• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newb question - towing cost

wanabecruisen

Love the site and can't stop reading and learning! Thanks!

OK -now- stupid Newb question here. I'm thinking about bidding on one of the Deuces from Hooks but most say running condition unknown. I've got a one ton Dodge I could make the 2.5 hour pull with if I HAD TO but I would feel much better paying for a tow. Is there anybody in the Southeast Arkansas area that I could contact for this service? What would a ballpark cost be for say 150 mile pull (one way miles)?

Sorry if I'm in the wrong area but wanted your Deuce specific knowledge. Thanks in advance.

papercu

Around here, (South GA) tows run 1.50-2.50 loaded mile. You will need to check with your local towing company to find their prices. Just google. They will ask about the size and/or weight.
Unless you have a lot of experience in towing I wouldn't use a 1 ton truck. Wayne

1qwkgoat

I got on Uship.com listed my shipment and recieved about 10 bids on it. You can read all the shippers feedback from other people they have hauled for.

The average for me seems to be right at 1000.00 for a 560 mile haul, for a deuce on a step deck

GoHot229

I think He's looking for one of you local Good'ol boys to jump in and put a tow bar and git'er done, ya think.... If you had a bar and I were closer, I'd jump in there but I'm 800 miles away = 1,600 miles drive to have fun

ARYankee

I could give you a hand in your recovery efforts...... As far as towing.... I don't have a tow bar but if you could borrow one I may be able to help you out. Or you could hold out for a bit because I'm going on a trailer recovery at Camp Robinson this Friday and can look at the deuces there. I was told that he is expecting 30 more in. That is if you wanted to wait. I can always run up there and preview for you or you could go with me.

Last edited:

nhdiesel

If that Dodge has the Cummins in it, and you have a properly rated trailer with working brakes available, you could do the tow no problem. We did one with a 1-ton '06 Chevy, using a 10 ton trailer (Deuce is only around 13,500#) and had no problems during the 500 mile pull. Key words being a trailer being rated high enough, and good brakes.

Jim

wanabecruisen

Towing it with my Dodge Cummins would not be my idea of "fun" but I have done far worse (1,000 mile tandem tow for example). In fact. my 5th wheel weighs in at just about 13,000 and I've pulled it all over. Also, I do some rock crawling and my last set-up was a gooseneck trailer(5,600#) with a truck camper mounted on the front (2,000#) and my crawler behind that (5,400#). I pulled that thing all over hell's half acre with no problems. All that said, I would feel much better hiring this little job out and would gladly pay $2.50 per loaded mile estimated above.

I'm not in any hurry and don't mind taking advice - I've got a LOT to learn. Also, I really appreciate the offers of help! You guys don't know me from Adam but sure step right up to offer help don't 'ya?

ARYankee, I may take you up on one or two of your kind offers (the offer to check out the Deuces at Robinson at least. Thanks). Again, I'm in no rush and would rather take my time and do this right...

Gotta say it....I think I'm gonna like it here! Thanks all!

nhdiesel

This is a shot of what we came back from PA with. It towed great, didn't notice any difference between that and a 10k trailer behind it. Some of the pros driving Hotshots around the country tow a hell of a lot more than that on a daily basis. Use your head, as long as you aren't new to towing, you'll be fine. You mentioned pulling campers...there are lots of campers that aren't much lighter than that load, being pulled by 85y.o. blue-hairs who can barely see past the hood.

02-15-08_1423.jpg

Jim

ARYankee

Turns out I wasn't thinking earlier so I pulled my head out of my butt. You can always come by and take a look at my deuces as well. Plus I'm selling one of them. You are more than welcome to come by and take a look and a drive. Just let me know.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks