• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Wheels and shocks

BikerBi11

A little too glossy for me, but heck, to each his own!! I see guys putting them fancy Hummer wheels on their trucks all the time!! For me, CARC looks good enough.

mikev

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got new Pro Comp wheels and All-Terrain T/A KO BFG tires today. Are the wheels too shiny? Gloss is all they had in 16X7 8X6.5 and I wanted to keep the stock size. I might have them painted, but I am looking for other comments.
They look good for gloss, but I'd have to see the whole truck.

Depends if you want to stay "pure" camo and authentic or not. If yes, then those Bilsteins need a coat of flat paint too...

I kept my '09 "camo" and painted my wheels satin black and painted my new "blue" shocks flat black...

mikev

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmm, re-looked your photos and see a "new" exhaust system?

Any details on it? I'm looking to buy a replacement, stock exhaust header back exhaust system and have not found a "bolt-on" kit yet...

Seems a lot of 1009s get systems made up at muffler shops...

OL AG '89

looks good. I did the same to my 09, but put 33x12.5x15's with 4" lift.....
I like the extra clearance, just enough for the fun, not too much to get in and out.
I also considered a light dusting of flat to knock off the shine, but have been doing other things...

idM1028

Shoot, as far as I'm concerned its YOUR truck. You can do whatever you want to it. It does look pretty sunny in those pics (at least sunnier than here today) which could be contributing to the gloss. Shiny or not, its nothing that a rattle can can't take care of.

M1008driver

I used V-Force mufflers from Pro Flo Performance Exhaust and 2 1/2 inch pipes. It got kind of pricey, but I don't slow down on hills anymore. Dual mufflers and dual exhaust pipes done buy a shop, $647. They give me a low rumble sound. The military had a mixture of different size exhaust pipes all welded together.

Those wheels only come in gloss for the stock tire size. I may buy one more for the spare and have them painted one at a time. They do look good to me, but I am not a gloss kind of guy.

EDIT- I will only buy Bilstein shocks for a long time to come. They are worth every penny. The old wheels and tires are going on my M101A1 trailer with a new 5 ton axle. I will need a receiver hitch too because of the lower height.

Attachments

Last edited:

SGT Estum

Personally, I would scuff them up with a scotchbrite pad and hit them with flat black Rustoleum spray paint. But that's just me :)

I recently did this with my stock M1009 wheels (except with wire cup/wheel brushs instead) and it turned out to be a lot more work than I expected, but I was happy with the end result. I did it in between switching tires so the tires were dismounted from the wheel -- taping would have added even more work.