• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

new

zmac

Hey guys. Im new here. Names zach. Im not to far away from purchasing my first deuce. Im looking for any info into what to look for mechanically before buying one. Im going to be purchasing from an auction unless i find a good deal on one from a local private seller. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Im hoping being a certified diesel mechanic i wont run into any major problems i cant resolve on my own.

197thhhc

You wont have any issues. You need to become very friendly with the search button. There are several threads on buying your first deuce. Also the manuals for the trucks are here and you should go over them pretty thoroughly...

and welcome to the site.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Attachments

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Zach,

Like others have said, the Deuces are pretty much gone from the auction sites. You'll be better off buying your first from a private seller. Read up on the TMs so you'll know what to look for and how to properly handle this beast.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
They are still available but prices are inching up every day....three years ago I was buying them for 1000 bucks and driving them home.

A lot of the ones being sold now are the dregs that units waited to the end to turn in so they would not have to put any money into them to bring them up to specs. You can no longer order parts for a deuce or 800 series 5 ton (according to my sources) which means they can be turned in as unrepairable.

Several deuces that sold near me recently went for slighly less than some very nice 900 series 5 tons. Two of them were in bad shape and missing parts.

Not to say that you can't get lucky but I would preview them first if possible.

michigandon

And don't forget to give the classifieds on this site a glancing over at least. Many nice units available that have most, if not all of the bugs worked out of them already.