• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New York State inspection

wayne pick

I had my truck inspected last saturday at the garage I hang out at. My friend Ronny jr, always the stone breaker asked me, "What is this thing" a K10? No JR, it's a K30 I insultedly replied. When he gave me the receipt, he said it came through as a gasser, I just chuckled and just stuffed the recepit it in my pocket. I looked at it today, and indeed it says gasolene as the fuel type. I checked the VIN# on the receipt, and it matches the registration. I figured he may have punched in the wrong numbers as he was yapping about the K10 thing. I may have screwed up though, stating it is a K30. The registration says it's a D30, but he scanned the sticker and it still came back as a gasser. anyone have this happen in NYS? Happy hollidays to all at SS.:)

K9Vic

The D30 or K30 has nothing to do with the fuel type, the 30 is the ton rating and has nothing to do with what engine is in the truck. The "K" is 4X4 and a "C" would be a 2WD. The "D" is just GMs code for military/postal vehicle and is the same as a K30, but has 1/4 more springs to make it a 5/4 ton. The eight digit is the engine type and that would be a "J" on any GM truck that has a 6.2L heavy duty engine.

The "J" is the 6.2L diesel engine, code is used on both military and civilian GM trucks. The civilian "J" code is not the same as the military "J" code.
http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/csb/full.aspx?Page=9
http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cc/full.aspx?Page=9

I would suggest going to another place next time as they have no clue what they are doing. If he this person cannot tell the difference from a K10 and K30 and/or a gas or diesel engine, you need to seek a different shop.

EDIT: I always state my CUCV trucks are a K30 because that is what is in the parts world. Saying it is a D30 at Auto Zone will get no results, so it is correct to reference it as a K30 or K5 for the M1009 (not D10).

Last edited:

wayne pick

I fully understand the D30 designation, Vic. When I said my friend was breaking my stones, If you have never heard that term, it means he was kidding around with me. He knows exactly what the truck is. The thread I posted was not about what NYS or any other DMV designates the vehicle as, it was about the truck coming back as a gasser from the NYS DMV data base. Sometimes thread replys morph into topics that have little to do with the original thread as your reply did. Try to have a good holliday!

K9Vic

I fully understand the D30 designation, Vic. When I said my friend was breaking my stones, If you have never heard that term, it means he was kidding around with me. He knows exactly what the truck is. The thread I posted was not about what NYS or any other DMV designates the vehicle as, it was about the truck coming back as a gasser from the NYS DMV data base. Sometimes thread replys morph into topics that have little to do with the original thread as your reply did. Try to have a good holliday!
That may be so, but I highly doubt the NYS DMV data base was incorrect here with identifying the "J" code as a gas and not a diesel. The eight digit is "J" and that is a diesel engine, a standard with all GM vehicles. It was entered incorrectly by your buddy, it is not the NYS DMV database that is in error.

wayne pick

Ok, here is The VIN# as printed on the inspection receipt. 1GBHD34J4GF******. The 8th character of course being the engine type, J code diesel. The eleven characters should be identical to your M1031. Thanks for your input. I'll contact NYS DMV and find out why it comes back as a gas fueled vehicle. Some input from members living in NYS would be helpfull though.

hodgeb

I had a difficult time with Progressive and my VIN. They kept telling me it wasn't in their database, and that the closest thing was a K10 (gasser). :|

wayne pick

Pretty shoddy investigative work on progressives part. the 5th character in the VIV# denotes the truck as 4X4 military and may have thrown them off. The 7th as a Blazer/jimmy, The 8th being engine type. If you tried to get insurance based on the M1009 designation, they would have no idea what you are talking about. Same thing at your auto parts store. All they really had to do is break down the VIN code to identify the truck. I had no problem with Geico. I got insurance online, but did have to talk to a customer service rep about the D30 designation, they thought it was a typo as a G30 van. and it being a Military truck. After that, they emailed the insurance cards and off to DMV I went. No problem at DMV either.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmm. With USAA, I gave them my VIN, and all they came back was a 1986 Chevrolet. They don't even list a model on the insurance card.
I gave USAA the serial number of my M38 and they were more than happy to list it as a "1951 M38 Jeep" I probably could have told them anything to put there and they would have. I haven't worked through the DMV yet due to a few other factors, so I don't know what will happen there.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What fuel type does your registration say ? If it's a gasser you need to change it . The shop is also able to do a manual change durning the inspection procress . The inspection machine reads the bar code off the windshield reg , so if it's wrong that could be the problem . NYS DMV does not use the vehicle's VIN for inspection , they use the windshield sticker or if no sticker then a manual entry . Whose the shop I will send one of the troops over and write the shop a VIO , LOL, just having a retired joke , NYSDMV (retired)

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll have to look into USAA, Are their rates cheaper?
They have been so far, but I haven't shopped around as I've been pretty happy with them. they are quick to respond and really haven't gotten any BS from them.

*that being said, I have yet to have an incident where I actually needed them to pay out or anything. I've had glass issues, but they have always recommended checking direct with local auto glass retailers, and that has always been cheaper than going through USAA

Last edited:

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use American Collectors Insurance , which is a part of USAA . Nice people to deal with and good rates . There only issue is they want ENCLOSED storage , which can be a problem . I have covered storage , so it's not a issue . I have all my vehicles reged as HX , cheap plates , probably the only DEAL in NYSDMV , wonder how they over looked that fee ?

Skinny

Obviously you want the correct VIN on your registration, sticker, and insurance card but...I'm sure no one cares due to the age of the vehicle as long as you do not live in a heavy emissions inspection county and will be looking for a cat on the exhaust.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks