• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newb here, question from the wiser Deuce owners

whyme

Justifying a "need" for a deuce is about as futile as telling mom those magazines under your bed as a young teen where not yours...

gunboy1656

Well if you get bored one day, mark off an area of you house 11.5' by 7.5' and fill it as full as you can. that will give you how much available space you have.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I suppose the real deciding factors here are A: how much does a deuce cost on the west coast, as opposed to the east coast?
A lot more to buy, insure and operate...diesel is out of sight out there. You need a Class A CDL too.

What percentage chance would I have of breaking down on the way to california?
That depends on your relationship with Jesus and Mr. Murphy.

rofl

micmccon

I'm not sure I could empty out one side of my basement into a deuce. They're not that tall inside the back with the bows and canvas. Perhaps if you stacked boxes only in the back to capacity,pulled a trailer with the car on it and your wife followed with a smaller U- Haul with just furniture in it.....You still get the deuce, the dog gets to enjoy your company (and lose his hearing) you can enjoy the smell of diesel and grease, smoke cigars and not hear your wife complaining about how slow you are driving! WIN![thumbzup]

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The only thing you need to know is your back side will NEVER recover from that road trip in a deuce. Even if you could get your stuff to fit in the deuce, you will be murdered by "the boss" for taking that long of a trip in a deuce. If you want to stay married, get a Uhaul.

If you need a better reason to own a deuce, other than "I want one so I am buying it" forget it. The only real reason to have a deuce is I want it. Women don't understand. Some do, but not many.

ZombK

Thanks again for all the responses. I suppose a deuce will just have to wait. My back thanks all of you, and so does my wife. Probably my dog too. Maybe I'll pick up a deuce when I move to California...

rlwm211

You want a deuce.

You will need to move

You probably will not be able to move all your "stuff" with a deuce even with a trailer behind it to carry more "stuff" forgetting the car for the moment.

So the deuce would appear to be a poor candidate for a moving truck at this time.

How do you resolve this dilemna of wanting a deuce and needing to move...???????

Option 1) Buy a deuce. Rent a smaller Uhaul or equivalent with car hauler trailer and make one trip accross the country to get the MRS settled in. Then fly cross country and haul the rest with the deuce on your second trip. Have the trip of a lifetime and stories to tell your grandkids and everyone you meet.

Option 2) Get the biggest UHAUL and car hauler and haul all your "stuff" and think about buying a deuce 'someday' on the west coast.

Of the two choices number one is obviously the one to go with. Look at it this way. You only live one life. Cross country trips are getting more rare as the cost of fuel rises and times are changing. You can do both, spend a bit more than you would by not buying a deuce, and the cost of the trips in option one will be the best money you ever spent on you and your MRS. You can arrange stop points and meet a huge cross section of the SS community and with good planning have all the support you need and most of your "stuff" already in CA so the second trip is more for you than to move stuff.

While money is always an object of concern...how much do you spend on stuff almost mindlessly everyday that could be funneled intp a great adventure???????

I know what I would do....

Zepol95

Have all your stuff moved in PODs, fly to CA (or drive your POV) and buy a Deuce at your leisure. You'll be much happier in the long run not driving ANY large truck across the country.
The is THE BEST idea I have seen on here so far. I'd do this, wait about 6 months, then buy a deuce...Maybe not in California, but there are plenty of places within a day or 2 drive that will have great deals.

ZombK

Option 1) Buy a deuce. Rent a smaller Uhaul or equivalent with car hauler trailer and make one trip accross the country to get the MRS settled in. Then fly cross country and haul the rest with the deuce on your second trip. Have the trip of a lifetime and stories to tell your grandkids and everyone you meet.

Actually my wife is planning on renting a uhaul, and towing her car behind it a few months before I leave... And I'll fly out with the little man, then fly back. With the minimal stuff that I'll have, maybe I'll be able to fit it all in a deuce after all... My main concern is if something were to fail. The time, and unexpected money spent could end up making a complete fool of me. I would definitely have to set up some sort of planned stops near to other deuce owners who could (and would) help me out if I were in a bad situation.

Although, the thought of another adventure makes me salavate with excitement... :grin: I LOVE me a good adventure!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks