• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

newbie 29 palms ca

slotman

Hi all, I've been lurking for a while. just got a truck from bryan heer, he and his brother are great to talk to and deal with. I bought a 1971 m35a2 whistler turbo hard top air shift, tyler said he would introduce me to the guys at the fontana yard. sounds like a great place, maybe i can do that here if they are viewing this. by the way if someone is looking for an exhaust break there is one on ebay 200250504010 that you could adapt. I've got a lot of questions but im going to use the search function first to see how many i can find. you guys have put together a wealth of information so now i'm going to put my thoughts together and in the future write a long post. thanks in advance, larry

ems4ty

Larry, Let me be the first to welcome you to Steel Soldiers! I hope that you made it back in one piece from Santa Ana... Anyways, sometime we get a meet together to go the Fontana Scrap Yard, though its been quite a while. Hopefully Will Wagner, Hole, DJFreema, and a few others will chime in here and maybe work on getting something going again. BTW - I hear that the Stoddard Wells Trip may be getting discussed soon, looks like someone else recently started a thread on a meet in Johnson Valley or somewhere in the San Diego areas...

Let me know if there is anything that I can help you with. Good luck and again Welcome!

BTW - Be sure to check out the "Resources" section of this site for some very useful info!

-Tyler

slotman

long list

trying to get everything together but here is the short list i want to bob the truck because of many things. cal dmv laws cdl, shorter turning radius. i like super singles but expensive, so less tires and rims a plus. so i will be looking for some one, hopefully close, with front springs, u bolts, mounts, etc. spring drivers seat for passenger side. 29 palms gets hot so a/c would be nice my thoughts are 5000 btu window air conditionor 120vac 500watts mounted between seats through back of cab 8" in 5"out 1200 watt generator in bed to run it for 6 hrs run time on 1 gal gas, also gen can be used for other things, so can air conditionor, in tent for camping lights electric chain saw window in master bed room garage etc. ebay gen new $125, air conditionor $75 new. power steering air-o- matic or fab my own from parts. I have heard ford f600 power steering may work? but long list left like backup camera. i will get all together and post long list for help. suggestions, parts, etc. thanks for the reply, larry

Rolling_Eudaimonia

Wow... everyone wants to cut the rear tandems down to a single axle ... I must be the only one who wants to put a third drive axle in the Deuce so it has more traction four axles all with 395/85R 20's with ARB Air Lockers. Now that is what I call a truck... Add a 3116 Cat to the mix and new 6sp fuller transmission and i think you have the perfect Daily Driver.

ems4ty

Larry,

Well, I can tell you that the guys out in Fontana should have a set of front leafs (or even a take out from an M105) that will work for bobbing the deuce. They should have several of the items that you need since I have inquired about it before from them. Though I can't remember what the price was. With the price of scrap metals through the floor right now the pricing shouldn't be too terrible. Will need to get something going with the other locals to see if we can get a trip scheduled to go there. Be sure to bring cash though. No checks, credit cards or the like accepted...

Geeze, if I would have known you were thinking of bobbing it, then you could of had the M105 Trailer that I got and would have been set. Oh well... There's plenty out there if you can find them.

Good luck my friend,

-Tyler

slotman

tires axles

hey, i like the size of those tires and locker idea. i was thinking along the size of 14.5r 20 or 365/80r20 for mine but only here in kalifornia would you want less axles. you need comerical class b licence for 3 axles, cal numbers, higher insurance rate and log book, etc., etc. wish i lived in kentucky but i guess you cant have everything. also, has anyone put a hydrolic clutch slave cylinder on? should be 2/3 lighter to push down. let me explain, with 3 herniated discs and pain down my left leg, pushing a hard clutch in traffic becomes a pain, no pun intended.

Rolling_Eudaimonia

hey, i like the size of those tires and locker idea. i was thinking along the size of 14.5r 20 or 365/80r20 for mine but only here in kalifornia would you want less axles. you need comerical class b licence for 3 axles, cal numbers, higher insurance rate and log book, etc., etc. wish i lived in kentucky but i guess you cant have everything. also, has anyone put a hydrolic clutch slave cylinder on? should be 2/3 lighter to push down. let me explain, with 3 herniated discs and pain down my left leg, pushing a hard clutch in traffic becomes a pain, no pun intended.
The clutch doesn't seem to need that much pressure to me. Pesonally, I would take the CDL in California because I'm thinking about Berkley for Graduate School. So I plan on getting a CDL soon.

ems4ty

You are required to have a log book, higher insurance, weight fees, and Cal/DOT Numbers only if you take it off of Historic Vehicle status. Otherwise, just a Class B, Medical Cert every 2 years and Air Brakes Endorsement for a 3 axle Historic vehicle. Food for thought.

I don't know of anyone who has but a hydraulic clutch in a deuce... Not saying that it couldn't be done though. :-D

-Tyler

slotman

Tyler, bobbed deuce thoughts

hey tyler, thanks for all the help. hope you sell the truck on ebay. probably get the truck front springs and cut down the original bed or, i was thinking about a dump bed and i saw a picture here of a chevy 2500 bed on a deuce. looked good but cant find it any more. can some one repost it on this thread? thoughts, it is lighter and for fire wood or 1/2 yard of sand for a block wall project it should be fine. here's the question, for only use 4 or 5 times a year as a dump bed could you use two 8 ton air hydrolic rams like in northern tool catalog at $ 100 each. T the air lines together and run a line from air release holes to outside frame to valve to lower. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

hole

Welcome slotman ! Like Tyler said ,we will start the spring trip discussion very soon. 100dollarman has a shop out in Lucern Valley were they did a real nice bob on one of his Deuces, I'm sure he could steer you in the right direction !

Slotman! Another So Cal member. Welcome to our corner of the Left Coast. Looking forward to meeting you at Fontana.

rivired - Welcome as well. I used to live in Issaquah, not too far from you.

Fontana (Fontucky as locals call it and the birth place of Sammy Hagar) MV Junkard is just south of the Cherry Exit on I-10. Close to I-15.
Always a great time with your MV brothers.

Hey, it is only about 10 minutes from the Ontario Airport!!!

I'm getting a new box of Bandaids for my busted knuckles. Can't wait.