• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New York Questions..

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had forgotten about the "must be garaged" requirement that JC Taylor has. That became difficult for me, when I acquired more trucks than my garage could hold (at once). They did require me to send a picture of my trucks, inside the garage.

BajaEET

I just added mine to my Nationwide plan. It took my agent a little while to get it all figured out but now I can do whatever I want with it. I believe it is written up as a flatbed truck that's just heavier than most. The registration was expensive but not too bad. The biggest problem I had was finding a shop that does heavy vehicle inspections. Of course once I found one they just sort of chuckled at me, asked if everything worked, asked where they could get one, and then slapped a sticker on it. They did make sure the lights worked though.

CSX90

Litte update, I got it all added to my policy with Allstate for 10$ a month...?? How that wored out I have no idea.

Now the DMV fun.. I went there and I .. of course .. forgot a pencil rubbing, also, they want John (Jatonka) to fill out a MV-51B now as well as the MV-51 he already did. Im hoping this is all its going to take as it has never been registerd and no title.

MV-51B states that its for proof of ownership of a vehicle thats never been registerd and has no title.. so in theory, it should work, but everyone knows how the DMV has fun with your mind..

Also, I have been going to the Utica,NY DMV in the train station.

Any more comments/info please chime in :wink:

CSX90

Got all my paperwork out today with the help of jatonka, (he is a great guy I gotta say!) and the lady in Lowville this time told me I needed to take the truck and get it weighed and get a weigh cert. ? Anyone else had this or should I try going to another DMV.. again..?

Edit: This is directed at people in NYS, I read the thread about this in FL.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have had to get a cert weigh ticket. I get it at the county landfill scales. sounds "normal" for your situation.

rlwm211

As I recall, the only reason I did not have to have a weigh slip was because the SF-97 I got had the weiight for the vehicle on the document. If I understand your situation properly, you are buying the truck "used" from John and that would make things a bit different.

I have had the honor of having met JATONKA several times and John is a great guy and I have a lot of respect for him and know he is one of the most knowledgeable individuals I have ever met.

I hope everything works out soon for you.

RL

nnero

Registering was easy. We went to the DMV in Delhi, which is a rural, agricultural area and they had no problem. We brought the insurance card and a scanned picture of the id plate on the dash. We transferred the commercial plates from our F-250. We registered the Deuce for 18,000 lbs since will never carry more than 5000lbs in the bed. Insurance was a completely different story. They could not match the Deuce to anything in their **** computer. We were there for 2 hours and ended up leaving with a commercial auto policy from Progressive. Its expensive but we wanted to make sure we were covered in an accident. We still need to shop around.

CSX90

nnero, Did you have a transferrable reg or a title for the deuce when you registerd it? Or did you have to use MV-51 and MV-51B? Im wondering if I can just go to a different DMV and end up with it registerd without the hastle of weighing it at a cert. scale. I have no title and no reg to work off of.
Thanks.

nnero

Yeah, Kublos had that form for us, dont remember which one. We didnt have to have the truck weighed or anything. I think it was the form that stated the vehicle had never been registered or something along those lines. Sorry I cant remember more, but that was a year and a half ago. If I remember any more I will let you know. Are you still trying to get one registered?

TexAndy

I know it would be a real pain in the ass, what with all the traffic... but I would LOVE to see video of two or three Deuces driving through Times Square.

JeepMan

I think that a personal liability policy would be in order if your going to insure your vehicle on the cheap. Or, seriously consider spending the bucks for as much liability as you can get/want on the vehicle.

CSX90

Got it all registerd to the tune of a couple hundred for commercial plates with the correct weight. I had to go to a scale of course and all that. Insured as a 71 Jeep pickup.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have to get mine registered soon and pick out insurance. I told my insurance company (State Farm) that JC taylor quoted me $93 a year for insurance for the "72 AM General".State farm then said they could do the same coverage with collision, glass, comprehensive for $128 a year. State Farm never asked me what model or weight either. So i think i could take that quote and get the deuce insured for that $128 from state farm, then go get commercial plates. Am i correct with this? I dont need commercial insurance for commercial plates do I? Im just thinking i dont know what i will use the deuce for yet, so id rather play it on the safe side? who knows what i could haul in it, but then i wouldnt have to worry about pulling a utility trailer or a M105A2 (someday). I looked up the cost of commercial plates and it would be almost an even $200 for 2 years. Do i then have to have it commercially inspected with the sticker on the bumper then? I just plan on using my deuce for a big pickup and having fun with it....prolly be empty most of the time, but i still dont want to get busted incase heaven forbid i get in an accident hauling something (rarely) with historical insurance. What do you guys think? Thanks!:wink:

CSX90

As far as your insurance would go I do want to say you will be fine, as my truck only costs about 3$ a month just for liablitly. Inspection will have to be at a heavy shop (commercial trucks and the like) and it will have to have marker lights and a license plate light installed. You get to chose what sticker you want, the one on the bumper you need a CDL for, the other one on the windshield doesnt, simply put of course! It was called a "Safety Inspection". Thats how my experience was.

whyme

I have to get mine registered soon and pick out insurance. I told my insurance company (State Farm) that JC taylor quoted me $93 a year for insurance for the "72 AM General".State farm then said they could do the same coverage with collision, glass, comprehensive for $128 a year. State Farm never asked me what model or weight either. So i think i could take that quote and get the deuce insured for that $128 from state farm, then go get commercial plates. Am i correct with this? I dont need commercial insurance for commercial plates do I? Im just thinking i dont know what i will use the deuce for yet, so id rather play it on the safe side? who knows what i could haul in it, but then i wouldnt have to worry about pulling a utility trailer or a M105A2 (someday). I looked up the cost of commercial plates and it would be almost an even $200 for 2 years. Do i then have to have it commercially inspected with the sticker on the bumper then? I just plan on using my deuce for a big pickup and having fun with it....prolly be empty most of the time, but i still dont want to get busted incase heaven forbid i get in an accident hauling something (rarely) with historical insurance. What do you guys think? Thanks!:wink:
im in the process of dealing with state farm now. they are tottaly baffled by the truck. im trying to buy a 1953 deuce but they dont know how to deal with it. could you give me more info or a number i can have my agent call yours to sort this out? any help would be great. thanks.

Dan

Last edited: