• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New2Me 1961 M37

Txsrooster

Hello everybody. I am acquiring 1961 M37 out of Morganton, NC . It is supposed to be picked up next week for transport to Texas. It was parked in 2019 when they couldn't get it started. Said it may be the coil. I have been reading up on the forums and am really excited about receiving the truck.
If anyone is in the area and wants to take a peak at it or help move it for the transport...I would be grateful.

Txsrooster

This was the description
"1961 M37 Dodge Power Wagon 4 Wheel Drive Truck

Flat Head Engine, Removable Roof, Fold Down Windshields, Designed for Forging, Shortened Steering Wheel Shaft.
Small Steering Wheel, Power Steering Assist,
New Carburetor, Suicide Rims, Tires have Great Tread-- Oversized Michelin Marine Vehicle Assault Tires ($3,000
Manufactured and Available Only To Department of Defense), New Electric Fuel Pump, Black Out Lights, Turn Signals, Muffler Refitted Vertical Behind Cab.

Needs New Battery and Possibly a Coil, Needs New Seat Covers. Clear Title. "

I have ordered the new coil and it should be arriving in the next few days.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wonder what the difference is between “oversize Michelin Marine vehicle assault tires (available only to the department of defense)” and Michelin 11.00-16 XZL tires ( made for the military, but readily available for about $450 each last time I checked in June 2023)
Same thing. These are “LAV” tires.

John Mc

Is this picture the seller sent me (not sure how old these pictures are though) you can make out the XLZ on the front tire.
Looks just like my Michelin 11.00-R16 XZL tires. I paid $1580 ($395 each) +tax & shipping for a set of 4 back in Sept. 2021.

Brutus 9-14-23.jpg

Have fun with your truck. Looking forward to hearing about your progress getting it running.

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sadly, it looks like it's missing a tailgate... those are almost worth the value of the truck...

As far as the coil goes, is the replacement chrome or black? Chrome tend to be Chinese and npt last as long.

Items to looks for before attempting to start:

Check coolant/oil
Check the freeze plugs (side of the block) for holes
Open the adjustment wall(?) port(?) on the passenger side of the engine block and have a friend help spin the engine over by hand and make sure your valves are opening/closing.
Make sure your batteries are hot

These are just off the top of my head.

I'm sure our resident M37 guru @G744 can chime in with anything I missed.

Txsrooster

Sadly, it looks like it's missing a tailgate... those are almost worth the value of the truck...

As far as the coil goes, is the replacement chrome or black? Chrome tend to be Chinese and npt last as long.

Items to looks for before attempting to start:

Check coolant/oil
Check the freeze plugs (side of the block) for holes
Open the adjustment wall(?) port(?) on the passenger side of the engine block and have a friend help spin the engine over by hand and make sure your valves are opening/closing.
Make sure your batteries are hot

These are just off the top of my head.

I'm sure our resident M37 guru @G744 can chime in with anything I missed.
Thanks for the quick list. Truck is delayed being picked up due to all the rain they had yesterday.
I ordered the coil from DeBella Jeep Parts as was recommended in this forum.
The tailgate I will keep my eye out for one. I believe I saw somewhere you can get a new one for around 600 but doesn't come with the pioneer tool rack and shipping would probably eat my lunch.
Once it arrives, I will check if it has points and condenser or has been upgraded...if it's still points I will order a some while I go through everything else on the truck.

John Mc

I've not seen anyone selling a reproduction tailgate, though there were rumors a few years ago that one of the well-known vendors of parts was working on one. Unfortunately, I can't remember who it was, and have not heard anything since then.

One thing to check for is rust. You really want to start with a solid frame. Common rust areas are: where the headlights attach top the fenders (Charles at M-series Rebuild sells a patch kit if you have this problem), bottom of the door frame area, the under-bed tool storage area. I'm sure there are others.

The Debella Jeep Parts coils seem to be working out well. I've got over 7000 miles on mine with no problems - driving in all sorts of conditions. I have not heard any complaints. (They are made in China, but seem to be working out much better than the chrome Chinese imports. Peter did look all over the US to find a manufacturer who would make a run of them, but none were willing.)

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Depending on where you are in Texas, I have a second tailgate that needs a little repair (and no pioneer tool rack) that I can give you. There is some rust along the bottom "pole hole" from rain, but I think that's the extent of it.

I'll be in the Dallas area on the 17th.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Santa Fe is on the south side of Houston, toward Galveston. ;)

Txsrooster, the pioneer tool rack is the same as on M35s and all sorts of other vehicles, they are easy to come by.

Cheers

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks