• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie Here

brock

Hello Everyone!

I am looking to buy a surplus M923A2 that doesnt run and has less than 400 miles on the ODO.

I like the low mileage but as the truck is a 1990 Im worried about deterioration of components in the engine, transmission/drivetrain and fuel system. The truck is really clean and complete.

What should I look for? How much is the truck worth? What are the possible issues that could need to be addressed when reviving the truck? Where do I get parts?

Any and all information will be welcomed. As it stated in the title, I am a newbie.

Thank you in advance for all the info.

MtnSnow

I would highly suggest finding a local SS member who is familiar with the truck your looking at and have them help look it over. The Odometer was probably reset/replaced so that may or may not reflect actual mileage of the truck and or engine/etc.

Anyways...Welcome to your future addiction to big green iron!

brock

How would I locate a SS member in my area?

Why would they reset/replace the speedometer? The truck shows 18 hours as well. Would they have replaced both at the same time?

These trucks are so cool and inexpensive to purchase. I can't wait to get my hands on one!

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome!..I suggest you skim through the Government Liquidation/DRMO/GSA subforum threads to learn that what you see with military surplus is not always what you get. There are some real good deals out there, but education will reduce the chance you will pay too much for what may be a pile of scrap metal.

MtnSnow

Why would they reset/replace the speedometer? The truck shows 18 hours as well. Would they have replaced both at the same time?
Those items are often replaced during a overhaul/update/rebuilding of the trucks.

brock

Thanks for the link, its very helpful. I just realized I have a SS member right down the road who just bought a M923A2 a few weeks ago. I will drop by and speak with him regarding the "extra costs" outlined in the link.

Keep the info coming!

brock

I would highly suggest finding a local SS member who is familiar with the truck your looking at and have them help look it over. The Odometer was probably reset/replaced so that may or may not reflect actual mileage of the truck and or engine/etc.

Anyways...Welcome to your future addiction to big green iron!
Is there a tag identifying whether or not the truck has been rebuilt? If so, where would it be?

Thanks

MtnSnow

Yes there is usually a tag placed in the vehicle by whichever rebuild location did the work. They are usually found on the dash by the other data plates or placed in the door way like the MWO triangle tags

5tonman1971

Yea these truck may seem cheap to purchase but there's a lot of other cost that build up quick. First is shipping the truck, then the next cost would be a full service which costs around 1000-1200$. Then there's fuel lines you may have to replace there's probably a very good chance the ctis is broken. There's a good chance you have to rebuild the air dryer. Then you gotta hope the tires are in good shape. Depending of fuel costs it costs 300-600$ to fill the tank. The trucks normally sell between 2500-5000$ then there's the 5000-10,000$ group that most of the time just need a full service. There's also so much more that could be wrong or need rebuilt. You never trust a MVs fuel gauge or ODO and hour meter. There's a lot of issues with transfer case ranges and front axle engagement.

I'm not trying to scare you off I'm just trying to prepare you for real life of owning a MV. After initial cost you excpect to have another 2-3k in to the truck.

Most of the trucks say they do not start but that could mean the batteries are just dead, ran out of fuel, or the engine could be blown or the trans could be blown. Unless you can preview the truck you are gambling. But no truck is a bad buy, you can always part them out and get your money back or keep it as a parts truck.

Another er good thing would be to start reading the TMs and you should probably take your CDL. These trucks aren't something you can just get in and go. There's a very high chance of a fatal accident if you are uneducated about these trucks.

brock

Talking with my neighbor who bought a M923A2 recently was very enlightening.

I now have a better understanding about the registration/insurance costs associated with these trucks. In CA, the truck can be registered and driven using a C class, "normal", license because the truck weighs less than 26,000 lbs. I must register it as a vehicle that will not be used for commercial purposes, therefore I cannot legally haul/tow anything. The registration classification is similar to a RV. I do have to pay a $700 registration fee and insurance through State Farm is $200-400 per year and depends on how much I want to be able to drive it. Next year, 1990 MV's can be registered as a Historical vehicle with registration dropping to $100 per year but there are many limitations on mileage and modifications that can be made to the truck.

I was given the opportunity to drive the truck this afternoon. I must say that the experience was exhilarating! The air brakes are something that will need to be gotten used to but I adjusted fairly quickly. In my area the roads are very narrow and packed with cars and pedestrians. Navigating the streets caused for a few tight squeezes between parked cars and oncoming traffic. Overall the truck was well received. Many thumbs-up and encouraging smiles were cast our way.

Talking with the owner of the truck I got a better sense of what the maintenance will be like. Lots of oils, fluids, and cleaning of air/electrical components are in my future. I realize there are many expenses that can crop up at a moments notice and believe I can handle most of the issues on my own.

I am eager to purchase my own and hope to be able to share in the camaraderie that is Steel Soldiers. I would only purchase a truck from my local distribution locations of Barstow and Fontana and shipping would be $500 or less.

Thank you all for the great information. Please keep it coming as I will be updating this thread with my actions as I pursue the acquisition of a truck.