• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

newbe wants your thoughts.

paradeduty

Well - Here's my 2 Cents worth.

I have had a few MV trucks.

Now remember - this is from my point of view and everybody is different, so ..........

I enjoy playing. Don't get me wrong, I have done engine swaps and stuff. But to be honest with you, that was more than a couple of years ago and I'm not getting any younger. I tend to do a lot of my projects on my own which means that big projects are big work. I have found that I enjoy playing with the trucks (along with the necessary tinkering and maintenance included) much more than the heavy wrenching. I have many friends that just love a complete tear down, etc., but I can only speak from my experience.

The point is - figure out what you want to do with the truck(s). Remember, there is only so much time in the day. If you are one who is a born mechanic and loves being under the truck more than in it (again, I know many who do - never get a hot rod past primer because all of the "creativity" is done so the rest is just work) then by all means buy a project truck and have fun. Just remember - big toy means big parts and big tools. Many of these tasks can be dangerous if not done with the proper tools and experience. Sometimes I wish that I had those types of skills and determination. My hat goes off to the restorers (a certain Damon and a HEMTT come to mind!) On the other hand, if you are as I am and end up spending more time playing than wrenching, I have found two things that were a plus. First, get a vehicle that is the "easyest" to operate. This is not intended to test the wimp factor. By no means, as far as I know, the heavier the truck - the more probable it is that it has power steering. Definitely a plus in my book. I have had 3 different styles of deuces (M211, M34, and M46A2C). Trust me, until I got my first 5-ton (with power steering), I didn't know what I was missing. All of a sudden I could enjoy more and grunt less. And remember, the deuces and 5-tons are both 8' wide, only a few feet different in length (with standard wheelbase) and deffinitely worth the difference in weight. There are other things to consider such as transmission. One 5-ton that I had came with an Allison Automatic. Very cool and very fun. Second thing if your just out to have fun - get the most complete, best running truck you can. The last truck I bought I did so already restored. Got in, fired it up, and just had fun. And you know that I still admire the guys who did the restoration. Even though I paid for it, I can't help but marvel at the work that goes into much of these trucks (again, big truck = big project).

Next - figure out how much you have or want to spend on a new toy. This is almost as important as what you want to do. I have found that, if I can afford it, sometimes I just can't deny that I get a better product by buying it from those who know exactly what they are doing (and have done it many times before). If finances are an issue, then this may answer a lot of the other questions. If you can spend a little more sometimes you can wrench a little less.

Well, I guess I have babbled enough. Hope you can get something out of this.

Good Luck

Dave

zb39

My brother in law is in Medina. i'm 2 hours east. Come on over and drive one of mine. Plenty to choose from as well as a 5 ton and trailers. Comments on a field full of dueces.......IS SPOT ON!!!:-D

JoeD

Guys,
thanks for all the comments. You all have helped in my decision to buy one.
I think my best bet is to get one already restored since my job certainly puts a damper on a lot of my free time.
My wife is all for getting a deuce so how could I go wrong??!!

JoeD

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks