• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie from the Twin Cities! Soon to take a treck from FL to MN. Wish me luck!

Flanjan

Hello all!
I decided to join SS after looking at the website multiple times and finally taking the plunge into the world of deuce ownership.

I currently have a 1977 M855 that was a small municipalities fire truck until recently. It's a bit of a turd but hauls the dirt bike no problem.

I actually just won an auction on a deuce (1987 AM General M35A2C) down in FL. It sounds like it was in recent use and just needs some batteries. I was told itll jump start and run but doesn't hold much of a charge.

Im still trying to learn the forum and am currently looking for a couple things.
1.) VIN look ups, or at least a break down of what vins mean and what motor itll have so I can buy parts.
2.) If there's a civilian cross reference list for stuff like filters and all that. Most places online looked to be charging an arm and a leg for "deuce specific" filters with out listing P/N's.
3.) If it's realistic to ship something like a deuce this far. Is it going to cost $4k or are there places that do it for budgeter friendly rates?

4.) Any advice you folks have for getting a deuce home!

Thanks for any help in advance!

18operator

Welcome from Northern Ohio! If you go to the search function on this site, you will find all kind of cross references. It helped me greatly!

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome from Kentucky. All the info you seek exists on the website. Take your time and read up. As for your engine, the engine will have it's own data plate with all the info needed. The cross reference list are listed here also. As for shipping,
if the truck truly only needs batteries, it can be driven home. That will be long, slow and probably cold, but can be done.
It the truck has been sitting, it will need a good service/check up before hitting the highway. That can take a couple day if
the laundry list grows; belts, fluids, brakes, tires, are the most commen service issue that need to be addressed. Or your credit care will take care of it in the middle of nowhere. I have shipped several trucks and bite the bullet, piece of mind, and lack of time was worth it.
Keep us posted.

Gralmk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi, Welcome from MA! Good luck on your trip. As stated everything is in search and the Deuce forums. Also check the members map and see if anyone is around you or along the way if you try and drive, it would be a fun trip for sure! Shipping is easy, look up vehicle hauling company's on line, they will have free estimate lines where you fill in know data and you'll get your guestament! The TM section will be your best friend, download everything on a Deuce from there. Not sure if you were in the military and ever drove one, but the 10(operators manual is YOUR BEST FRIEND!

AZK9

You've joined a informative forum and an awesome bunch of helpful folks!

Welcome from Arizona! [thumbzup]

dmetalmiki

Welcome to the site and the hobby. That is a very long journey to undertake, especially if you have neither experience in the driving, or the mainenance of an ex military truck like a deuce. Give serious thought to having it transported.
Meantime read up you can, and try to contact other members near to you who might give you a walk around and pointers. Keep us posted on your progress.

m715

Nice score that might be a ex air force truck with the split break system. You can search this forum for more info on vin info. Good luck with your new toy.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks