• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newb in AZ

redneck20

Hello, I've been reading forums and TMs on this site for a few years now and finally decided to register and post.

I'm Nate , 25 from phx, az. I'm very mechanically inclined and pretty knowledgable about diesels.

Anywho... I'm getting pretty close to purchasing a m923/925 or 931/932.
Still going back and forth as to getting one from a private party or from GL. Only issue is I can't find a private party sale for a decent price.

I've noticed a lot of the trucks on GL say "does not start" or "does not run".
It is usually just a case of dead batteries, fuel shutoff, or fuel blockage? I know it could be anything but what is the common thing ?
Is there a proffered shipping agent that people here use? That is easy on the wallet?

I've searched for a while but does anyone know what the wieght of bobbed 923 is?
I'm guessing somewhere around 16-17k???

redneck20

Also the classified rules state that you must be a paying member to post an ad.
Is it also required to post a reply in a for sale ad?
I tried to respond to an ad the other day and was denied..lol

I'm going to purchase a membership regardless , just curious.

MtnSnow

Welcome

As for the classified you need to "reply" to ads via the Private Messaging system is how the admins want it done.

As for purchasing out of GL unless you are able to preview the trucks don't bid over what your willing to write-off. Sometimes you make out like a champ and other times you might come home dragging a pile of poop

WRMorrison

Nice to see you over here Nate! I hear 'ya on the local sale vs. decent price...it's clear that there's a few locals looking to get rich on GL buys.

If you end up winning an auction and need a copilot, let me know and I'll tag along if the timing works out.

-WRM

61sleepercab

Welcome to the site. I have Sandy the GL auction find M925 that I found in Indianapolis and My friend and I drove home 400 miles without much trouble. I could not preview and used the descriptions and videos of about 15 trucks coming up and kept bidding my price till I got one. Once inspected,I lucked out with strong engine/trans, almost new tires and in generally good shape. I did not take chance on non runners without preview.
It is like buying a 20,000 pound used car that they said "she used to run good"buying without preview and review of any turn in or fleet records or great windshield love notes like no brakes, etc. My trucks paper work stated that peeling paint on ends of radiator was corrosion and they turned it in with 47,000 miles, and the winch cable has never been unspooled with the cable grease still there.
The advantage of a private truck is you can eyeball the heck out of it and do a good test drive of what you are looking at.
Remember the first guy that buys from the GL lot takes all the risk of a blown up junker with bad stuff like goofy transfer,bad axles bearings etc and the cost of recovery.
I had $400.00 in fuel for Sandy and the chase truck in no time flat. So I think that the recovery of a good truck parked locally with a proven history is worth something between the GL Price and the Trucks private selling price. With fuel,time,cost of title work, I have $750.00 above auction price with no profit.
My advice is research what trucks are bringing, save the most money you can spend, and buy the best shape truck first. Let Uncle Sam foot the bill for good tires etc.
Have fun.
I also have a m35A2 Kaiser Deuce bought locally which maybe named Saigon Sally as she is a Vietnam era truck with recent brake work, new clutch and extra goodies by the local owner who bought her from a local VFD, so i knew the truck history for 20 years. Mark

kwest

Welcome to the site Nate: My name is Ken and I lve in Camp Verde, glad to have another member here in Arizona we all need to get something planed and go for a trip. I have an M109A3 and love it. If you need anything E-mail me and I will try to help any I can

WRMorrison

Awesome! I know there's a few deuce winches locally; probably some for the 5T's too. Just post up that you're looking for one (when you're ready) and I'm sure somebody local has one.

-WRM

redneck20

Well it was a long yesterday but made it back with no issues, ran like a champ the whole way...
My back and butt are killing me... Something is gonna get done about the seat , lol.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392563074.868419.jpg

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad you had a good trip.
Is your truck missing the cab top?
S/S Castle Bravo has a tan one for sell. FYI

redneck20

No it needs to have the plastic strip on the front put back on . We pulled it off becuase it was flapping in the wind bad.
And it was such a beautiful day it was nice to have the top off, sunny an 75 all day
It's gonna get repainted back to green here soon so I'll need green covers

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks