• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie from Houston

frioman

Hello everyone, I'm going to pick up my first M923 located in Georgia next week -- l.o.n.g. drive. I plan on taking oil, water, tools, etc. Any other advice? I pray I get it home without any breakdowns. I've downloaded the manuals and will try to determine what type of transmission fluid and the fluid for the transaxles and transfer case. Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide.

ARYankee

Well.... Welcome to the site!!! Here is what I would recommend.
1. Establish the route that you will take back and try to find some members along the route to assist in case of any issues.
2. Read the tech manuals. The Lube Order will tell you what fluids and how much as well.
3. Search on the forum for the recovery list because there are several threads on here with them.
4. Once again, search the forums for fluid info as well. Search is your best friend here. There is a ton of info on here and a great group of folks willing to help.
5. If you have insurance questions....... again search the forums. The only reason I beat this search thing to death is to save you from starting a thread with these questions and taking a verbal lashing. There have been tons of threads started on just those topics alone.

Anyways, good luck with the recovery.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome!

Do you know what condition it's in? Did you get it from GL or a private person? Can someone check it out before you get there?

GHall

Welcome from SanAntone and good luck! I would suggest reading the recovery threads as previously stated. It's good info from some smart experienced fellas. Also use google "recovery list steelsoldiers" to help search or the search this forum tool.

frioman

I'm getting it from GL. Unfortunately I won't be able to have anyone check it out beforehand. I REALLY appreciate the respectful replies with no trash or filth language. Y'all are great and I'm glad to be welcomed into such a fine group of enthusiasts.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Where in Ga is it coming from?

TNJMurray

We've got a part for that
Make sure you craw all over it before you get on the road, check and see that people haven't started to remove items and left thing loose. Good luck on your trip!! We can next day you parts to you if you have any issues along the way. Thanks john murray tnjmurray.com murco@tnjmurray.com

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Recent issues off the top of my head that I've had with recovery of these trucks in the last 3 months:
1. ABS light stays on - means 45 max safe speed until repaired
2. Rear brakes locked - if they rolled freely in the GL video, you're probably OK
3. Missing parts - throttle linkage nut, turn signal switch
4. Dead batteries
5. Fan clutch not working - starts overheating when idling
6. Tires flat
7. With no cover, the center stave of the rear bow fell out onto the road after about 20 miles
8. Bobble head axle vents plugged, pushing differential gear oil past the axle seals and slinging oil everywhere
9. All the nuts on one rear axle end cap were loose and gear oil flowed like water
10. Soft top seam came apart during a rainy day - gorrilla tape worked well
11. Gauges like transmission temperature, fuel, oil pressure and speedometer did not work or did work but were inaccurate
12. Bad ground cable for the batteries - wouldn't allow a jump start

I hope you have better luck, but plan for the worst. Most people have recoveries that go well, but there are some disaster recovery storys where Murphy joins the ride. Take a LOT of cash in case you need a tow off the highway - many tow companies will only tow if you have cash to pay.

Last edited:

frioman

I picked up the truck and was pleasantly surprised. I checked out all the fluids and air pressures. The fuel gauge is broke -- always reads full. It cranked up on 2nd attempt. I drove it from Augusta, GA to Hattiesburg, MS and that's where it's at for the moment. It was about a 12 hour drive. I'll be going back to Hattiesburg and bringing it to Houston in a few weeks.

I had to quickly learn my road position, but fortunately I have experience driving fire trucks so the learning curve wasn't too difficult. The hardest part of the trip was the road construction (narrow lanes) and two l-o-n-g downhill runs at 60 mph. I knew all was fine as long as no one stopped suddenly. I pray I can get it to Houston without any breakdowns. The truck seems solid; therefore, I'm optimistic. Either way, I'm carrying a lot of tools with me.

Thanks to all of you for the help, and good tips Trail Boss. I'll be looking for the behind the cab seats, bows, and a top soon. I've located the two long side rail seats.

PETE BALLARD

best advise is plan for the worst, plan your route, do an intense pre-trip inspection, bring the required tools + tms, credit card,cell phone,extra fuel filters, see if you can locate some steel soldier safe havens along your route. do you know what type of brakes does your truck have? wedge type are more problematic that the s cam style. oh yeah - bring a big hammer - if the brake shoes won't release hit the brake drum - not the brake shoes. and most important - take your time + you'll have a great adventure hopefully without incident!

Hope your recovery goes well!!

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad you made it halfway :-D. If you plan the second half the weekend of April 19-21, you can stop by the LA Rally which is on your way.