• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie Deuce Year Question

DeuceNewbie

I just won my first deuce and am trying to determine the year of the truck. I know this has probably been answered plenty of times but i cant find exactly what im looking for. Is it possible to determine the year or get close to it with just the NSN info and contract date? the contract date on my truck shows 1985..is this when the truck was actually purchased by the govt? would that mean that it should have rolled off the production line in the 80's?..im at a stand still trying to get insurance in case i decide to drive it home instead of trailering it!

any info would be a great help!!!
Thanks!!

Carl_in_NH

Can't help with the year - but '85 seems too new to be anything but an A3. Others know far more than I.

Perhaps I can help with the insurance. I just went through this, and found the folks at State Farm to be the most helpful and reasonable cost for a 'driver' (not a collector). They made it painless, and the other places I dealt with did not - they cost me time and aggravation on the phone, and Geico wouldn't help even with a comm policy and after being a customer for 12 years. I moved everything to State Farm, and got a better price on better insurance.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can't help with the year - but '85 seems too new to be anything but an A3. Others know far more than I.
They made the M35A2 up untill '88. Most of the A3s are in the '90s.

The only sure way to tell the year is by the VIN on the frame.

Last edited:

jeep-Jeep

The date you are looking at is probably when they did the rust proofing !
look at the serial # and it most likely is the last two digits .
most of the fort sam houston trucks have been 1971 am generals .
is it in san antonio ?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
look at the serial # and it most likely is the last two digits .
Not really. On trucks built between '68 and '72 the year is the last two numbers of the registration number. If his truck is in fact a 1985 "85" will be the first two numbers of the registration number.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Post all the numbers and we'll get you close if not right on! Without the numbers we got nothing.

1qwkgoat

Not to HiJack the thread from the O.P.

I'm in the same situation, trying to sort insurance while I wait on the EUC. How would a person get the Vin # from GL? Whether it's accurate or not I need something to give the insurance agency

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not to HiJack the thread from the O.P.

I'm in the same situation, trying to sort insurance while I wait on the EUC. How would a person get the Vin # from GL? Whether it's accurate or not I need something to give the insurance agency
About the only sure fire way to get it would be to go to the truck and read the frame. Or get somebody that's close to the lot to do it for you.

1qwkgoat

About the only sure fire way to get it would be to go to the truck and read the frame. Or get somebody that's close to the lot to do it for you.

It's to far from me 560 miles. I asked in the preview/inspection section weeks ago no help there.

the NSN# isn't the vin correct?

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Holy smokes.

Gents all this has been covered before. NSN is national stock number. It only says it is what it is. If you bought an M35A2 the NSN is 2320-00-077-1616. If it has a winch the last four digits are 1617. NSN has nothing to do with the year.

You have to have the serial number (that equates to VIN). If you can get the registration number, that sometimes provides a quick clue but only with certain years AND only if the registration number is correct. Keep in mind the registration number is painted on so anyone can change that. The SN is stamped in the frame during manufacture and is normally under the drivers side front wheel well on the frame. If the truck is an old A1 that was converted to A2 in the rebuild process, the SN is on the passenger side front wheel well on the frame.

DTID is the Defense Turn In Document that tracks the item through the system from the unit to DRMO to GL. This doesn't do any good either.

If you can't get the SN, you're basically screwed until you do. Once you do, post it to the VIN Info page and we'll see what we can find.

1qwkgoat

This is the only number on the GL page besides the NSN and DTID number. I wanted to check and make sure this is the SN before I post it to the VIN info page.

0539-13025

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is the only number on the GL page besides the NSN and DTID number. I wanted to check and make sure this is the SN before I post it to the VIN info page.

0539-13025
That is a SN. I wouldn't trust GL for it to be the correct one though.

1qwkgoat

Yeah I have no way to be 100% on the number until I actually get the truck. For now what GL posted in the auction is all I have to go off of.

For what it's worth the NSN number listed on the auction is -1616. The truck is a winch truck, maybe the winch was added, maybe GL numbers are wrong.

DeuceNewbie

just a heads up i just got insurance through allstate and they let me go ahead with the policy without serial and vin numbers. given the fact that i have to provide it asap after i get the truck in my posession, its still nice to know i have it insured to get the temp plates to get her home if i decide to drive

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks