• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newb in Irvine CA needs brake help

harmoniums

I've come into posession of a 1970 A2. I drove it to its RV park and checked it yesterday.
No brakes.
Anybody local able to help me bleed them off and top up the fluid?
I have NO idea how to!
I'll compensate of course, $$$, beers or Ammo
Thanks

steelandcanvas

I'm sure there are guys out your way that will help you, however, go to the top of the page and click on resources, then click on technical manuals. Study up on your truck a little and your helpers will be most appreciative.:-D

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree, read the appropriate manual first. I have a bleeder you can borrow. You'll need to decide if you wana keep it mil. silicone or change it over to civi stuff...the two don't like to mix. PM me if you need help.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
TM 9-2320-361-10 and TM 9-2320-361-20 are the 2 you need first. The -20 covers the bleeding.

harmoniums

the one in the great park.
Theres a guy with another M35 and 105 trailer a few spaces up from me
I also passed some russian armored car in the same area

harmoniums

Bump, I really would like to have an old master on hand to give me some help.
As I said this will be a paying gig.
Pls PM me if you can help

Keith_J

If you can swing the airfare for me and my tools (~150 pounds of tools), I'm willing to help. I don't charge much...a brake system fix? I would recommend pulling all 6 wheels, checking shoes and cylinders, repacking all 12 bearings, overhauling each wheel cylinder, inspecting brake lines and flush? $300 plus parts and tool rental, I cannot fly with a wheel dolly (rent an engine hoist). With assistance, it is a good day's work. Bearing packer really speeds the process.

Yes, I know what I am doing.

Keith_J

Step 1 is inspection. Check brake fluid. Should be DOT 5 silicone. Check each wheel for brake fluid, if leaking, it will come out of the slot on the backing plate. If leaking, wheel MUST come off.

Step 2 is bleeding. Pressure bleeding using the improvised (~$30 in parts) or commercial ($80) helps greatly. The master cylinder cap has a 1/8 NPT threaded fitting, this is where you connect to the pressure bleeder and why it is so easy to do. You could also pressurize it with 15 PSI air, regulated. But you will have to top off every wheel or booster pack bleeding.

Step 3 is shoe adjustment. This requires jacking the wheel off the ground and removal of the drive flange for ease of rotation. There are 4 adjusters per wheel plus an inspection port on the brake drum, rear wheels must come off.

Step 4 is cleanup and double check for leaks. Make sure the brake pedal stops at least midway through its travel. If not, you need to adjust the brake shoe clearances in #3.

Double check each flexible brake line before operating. Any leak is bad and vehicle should not be driven.

Heavysteven

Keith,
Have you ever considered moving to Georgia? You sound like a guy in the know.

Seriously though, I would be more worried where all your brake fluid went..lines wheels

Keith_J

Georgia? I could be tempted to take a road trip :wink:. Like Cesar Milan, I rehabilitate Deuces and train owners.

Most of the time, the missing brake fluid leaked past the wheel cylinder cups because the spring inside the wheel cylinders was cylindrical without any cup expanders on the ends. Every light vehicle I have worked on had spring caps which functioned as cup expanders. Without expanders, the cups weep brake fluid. Lose enough and the other wheel cylinders can leak because negative pressure (vacuum) develops in the brake fluid system.

Everything I have seen from OD Iron is top notch. Some of the seals on these trucks have been :-x, mold sprues ON THE SEALING SURFACE? No wonder they leak.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
5 months later!!?? How'd you let it sit for that long and not get the bug to drive it :wink:
PM me. I think we can work something out.

Will

mhb285

I /we put a note on the front seat of your truck when we spotted it a couple o' months ago. It has our e-mail adderss's on it. (mike & walt)..
I guess you didn't see it. We work on our trucks a couple of times a month on the old base...
FYI
Mike