• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie Considering LTMV: Must I Buy A2?

Stratosurfer

Hi all,
Great forum, I've been a lurker for some time. I am former USN (Amphibs) and have decided to follow a friend of mine in the Houston area in getting an LTMV, he's been quite helpful yet I have one question: Should I definitely get an A2 model, or are the earlier years OK, that is were all the earlier years all put through the upgrades? How could one tell if an earlier year model did not get the upgrades, or did they all get them?
I haven't been able to find out this info, thanks.

Mark

snowtrac nome

I like the simplicity of the mechanical engine of the a-0, there some a-2 for sale in Fairbanks they have the c-7 which in my mind is the engine to have if you have to have an electronic engine. I haven't been a big fan of the a-1's with the 3126, but that is a personal preference based on my time in the sand box. We also had less than stellar longevity of the Allison 3000 over there, yet they seem pretty bullet proof here in the states where the heat isn't so intense. I have a fleet of medium duty kenworths with the Allison 3000 and c-7 engines and they make a good reliable package. At the end of the day get what you can afford but when maintenance is required the electronic engines will bite into your wallet deeper.

99nouns

I like the simplicity of the mechanical engine of the a-0, there some a-2 for sale in Fairbanks they have the c-7 which in my mind is the engine to have if you have to have an electronic engine. I haven't been a big fan of the a-1's with the 3126, but that is a personal preference based on my time in the sand box. We also had less than stellar longevity of the Allison 3000 over there, yet they seem pretty bullet proof here in the states where the heat isn't so intense. I have a fleet of medium duty kenworths with the Allison 3000 and c-7 engines and they make a good reliable package. At the end of the day get what you can afford but when maintenance is required the electronic engines will bite into your wallet deeper.
I love it when someone just tells you all the good stuff about every model and you are back to step 1.

dmetalmiki

Welcome to the site, hobby, friendships, and events to come when you have chosen and brought home your first choice new truck. The choosing, is almost as exiting (frightening) as driving it for the first time.

snowtrac nome

I love it when someone just tells you all the good stuff about every model and you are back to step 1.
I put out what info I had, every one has a priority if you want an opinion I selected the 3116 because it had field maintainability and reliability at the cost of some horse power and performance. there are some out there like the electronic engines because of the ease of turning up horse power with a laptop or adjusting a speedometer for a different gear set. for that reason I gave proes and cons so the user can decide what he wants based on what they want out of the truck. I have cat ET dealer software and can work on the 3126 and c-7, I would take a c-7 over a 3126 any day. Again its just an opinion, there are some good points about the 3126 one of them being the injectors do not require et to replace them, and a cheap prolink will do any test that cat et can.

scottmandu

Hi all,
Great forum, I've been a lurker for some time. I am former USN (Amphibs) and have decided to follow a friend of mine in the Houston area in getting an LTMV, he's been quite helpful yet I have one question: Should I definitely get an A2 model, or are the earlier years OK, that is were all the earlier years all put through the upgrades? How could one tell if an earlier year model did not get the upgrades, or did they all get them?
I haven't been able to find out this info, thanks.
Mark
The Army doesn't have the A2 variant yet, as it is still in the bidding phase and won't enter production until 2020 or thereabouts. There are the first models and then the A1's which either had a C7 or a 3126 depending on the year (I believe that the A1's were C7 in 2005 and 3126 in 1999. I am partial to the 3126 as it has the air ride on the cab (C7's were rigid mounted) and don't bring the C7 premium. The earlier ones are nice with their 3116 but the 3116 is a bit rougher and has less power than the later models.

The cat's meow would be the A1P2 but us mere mortals aren't allowed to own surplus armor.

snowtrac nome

I believe the ones I saw listed in fairbanks were listed as a-2. That said they did have c-7's, but I didn't know the c-7 models didn't have air ride cabs. That would just suck to have the rigid mount cab where I live.

scottmandu

I believe the ones I saw listed in fairbanks were listed as a-2. That said they did have c-7's, but I didn't know the c-7 models didn't have air ride cabs. That would just suck to have the rigid mount cab where I live.
A2 models don't exist, none have been made.

coachgeo

Yeah I got the A2 backward in a post earlier too. Anyway, it miggghhhhhhhhh be an A1p2 (A1 Phase Two) but not sure those are released yet either. Believe the C7 made it in the the youngest of the A1's. Older A1's have the 3126 as mentioned. Rigid cabs is new info for me too. All the ones prior to that are air ride cabs.... not sure why there would be a phase of trucks without it...... followed by ones with it again........ makes little since. So keep your ears open. mighttttttt be missinformation that there was a phase without the AirRide cabs.

scottmandu

We will never see a P2 at least with a cab be sold. Every C7 I've seen (I own 4) has a rigid rear cab support I was unaware that C7's had the air ride cab mount. The P2's use an entirely different cab support

Keith Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another advantage to the 3126 and c7 models is that you can add cruise control to it.
My favorite Mods to my 2003 LMTV are, gear change, power boost to 330hp, A/C, and the Cruise control finishes it off making for a very pleasant short and long distant driving vehicle.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks