• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newb to the Deuce

12valve350

Hey all! Just joined the site by a referral from a friend to stop by. After he got his CUCV blazer i was really interested in these old military vehicles, and im thinking a 80's ear M35A2. Ive always liked how they looked and sounded,although ive never had the oppertunity to drive one and i have a few questions. What are the pro's and con's of owning and driving one of these, i plan to drive it alot (if thats even practical) and was wondering like max speed, fuel mileage, insurance(?) do they have heat? Any info on this will be greatly appreciated and taken into consideration when i finally bring one home!

Pinz25086

Welcome to the site from sunny Orlando! Max speed for long periods of time is about 50 mph. Some are faster but not by much. Fuel mileage is between 6 - 10 mpg. If MPG is an issue, you are looking at the wrong vehicle. Insurance is not that hard to get and depending on what you by the cost is not that bad either. Some have a heater, but all of the get warm in the cab from engine heat! As far as driving one long distance, you will either love it or hate it. I brought mine back from AR (about a 1000 miles) and it took 23 hours. It was an adventure that I am not in a hurry to do again. With all of this said, I would not sell my truck any time soon. The are a blast to take out in the woods. Go ahead and get one but be warned, once you get one you will find a reason to get more old MV's.

Wayne

Heavysteven

I enjoy mine but could never drive it daily. MPG is like 8 and top speed 50. It's a monster off road. Pretty easy to work on. Make sure you have space to keep it. I own mine purely as a hobby.

DieselBob

:ditto: what these to gentlemen have said. Be aware that these trucks are not allowed to be parked in some residential ares. They have 3 axles and by some local codes that makes them commercial. Do your research on restrictions where you plan to keep it so you don't have a nasty surprise. 2cents

12valve350

Yeah i never thought about the triple axle thing, i do live in a quiet residential neighborhood. Thanks for the heads up,i appreciate it. fuel mileage isnt an issue, it wont be my daily driver, but mostly a weekend cruiser, and a big one-upsmanship to my buddies K5 . So a 100 mile round trip each weekend wouldnt hurt one? And anything to look for/stay away from ?

Last edited:

RAYZER

you must buy one! mpg is'nt an issue for me because i run some free fuel,wmo,wtf,wvo,old diesel, old gas,ect.i bought an old parts truck cheap so used parts are not a problem, if you look for a good deal on one and buy it, it will never be worth less, i dont drive mine every day but look for excuses to drive it every other day, i park mine in my driveway ( for the past 6 mo's ) in a quiet residential hood with no problems so far because the neighbors think it's cool (lady from the hoa lives across the street), its camo so it blends in with the trees! im just waiting for that notice from code enf though, i do have another place i can park it. If you dont like alot of attention dont get one, if you dont want alot of new good friends with like intrest's, dont get one, and if you do get one,then be prepaired to spend alot of time trying to figure out how to get more! Welcome to the club!

RAYZER

One More thing though...what the **** am i gonna do with it besides attract attention :mrgreen:
You can : haul fire wood, rocks, mulch, cow manure , help your friends move, drive it to mv rallys, through mudholes and up steep hills, camp In the back, drive it in parades, haul up to 20 troops in the back, work on it ,drive it to blockbuster to return a movie, to Ihop for breakfast, to dennys for supper, to your friends house for a cookout on Sunday, drive your kids to school in it, take your Wife out to a movie and icecream on sat night, use it for emergency rescue, escape from a flood, mount a snow plow to the front of it, and last but not least, use it to get away from the zombies when they attack!

mikeroot2

One More thing though...what the **** am i gonna do with it besides attract attention :mrgreen:
Anything you want! Also, I get between 11 and 13MPG on straight diesel. Super single it with 395's and you can hold 62MPH all day long which in my opinion is plenty fast for a truck this size.

Yes you can get them with heat.

If you ask your local town hall or village office about the legalities of parking in your driveway might I suggest you call, not walk in and don't tell them exactly what it is you're looking to buy or who you are. Just tell them it has 3 axles and a GVWR of 19,000lbs. It weighs about 13,000lbs.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks