• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie from Cape Cod and new M923 owner

Cape Coastie

CWO4 ENG/MSS, USCG, RET.
So I have been around this sight for awhile and owned a 1951 M37 about 20 years ago. I purchased a M105a2 back in Feb. I figured I needed something better to tow it with than my F150. Started looking and cruising all the auction sites. Found a 1984 M923 locally that didn't have an engine in it and was due to be parted out. Talked with owner and made a deal to buy the truck with an engine to come from a running M936 of the same vintage. Truck is in great condition. This Friday starts the big engine swap. Will try to keep updates of progress with photos but hope to complete the swap this weekend with some long days. Have learned a lot from this site so far and hope to continue. My first look at the truck looked like this.

Attachments

elkhtr

You're in great shape, half the work has already been done. I replaced the engine in my 923 a couple of months ago, not as bad as I thought. It went in much faster than it came out. The technical manual is your friend, it saves a lot of backtracking.

datadawg

Welcome from another PA member. I usually make it to the Cape every summer to visit my folks in Hyannis. Good luck with the project. You have super singles on your truck, which is, I think an upgrade from 1984 era trucks. I believe there is a member on this site who lives in Wilmington Mass (?) and from the grape vine, he's very handy. His name is Martin Cox and AFAIK, he has a 5 ton. He might have info on local parts, etc. -- may be worth looking him up on this forum.

acesneights1

You are in excellent hands then. I almost bought that truck myself but another friend had one that was running and time to do the swap just wasn't on my side.

It will be a nice truck when done.

Cape Coastie

CWO4 ENG/MSS, USCG, RET.
Engine swap complete

So, I bought a 1984 M923 without an engine with the deal of getting a running engine out of a M936. Swap began last Saturday morning and went for 24 hours between sat. and sun. Monday was another 12 hours. Finished up between Tuesday and Thursday with another 6 hours. Had three talented mechanics and even my wife helping to paint and do checks. We swapped front hubs between both trucks due to a set of spacers needed from the M923 to the M936. While the engine was out put in a block heater and added the dual fuel line mod. Registered on Friday and have been testing over the weekend. Runs great and everything works with only a few minor glitches.

Attachments

sed6

Wow! Way to knock it out! Having Soldiers B, C, D & E to help must have been awesome. Your pic #3/10 with both up on jackstands, pic of the month!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks