• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie Fixing a M101A3 Need Help

zakattackman

I just picked up a M101A2 and plan on fixing it up to be a Camping/Utility trailer.

My trailer never came with a surge brake resivor cap and I was wondering where can I get one as well as the pin used to lock out the use of the brakes for backing up?

Im sure there will be many more questions down the road; thank you for having such a good forum to answer my quesions

.:lost:

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The surge brake is a common brake, so parts can be found at any good trailer supply place or E-Bay. Use the TM's, they have alot of good information in them. Tractor Supply has the correct pin also.

islandguydon

Any equipment rental or trailer shop should have the part. Measure the cap, fine or coarse thread, then find one off something else. Good luck, WELCOME...btw

zakattackman

Well no luck so far I've been to 4 different stores around town with no luck for the resivor cap. Does anyone have any links to one available online?

I was able to get my plates today at DMV so that was a + :)

zakattackman

Take the surge brake off, so your rig will be lighter. If your using it for a camper. no real need for it.
Probablly going to go that route I'm pulling it with a Silverado 1500 and dont see myself needing them. Is it safe to pull it with the lockout pin in place?

If I remove the surge brake system is there a way to put the pintle hook back on?

KsM715

Need to find an a1 lunette. But as stated in other threads, if you dont need the brakes, just lock them out. By the time you do all the work to buy/swap parts your only losing 30-40lbs maybe. Not worth the effort to me.

IIRC someone said something about an early cj master cylinder is the same as the M101 cap.

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe it was a @ 65 cj5 jeep master cylinder. I would rather have the brakes working than no brakes. For a full size truck towing that extra 30 pounds is squat.

fredster67a

Question Regarding the M101A2 Trailer Brake Shoes

Does anyone know where to find them ( NAPA, etc.))- need to replace the primary shoes as they are fairly worn - they look like they are GM or someting similar - thanks in advance

Fredster67a

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks