• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New winch arrived!!

nickd

The wooden crate arrived today! Inside was an NOS mile marker 10k hydraulic winch, a complete kit. Thanks Mark for the heads up. I have been lubing up the lower A arm bolts in preparation for the install. I also scored an under the hood jack mout and the armor plating that goes on either side of the radiator to complement the ballistic front and hood grills. Not sure on the time line for the install yet. The new job sure cut into my free time! Merry Christmas to me! Happy New Year to all.

Nick DeNardo

PS: I welcome any and all winch install pointers and advice. Thanks guys

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Follow the directions. I gave you the secret for the A arm bolts. Replace all the power steering low pressure lines. It's easy, just follow the directions.

Augi

Whats the a-arm bolt secret? I'll be installing the same winch on my vehicle in a month or two.. I haven't received mine yet so I don't have the directions to read.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Milemarker has the directions online under the military section. Make sure you are getting the right winch kit for your HMMWV, as there are 3 versions.

Basically, remove the existing A arm bolts by inserting the new ones. You DONT want to totally remove the old ones, THEN insert the new ones, as you will then have to align everything, which makes a not fun job 10x harder.

Since you have time, start putting PB blaster on them now so it will break any rust that might be in there.

Augi

Ok thanks. Do I have to jack up the a-arm to take tension off, or just pound the bolt out with the new one? It also looks like the driver side brake caliper may interfere with bolt removal. Any trouble with this?

I've got the winch with the banjo fittings on the solenoids, which I believe is the correct one. The M1113 winch has the solenoids on the other side and there is a third winch with remote mounted solenoids for the M1114.

Thanks,
Augi

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
http://www.milemarker.com/PDF_Download/basic.pdf M998 Install manual.
::Mile Marker::Military Resource HMMWV info on MM winches

"pounding out the bolt" isnt the right technique unless you want to destroy the new bolt. It's a "loosen the old a few turns, put in the new one a few turns, repeat until old is out, and new is in" type of technique.

I dont remember the caliper being in the way, but it was a few years ago when I installed it.

The wire you need to connect the 24V+ to is the temperature sensor. MM tells you the wire band #, but it would of been alot easier if they gave you the band # AND "it's the temp sensor" wire.

Biggest piece of advice is FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS EXACTLY, and since all your PS low pressure lines are drained, it is a great time to replace them all. (Only a few feet of hose) Dont skimp on the air purge proceedure. 50 full stop to stop turns or so.

Good luck.

If your dont have or have removed the fording system, you can use the fording system valve to put the controller connection into on the dash. Thats what I did.

nickd

Thanks to Mark for the great tips! I took some time to get acquainted with the winch install this weekend. Yes the brake caliper must be removed to have the clearance to get the new bolt in. I basted the bolts in a combination of PB and a product called Nuts Off. I used a brush to slather both the threads of the bolt and the A arm joints. I used my 3/4" 120v impact wrench and the nut came right off and the bolt backed out a few turns. I am concerned about re mounting the Leverne brush guard.

TedG

I just replaced my lower a-arm bolts to do a electric winch install with the newer winch brackets. Use a floor jack to lift up on the a-arm just enough to take pressure off the bolt but I did not lift the tire off the ground. My bolts slid right out as I installed the new bolts. I did not have to remove the leftt front caliper to install the bolt. The right side is easier.

Regarding the luvern brush guard, you need to get the winch brackets which are completely different than the non winch brackets.

nickd

Does anyone have a picture of the brackets I need or a part number? My manuals do not show the Leverne brushguard and the milemarker winch combination

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you know what version/revision your install manual is? I have a complete winch setup in the box. I can go find it and the instructions in the box(I think I remember seeing them) and see if it's different than yours.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
So a buddy picked up a winch like in the manual that Mark posted, good info and thanks.

I've got winches that don't have the banjo bolts for the hydro fluid, or the solenoid built in. They also have a "shallow" mount if looking at the front with a long bottom/skid plate. Anyone have info on this other style? I will try to post pics tomorrow.

Augi

That's the rear winch. Mounts under the back bumper, I think at a slight angle.

You have to run hydraulic lines to the front of the truck and there is a manifold that mounts to the body by the hydroboost somewhere.

Augi