• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newb looking to get a cucv on LI. Educate me!

Dabba

Hey, i post over a ck5 and i currently own an 86k5 thats on its way out. I figure since im gonna get another truck i might as well get the one i want. Im looking for an m1008 or m1028, preferably the m1028. What should i know about these trucks as compared to the k series pickups? Any tips before buying one? And, where should i get one? Im looking for secondhand, and i know of liquidation. Id prefer secondhand but if i need to ill go through the government. Any tips with dealing with them/govliquidation? Any other sources of cucvs? And i know theres not alot in the area for sale so im wondering how i would go about shipping one and how much it would be? I wish it were as easy to walking onto a base with a wad of cash haha. OH yeah, i forgot, im from long island, new york. I also wanted to make sure one of these cucvs could get a title here and be successfully inspected. Thanks.

BobM

Check the classifieds if you want one with a title. I won my M1008 on 8-8-08 and am still waiting for my SF-97 so I can legally drive it! :lol:

86M10086.2L

Where on LI are you? I had to go to Penn. to get mine, had title, got temp tags, drove it home. Paid alittle more than GL price for it, but I'm happy with it. Check out Colemans Militray surplus, that's where I bought it. I imagine that the other M1008 they had and the M1009 are still there. At least the might be worth a look. About a 4.5 hour drive from LI, alittle more than 5 comming back in a M1008 damn 4.56's...... Check the classifieds here too, there are a couple in the New England area the last time I checked and theres a guy in NJ that I'vetalked to a few times that usually has a bunch of them and he and his father are usually selling one.

AJMBLAZER

86M10086.2L said:
...and theres a guy in NJ that I'vetalked to a few times that usually has a bunch of them and he and his father are usually selling one.
Dabba, he's referring to 84CUCV. Goes by a slightly different name here. Like I said over there he's in your region and generally is nose deep in CUCV's and that vintage Chevy.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bottom line from a someone who has dealt with the DMV in NY...

If the SF-97 doesnt list YOU as the new owner, or if you dont have a current title, it wont get registered in NY, Period.

Make sure any truck you buy has a current title, or the SF-97 lists YOU (not a middleman) as the owner.. That will ensure smooth sailing thru DMV. Anything else, and you will have an unregisterable truck in NY.

Passing inspection is all a function of the truck being able to pass the inspection. If it is in decent shape and everything works (lights, brakes, tires OK, etc) you wont have a problem.

DO NOT BUY ANYTHING from a seller that says "I dont have the title or paperwork or the SF-97 is in another name, but you shouldnt have a problem with DMV" truck.... You will have a problem... You wont be able to get it registered..

Dabba

Thanks for the advice guys. I regually check craigslist in the area using craigshelper, as well keep my eye on ebay and ck5/steelsoldiers. I dont quite have the funds yet but im trying to kill myself at work with Overtime. I live in centereach, suffolk county. I saw a few of 84cucv stuff he was selling, but im looking for one with the carc paint and i dont wanna repaint. IF thats the cucv you bought in your avatar that looks awesome, what did you pay? Is it possible to get temp tags from a private sale?

Dabba

No, never did. The only cucvs i saw from him were the two white ones he had listed on ck5. I didnt want to PM him asking "Hey, got any extra ones? 100%military please?" HAHA I do watch craigslist often and ck5 so i guess if he has him hes not interested in selling. That or im missing alot. :(

AJMBLAZER

At various points he's had over 10 73-87 GM trucks and the majority are CUCV's or government vehicles. His family seems to have some kind of a pipeline into the government on them. Almost bought a M1009 from him earlier this year but the wife shot me down.

spentshell

Centereach, your right up the road from me. Im over in Holtsville north of the LIE. Keep your eye out on craigs list in NJ, I see them there from time to time, welcome to the site.

86M10086.2L

Yes, thats my truck in my avatar. I'm in Commack. Pa. issues temp tags at vehicle dealers, or there are many other private places you can get temporary transport tags. All you need is a insurance card and the paperwork for the vehicle for them to put down on the paperwork. I was lucky that the place I got it from had them, if not there was a service station up the road I could have gotten them from too. I talked to 84CUCV a few weeks ago Looking for a troop top setup and he said they had a couple of trucks comming in. Might be worth it to check with him.

Dabba

wow, looks great. Anyone know his Name on these forums? If not i guess i can pm him over on ck5. Man i just got off 3 days straight at work, sleeping at the station. Not fun but i def can keep doing this for the truck haha!