• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie here!!

84k5

Alright guys newbie here with a few questions, I just recently picked up a 84 M1009 and had a few questions about it, the rig starts and sounds good, frame is perfect but I got some body work to do with the rest of it. It still has the 24 volt set-up in it and seems to be working fine, now the questions begin. I've been reading on here about the 24/12 volt set-up and am slowly picking up on it but what else is 24v on the rig like lights, wires, things like that. I just haven't had much of a opportunity to play around with everything much to learn how everything works. Also anything I need to be aware of that could be a possible problem? Im sure I'll have many more questions so thanks in advance.

CycleJay

Hello 84K5,

Welcome to Steel Soldiers.
The first thing you absolutely, positively MUST do is, what is called the "Doghead Mod"..
To prevent the starter from running away from you and frying the starter, and the fusible link/wiring harness, etc..
I speak from painful first hand experience.

Just look it up here, and get it done as soon as possible, to avoid a fire in the engine compartment, and expensive repair bills.
Just about everyone here with an M1009 has done it, and have not had the runaway problem at all, or had it happen again.
Including me.

Then take a look at your Fuel injection pump, for signs of wear and tear, so you do not get stuck on the side of the road,
when it does go out. That would be another very expensive repair bill, unless you know how to do it yourself.

After that, then take care of any issues one at a time, from the most important to the least important,
until you are done.

Other than that, just routine preventative maintenance just like any other vehicle, and you should be good to go.

If you do have any questions, do not hesitate to ask. Just about any one of us would be glad to answer questions, etc.
Including me.

Good night,

MarcusOReallyus

The starter is 24v everything else is 12v.
Well, the starter and half of the glow plug system.

After you do the doghead mod, look up "resister bypass". It's also highly recommended. Once that's done, it's just the starter circuit that is 24v.

Welcome! :beer:

Last edited:

Aerialfred

Welcome to the incurable green disease! Please listen to these most helpful posts! They know what they are talking about!! Do the " Doghead Mod " TODAY! Thank them after you do it. It will save you a lot of trouble.

84k5

Great thanks guys I saw the Doghead Mod last night but didn't get to look in to it, and im going to have a buddy of mine check the injection pump for me to see if it is gonna be a problem.

84k5

Well guys a little update on K5, Evidently no one has changed the fuel filter on it since it was still on duty. I had already added some TWC oil to the fuel and noticed a difference after a few miles of driving, but it still smoked pretty hateful trying to get it up to speed and on hills it just seemed like it was running out of fuel. So put some of diesel knowledge to work and figured I'd try the simple things first the air filter looked fairly new but I replaced it anyway and got a new fuel filter and wow talk about a difference. It runs like a champ now and barely get any smoke now and running mountains everyday going back and forth to work I'm averaging 19-20 mpg sure beats my 2013 truck that only gets 13 mpg. Now off to put on some new tires on the old girl and start working on getting the body fixed.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks