• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie from Colorado

KDavidFF369

Hello,
New here to the forum and to some extent new working on MV's. My main reason for being here is to learn more about restoring, find OEM and after-market parts for the 915 series of trucks, specifically the 916/920. When I was a reserve, my unit had 920's pulling water tankers to supply our engines with. I plan on starting my own business were the use of MVs would give me an edge due to their durability and off-road capability.

A little about me, I am prior military (all reserve time with a trip to Iraq), former volunteer firefighter (and military firefighter) and now I am looking to start my own business. I have a wife and kids, love to be outdoors and get my hands dirty. If there's anything you want to know, just ask.

Keith
"Let Justice Be Done, Though Heaven Should Fall" - Camp Sather, BIAP, Iraq
"This We Do...So That Others May Live"
"Glaine ár gcroí, Neart ár ngéag, Agus beart de réir ár mbriathar" - Irish Army Ranger Wing

Danl

Danl M915A1

hello and thanks for your service, you will find most of the sight is pryer service, And I find these guys real helpfull and way out smart. I think they all came from the motor pool . with that big truck you will want to check out the 5 ton Thread they are real good with them big ones

KDavidFF369

In Iraq my unit was attached the hq company of the division's aviation brigade, I still remember the look on the mechanic's face in the motorpool the first time we pulled up in the 920 with a 6000 gallon water distributor trailer on the back. Priceless is all I can say, he got his Sgt who politely told us that while they had mechanics that could work on that big of a truck none of them ever have worked on a 920. He basically told us the tool cabinet was open to us to do our own thing. Very rarely did they help us other then deal with engine issues and order parts. I learned more about that ****ed truck, aftermarket equipment installation and basic vehicle repair then I thought I ever would. I will def have to check out the 5 ton section though.

I should mention that the priceless look, became even more priceless when they found out they had to help support and maintain actual fire engines, and that all of our trucks were to be considered priority if they or their pumps ever became OOS. Aviation does love crash, fire, rescue types.

Blueduce

Welcome to the site and to the MV community. I'm in Dallas now but soon to be a Coloradan myself. My wife and I are moving to the Castle Rock area in a month or so. I would suggest getting in touch with the MVCC (Military Vehicle Collectors of Colorado) They are a very active group of MV enthusiast in the Denver area. I'm not familiar enough to know if there is another group in the Ft. Collins / Greeley / Loveland area but I can guaranty you these fellas will.

steelandcanvas

I'm not familiar enough to know if there is another group in the Ft. Collins / Greeley / Loveland area but I can guaranty you these fellas will.
As far as I know, we are the only MV Collectors Club along the Front Range. I think Wallew down in Dallas recommended you to our Club, if I'm not mistaken.

BikerBi11

Welcome home brother! I am heading down your way in the morning. Got a job outside of Ft. Collins. The people on here are amazing. A real good group.
:grd:

Blueduce

As far as I know, we are the only MV Collectors Club along the Front Range. I think Wallew down in Dallas recommended you to our Club, if I'm not mistaken.
He did indeed. He and his wife Peggy are good people. I have been to several events with him including the Mesquite, TX air show in April and the DACA Gun and knife show last month. Wallew has had nothing but great things to say about the MVCC club so I am excited to move to Colorado and become an active member.

steelandcanvas

He did indeed. He and his wife Peggy are good people. I have been to several events with him including the Mesquite, TX air show in April and the DACA Gun and knife show last month. Wallew has had nothing but great things to say about the MVCC club so I am excited to move to Colorado and become an active member.
Peg and Jim are two of the most generous folks I know. Peg loves to cook for everyone, and Jim will give you the shirt off his back. We miss them, and wish them well in starting their new MV Club in Texas. There is a link in my sig line to our website. You can go there and download an application for membership. You might get a little razzin' from the Members about the chosen color of your Deuce, but they'll get over it. We teased a Member who had a bobber for awhile, but it was all in good fun. I am proud to say we have a GREAT CLUB!

islandguydon

Welcome, Your in good company around here. Since your in Colorado look up unclemikey he is a good troop and can steer you in the right direction.:driver:

Blueduce

Peg and Jim are two of the most generous folks I know. Peg loves to cook for everyone, and Jim will give you the shirt off his back. We miss them, and wish them well in starting their new MV Club in Texas. There is a link in my sig line to our website. You can go there and download an application for membership. You might get a little razzin' from the Members about the chosen color of your Deuce, but they'll get over it. We teased a Member who had a bobber for awhile, but it was all in good fun. I am proud to say we have a GREAT CLUB!
Jim has told me all about the air shows and the parades up there. I've also heard about all the cool new toys the club has. I can't wait. I am a member of Jim's club down here. It's been a little slow goin' but you know Jim, He won't give up on it. As far as the razzin' goes, I think I'll be okay. I've included an after pick for your viewing pleasure. She took 3rd place at the DACA Gun and Knife show last weekend. Not bad for an old Tanker eh'.

Attachments

steelandcanvas

We do have a very active Club, with numerous and different pieces of equipment. There are several Club restoral projects going on all the time for Club members to become involved in. For instance, we are about finished restoring a Gama Goat Ambulance (M792). An ongoing project is our M29 Weasel, which was a private donation to the Club, they just wanted a good home for it. This Summer we are going to start restoring a M886 Dodge Ambulance, I am trying to get the parts together for it now. The AirShow is our largest get-together, usually displaying just over 50 vehicles. Be sure and contact me when you get up this way, and I'll drag you to meeting where you can meet the rest of the "OD Wizards". So your Deuce isn't BLUE anymore? Dang, we needed an Air Force Deuce.