• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie experience in Kansas City

emt_n_kc

I just want to say thanks to all the info here and share my experience as a new Deuce owner :-D

I was looking at getting a deuce after seeing them for sale in Missouri and my fiancee bought me one from a private seller. We live in the city but will be storing/using the truck for now on about 40 acres of my fiancee's family's land. We took the truck today to get inspected at the Kansas Highway Patrol after getting it insured. The drive through traffic was a little tough but not bad. The heater in the truck is off but somehow still blows a little hot air, so I drove with the window down the whole way. The truck averaged around 55-60mph on the highway.

The truck attracts quite a bit of attention, mostly good though. Stopping for diesel on the way off I-70 a former Deuce driver came up very interested and loved seeing inside the cab. The highway patrol inspector liked the truck, as well as the lady at the DMV.

After getting the inspection, I parked it at our apartment in the city temporarily to take our little car and go get the Deuce's plates at the DMV. We have a spot in the back of the building where a lot of neighbors park their RV's. Its out of sight and there's lots of room. Not even before the engine was shut off, an older lady sent her husband out to ask it to be moved. I said sure, we can move it, but she came out and said she had called the landlord to have it towed. I talked to her and reassured her it was not staying, but she did not like the truck at all. Her husband came out again apologetically as I was moving it and said he didn't mind and it could stay the afternoon. I ended up taking it out to a place I can park it out of the city for now, so as not to make any more waves with the neighbors. It seemed his wife had him pretty whipped. :roll:

As I was driving out another neighbor drove up and said he really liked it and used to drive one in the service. He was upset I had to move it because he wanted to look at it. He was actually pretty ticked off at the other neighbors, but that's how apartments can be. Some neighbor's get upset when we change the oil on our compact cars, so the Deuce is probably a little much for pansys like this. For any of you other Kansas City guys this is in Johnson County so maybe that explains some of it lol. At stoplights people would look and smile at the truck.

We'll be taking the truck down to a proper home this weekend. It seems to drive pretty well so hopefully it will be a good trip. I'm sure some of you guys have had similar experiences with people seeing your Deuce in a big city :-D

roscoe

There is always "that neighor" that complains about everything. Thats why I live in the country. Still have "that neighbor" though:|-- I just don't have to listen.:-D

chvss65

Welcome aboard
Ya have to turn off the heater valves where the hoses connect to the motor, mine look like radiator petcocks
that will shut the coolant from flowing into the heater core and stop the residual heat
enjoy !!!!!!!!!!

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Hey a bunch of us from the heartland will be down at the Liberty Memorial From noon Sat till Monday mid day.
If you can hold off taking it to the farm or bring it back for the weekend.You are more than welcome to hang out and camp if you want.
May 23 & 25,
Vintage Military Vehicle Display
National World War I Museum at Liberty Memorial – Southeast Lawn
The Military Vehicle Preservation Association displays vintage military vehicles on the southeast lawn and their members are available to answer your questions about their collection. Displays will include Jeeps, tanks and other vehicles from World War II, Korea and Vietnam.
National World War I Museum - Event Calendar

Last edited:

toddm

I guess I'm lucky even the 89 year old woman across the street was wondering if I had gotten rid of the truck, as she did not see it all winter. I told her it was in storage all winter. She was relieved as it seems she loves to see it sitting in my driveway. This weekend there is a free car and truck show in Pewaukee and I'll have the Duece there. I was in a parade a few years ago and the local guard unit had a new truck I think it was a Stewart Stevensen or something like that. The soldier thought it was cool that I actually owned a Duece. Mine was definately louder! I used to see a lot of Dueces at the local Guard unit, but not for quite a few years. Quite a few hummers, 5 ton cargos, tractors and a unit with 4wd with a front bucket and a folding back hoe. Seems like someone is always there working on equipment. Every once in a while I see a convoy of trucks going down the road. Thanks Todd

jodka

Hi. I live in Johnson County, Kansas also, in Overland Park not far from the College Blvd/Quivira Rd. intersection.

Just thought I would mention that in case you are inviting people over to look at the deuce...;-).

Congratulations!

- Allen

emt_n_kc

Thanks for the tip on the heater, that residual heat had me sweating pretty good lol. I would love to attend Liberty Memorial, but we're supposed to be camping that weekend with family. Thank you for the invitation, I will have the deuce back in KC again though for sure.

Some day I am going to move out of the city to a place with fewer neighbors. I work in KCMO and I get my fill of urbaness lol. Is the Liberty event pretty big? My job might send a standby truck there, although ambulances aren't quite as cool as a Deuce ;-)

And here are the necessary pics. That's a 5 ton its parked next to. The second pic is my skinny butt checking fluids over.

Attachments

emt_n_kc

Hey Allen, I'm at Antioch and 103rd. Sorry I moved the truck back to Odessa where I bought it, along I-70 at the 40 mile marker, due to the lady freaking out. Funny enough the landlord called me and said I could park the truck here if I wanted, after all I pay the rent on time every month :twisted:
The guy who sold it said I could park it out there until I get it down to the farm this weekend. If you have time there are around 6 other Deuces out there to look at in different configurations. Some have winches with soft tops but no heaters. There are 2 trailers out there as well. The same guy has 2 more Deuces and a 5 ton in Bates City for sale as well.
I saw a guy driving a Deuce down Antioch road last month, his was fully restored and looked really nice. It was pretty funny to see it driving in Overland Park. It turned a lot of heads including mine.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Is the Liberty event pretty big? My job might send a standby truck there, although ambulances aren't quite as cool as a Deuce ;-)

This year should be the biggest yet. We have a couple of fully restored duces that will be there this year, one from OP another from De Soto. I am going to take My M135 if I can get some new skins on it by then. Dave from KC Ks is going to unveil his crewcab 5ton also. Ps I do the same job as you over at JOCO.
Dave C

emt_n_kc

I really wish I could be there at Liberty Memorial. Yeah the truck I saw driving here was very nice, with a gun mounted on top (dummy gun I guess). That must be the same one going to the event. Yes our new Mastulances, as my partner jokingly calls them, are nice, but the Deuce is way cooler.

We have to go down to the farm in Missouri this weekend, and bringing the Deuce then is easier. I'm sure many of you heard about the tragic shooting at the stress clinic in Baghdad. My fiancee's nephew Spc Jacob Barton was one of those killed and we will be going to meet her other family members. Their farm is not far from Ft Leonard Wood, where he was based out of. A lot of her family members are or were in the military and are pretty excited about the Deuce. I don't have any military experience but everyone I know who does thinks the Deuce is pretty neat, including a friend stationed over in Afghanistan right now.

The event at Liberty Memorial sounds like a very nice tribute to those who served and are serving in the military. I think its easy for a lot of people to forget about the hard work and contributions men and women of the military have made and are making every day unless they see something that reminds them. If you know of any other events going on in the metro I will try and plan ahead to bring the Deuce. :smile:

Last edited: