• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie 5 ton traktor questions.

Hbomb

Hi,

I am looking at getting a 5ton traktor to pull some military short semi trailers I use for storage. It seems I am often paying peopleto move my big stuff so I thought I would get my own rig.

I have ridden in a deuce and it was so load and uncomfortable that I thought it would not be a great choice for travelling around in.

Soo are the 5ton any quiter and more cumfy?

I may travel up to a few hundred miles with it.

I like the idea of having a mil vehicle because of the posibility of antique plates and surplus parts and they are just as cool as it comes.

How will they do with CO mountains?

Thanks!!

mightyhammer

You get what you get for ride quality with the stiff leaf spring suspension. I reccomend upgrading the drivers seat(at least) with an air-ride unit of some sort.
Noise is up to you...You can muffle the exhaust, but to much means less power. Still loud tho because of un-insulated cab.
In my experience, military vehicles are a bit underpowered for highway service at speeds. They were designed for low speed off road capability, so power in the mountains will be lacking if you are towing anything and expecting to get there quickly. My2cents. COOP

Hbomb

Thanks for the advise. I forgot about air seats, that would help alot. I have 2 of the short semi trailers. I thought about getting a commercial rig since the price on them has plumeted. I liked the idea of the mil truck though. I will keep them on hiway mostly. Could a duece pull 6 tons? is there a duece 5th wheel?

mightyhammer

A deuce in good shape could easily tow 6000 lbs. I am not absolutely sure what the exact tow rating is, but in the military, deuces tow trailers and other deuces that are well above that.
Yes there are/were deuce tractors with 5th wheels. Kinda rare I think. Have seen a few around the site here. More of a collectors item tho, so would be pricey. Wouldn't be hard to rig a standard M35 deuce with a 5th wheel tho....COOP

oilcan

To answer your question about noise and comfort in a 5 ton vs. a deuce, no. The noise is either about the same or louder in an M818, depending on the individual truck. The older multifuel 5 tons are noisier than either one, in my experience.

And a mountain will have you crawling with a load. I think your best bet is a civie rig.

dfanders

I am looking at the same question. Our group has a 1/2 track and ww2 british armoured car to move. I need a drop deck trailer to do that. A commercial rig will do it but...
1) Costs more then M818
2) Need a CDL
3) Insurace and reg is higher.
With the M818 or such you are basically trading speed for yearly cost...they are slower on the highway , but cost less per year (in insurance and registration and need for CDL). Since we only do 5 events per year , we may go that route. Another reason for us in the possaible need to do on site recovery of the vehicles in the field.

Cheers,
David

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks