• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie here wanting to buy a Deuce . Have questions

DuecesWild

Hey guys Im new here and have always wanted an M35A2 "Whistler" and now since I can afford one I want one. I have never been in or driven a Duece so here are some questions. I live in Maryland and correct me if im wrong but im pretty sure I dont need a CDL or any special license to drive one, just a regular license will work right. I found a couple for $3,000, is that to high cause thats the cheapest Ive found that is somewhat close to me. Im looking for one that runs and that I can just drive and have fun. How expensive is maintence on one of these? Id be driving it to car shows, around town, and sometimes to work just to show off. So what kind of plates should I get, Historic. What else should I know about these. Im gonna go and cruise the sight for more info and Im sure ill find it. Thanks.

poppop

No CDL needed. You should not have any problems tagging it unless someone in DMV wants to be difficult which can happen. Be real carefull how you answer thier questions. When I tagged my M151 jeep she asked color and I replied olive drab, her jaw dropped and she said "what", to which I replied "green". She was happy with that answer and I got my tag. $3000.00 is a good price for a duece that someone has bought and checked out for you and done all the paper-work. You can get them much cheaper from GL but then you have to inspect or buy site unseen and gamble on whether it runs or what is wrong with it. Parts are readily available and will not cost you an arm and a leg. They are easy to work on if you are good with tools. They are tough trucks and when in good shape will not break down often.

DuecesWild

Yeh I was reading how to get some more power out of the multifuel by turning up the pump and that some guys recommend just leaving it alone but I like black smoke so I might just turn it a tad. Do these come straight piped? My 38 Dodge is just a truck cab and a frame. Im gonna put a 4cyl cummins in it backed by a TH400. I was gonna put a NV4500 5-speed behind but it wouldve cost alot for everything. Its gonna be a rat rod kinda. Im gonna paint it up like an army truck. So its gonna be rat rod army truck. Havnt really started on it yet, trying to get my chevelle squared away. Ill read up some more tom. Heres a link to the one im lookin at on ebay but im not set on that one, my eyes are still open. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1970...ryZ80765QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
I want a Whistler, dual rear wheels, troop carrier, non winch truck. And decent shape of course.

rideni

I just bought one with heat, hard top, and no winch from Cevon for $2500.
I put a deposit on it on monday and will pick it up tomorrow.
It ran great on the test drive hope it does fine coming home

I have AAA any car towing though...
they specify no limit though

LanceRobson

Your post has my head spinning. You've got about 20 minutes of conversation and rolled up in it.

I think $3K for the listing you shared is probably high. He states that he drove it for "at least an hour". So what? He had to get it home somehow. He hasn't offered any guarantee or told you what he has done to make it worth paying more than GL auction price for the truck.

He says to check his feedback. OK, check it. He doesn't have any feedback for an MV.

As you've said, keep your eyes open. Also, at this point, I advise you keep you wallet closed. Find a few MV owners near you. Link up and soak up some info.

For what that truck is listed for you could enlist the aid of a SS member or two and buy a truck with a lot of loot still in your wallet.

M44 series deuces can be up to, what?, 57 years old? I don't think there's any such thing as a deuce you can buy and drive to "show off" without an expectation of having to be prepared for putting a fair amount of work and, maybe, money into it. They are medium duty tactical 6x6 vehicles with all the strengths and weaknessess that implies. They were designed at a time when labor was cheap and manhours were plentiful.

There was never any expectaion or intent that they would be trouble free or that they would run a long time between breakdowns.

Please understand, none of this is intended to discourage you. I'd be pretty low on the list of folks who wanted to do that.

I'm glad you are looking for info BEFORE buying. Fortunately, you are in a part of the country that is close to a lot of places where deuces are coming out of GL. I'd advise going to look at a buch of them and asking, through a thread, for inspection help.

Good luck and I hope you find a good truck.

Lance

rideni

i finished the transaction on my today, and drove it home 70 miles no problems that I didn't know about before hand. Heck I may or may not have had plates for 40 miles or so

tm america

3000 would be a good price for a good running one .not sure the whistler turbo makes anymore power sounds cool though i was gonna switch mine out for one. till i put my turbo gage on and seen i'm getting over 25psi boost with the one i have just buy turning the fuel up a little whatever you end up getting make sure you go over everything check all the fuilds.check the front end out, brakes remember a heavy tow is expensive and rear ending the car in front of you ussually ends bad for them so check it dont just think its good cuz you dont see any leaks

you are better off to buy from a member or someone who has driven it or checked it out its worth the extra for the piece of mind if your not sure about them spmetimes it a big gamble on if truck runs or not or what ya gotta do to get it runnning good luck any questions drop me a pm.

zb39

I to am looking......seems to be a price diff between auction and resale.....I know it is a business and they need a profit...Are recent auction prices normal. high, low...I really don't know.....am following some now but they are not over yet.......so i won't mention them.....can we talk about them when they are over???... Like most people i am trying to decide low price auction with risk OR private party......choices all the way around..Love the board though..Lots of info..:-D

HeadWizard

Of course it's cheaper to buy at GL than from a member who's outlayed $, taken the risk of the unknown truck, transported the truck, serviced the truck, etc, etc. My time is not free, nor do I think anyone else's here is. $3k or so for a nice deuce is a steal. M1008's sell for that and they're just 24 year old Chevy pickups!

It boils down to your ability to take risk and your desire to have a deuce nowwith a title or go the GL route and wait 60 days or so for a title.

I've got 7 deuces and two M813 5 tons for sale right now in Northern VA. All have titles. All are priced based on their condition and options - beginning at $3k.

All have been serviced and are ready to go. I own a shop and am an ASE certified Master tech. Can VA Inspect if needed.