• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie from Maine about to buy my First CUCV M1009/ could use help

SgtHaas

Hello I hear this is the site to be so here I am. Well I recently had looked at a CUCV M1009 to purchase and it's in great shape underneath and in and out.

Before I do make the commitment to buy. What should I look for?
-Mechanical?
-Electrical?
-Structural?
-anything else?
I am pretty mechanically inclined. So most won't be an issue.
There's very little rust... anywhere.
He's asking $5000. It. Runs and sounds great. Screenshot_2015-06-22-15-57-50.jpg

Thanks everyone,
Sgt Haas, Semper Fi.Screenshot_2015-06-22-15-57-32.jpg

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site. And thank you for your service.

One of the main issues to look for with the CUCV series is hacked up wiring. Many have come from the VFDs across the nation and many, many times the wiring is a total mess.

We can help you troubleshoot a stock system, but a hack job you will usually be on your own.

The one you are looking at sound like it will be a good start. Plan on another $1000 for tires and odds and ends to make it road worthy for you.

Read the Helpful Threads sticky and download the free technical manuals.

KansasBobcat

Sounds like a fair deal if most everything works. I paid a little more but it had new tires, paint, brakes, and dash. Rust is a big issue so check rockers, tail gate, bottom of doors,etc. Plan on spending some money as these are 30 +year old trucks . Goodluck and welcome.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sgt Haas: Thank you for your service, sir. Welcome to Steel Soldiers!! :mrgreen: I've owned my M1009 for 9 years now, and have done a fair amount of work on it over the years. It is my daily driver. $5500 is a higher end price, so it better be in really good shape. I highly recommend you follow all of these tips before you buy the truck.
- Read the CUCV threads. Read the CUCV Stickies. Familiarize yourself with the 24/12 volt split electrical system. Follow Warthog's advice. He knows these trucks far better than I do.
- Check the condition of the following systems:
- cooling: Is the radiator in good shape? If not, a replacement will cost several hundred dollars.
- fuel system: What shape are the metal fuel lines? Is the injection pump seeping fluid? Rebuilt IP's are expensive, and rebuilding them yourself is no fun.
- transmission: Check the color and smell of the fluid. If it smells burnt, you may have problems. If it hard shifts or has problems shifting into second and third, fear not. The fix will more than likely be $10 in vacuum lines. If vacuum line replacement doesn't fix the hard shifting, replace the vacuum modulator on the other side of the IP. Not easy, but doable with the right tools.
- If it's electrical, clean it. If it's rubber, replace it.

SgtHaas

Sgt Haas: Thank you for your service, sir. Welcome to Steel Soldiers!! :mrgreen: I've owned my M1009 for 9 years now, and have done a fair amount of work on it over the years. It is my daily driver. $5500 is a higher end price, so it better be in really good shape. I highly recommend you follow all of these tips before you buy the truck.
- Read the CUCV threads. Read the CUCV Stickies. Familiarize yourself with the 24/12 volt split electrical system. Follow Warthog's advice. He knows these trucks far better than I do.
- Check the condition of the following systems:
- cooling: Is the radiator in good shape? If not, a replacement will cost several hundred dollars.
- fuel system: What shape are the metal fuel lines? Is the injection pump seeping fluid? Rebuilt IP's are expensive, and rebuilding them yourself is no fun.
- transmission: Check the color and smell of the fluid. If it smells burnt, you may have problems. If it hard shifts or has problems shifting into second and third, fear not. The fix will more than likely be $10 in vacuum lines. If vacuum line replacement doesn't fix the hard shifting, replace the vacuum modulator on the other side of the IP. Not easy, but doable with the right tools.
- If it's electrical, clean it. If it's rubber, replace it.
Thank you for the information. I will be looking at all of that on Friday. Very helpful Thank you!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks