• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newb Needs Tire Advise Please

jsrovers

Hey everyone,
I just bought a 1987 1 ton 6.2l diesel Chevrolet military pickup and it needs tires in the worst way. In stock form what is the largest tire I can fit on the vehicle? I am planninng on putting something a little more aggressive and want to gain as much speed as I can without having to lift the truck. Any input would be much appreciated.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey everyone,
I just bought a 1987 1 ton 6.2l diesel Chevrolet military pickup and it needs tires in the worst way. In stock form what is the largest tire I can fit on the vehicle? I am planninng on putting something a little more aggressive and want to gain as much speed as I can without having to lift the truck. Any input would be much appreciated.

I run 255/85-16 BFG Muds. They are 33.3" tall and require no modifications to run with the stock wheels.

Attachments

rizzo

I run 315/75 R 16 good year MTR's. I had to cut little pieces of sheet metal off the inside of the fenders on the front. I also think the tire hit the fender while offroading. soooo you may wann stick to the smaller tires.

jsrovers

Thank you for the help. Through some more research I have gone ahead and ordered a set of five 285-75-16's. Going to have them mounted, balanced and do a front end alignment all at the same time. Shortly after I am welding some new cab corners, putting on new front inner fender wells, installing new interior and the truck is getting repainted. It only has 13,275 miles on it so it should look and feel new again!

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice looking truck there 11Echo!
Thanks. Other than the new tires, I have not done anything to the truck.

The original poster moves fast. I had been looking for more tire info for him and he already has ordered tires. I guess I'm getting slow!

These tires all have some height without being real wide.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks