• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie! Just bought a Deuce M109A3, need some advice

velociT

I'd be most weary about parking it in a Vegas hotel lot.

You are probably going to want to disconnect the batteries and take them in the hotel room with you. Don't park in gear.

goodguyzy

2cents bring ear phones with a mp3, tucked under ear muffs, you will go stir crazy after 5 hours. take a walking break at fill ups and kiss your back good bye.

Bad_Carp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congratulations and welcome to the disease... I mean hobby :roll:

Some others with more experience I'm sure will chime in on this but I see in the original listing it says that it comes with the SF97. I thought that only the original person listed on the SF97 can title the vehicle. When I bought mine from an SS member they titled it with the SF97 and then I did a title transfer. You may have already taken care of this but I would hate for you to get it home and then have the DMV refuse to title it.
Got my M109A2 from the same place and under same circumstances, I was able to get title in my name after having the bill of sale and the signed SF97. Maybe I got lucky, but it's registered in CA and we all know how much fun the CA DMV is.

JeremyN

Thank you everyone for the great advice, encouragement and kind welcome to the "club".

bring ear plugs
Excellent suggestion. I was hoping to listen to audio books on my iPhone on the way back, but maybe it'll be too noisy. That's okay.

>Your not crazy, we have had vehicles driven all the way across country.
That's actually quite reassuring.

>As for your truck being babied, good luck with that, search for some of the other trucks on the board that were used in movies.
I did a bit of searching and haven't found any horror stories, but I'm all ears.

There is a .doc file that all newbies should read.
Read it before I even bought it.

You are gonna be addicted!
Too late I already am, and it's not my first addiction… I've been involved in many such addictions, and it's always amazing the friendly folks you find on forums like this.

My other addictions include: computers (Macintosh specifically - Ask me anything Macintosh related and I can give you a very educated reply), I'm also a Browncoat (Firefly/Serenity fan, I wrote and directed the Firefly documentary Done The Impossible), and I'm a big video production geek (I own RED ONE Camera #63), and now I'm excited to join this group.

So yeah, I'm actually much more of a computer/technology geek than auto geek. In fact I'm buying two vehicles this year, my Deuce and a Chevy Volt. Talk about opposite ends of the technology spectrum! I wanted the Volt not so much for the "environmental/green" (though that's a nice benefit), but because it's probably the most high tech production vehicle ever made.

Welcome to the site. Put pictures up of your trip AND read the TMs BEFORE you go to pick it up. The pertinent TMs are in the resources section of this site. I have all the TMs on an iPad that I take with me wherever I go.
Oh trust me, I'm going to take pictures, in fact I might even shoot some 4K RED footage of our journey if the camera isn't being used on a shoot.

I just started going through the TMs, but the names are a bit confusing to me, how do I decode which are relevant to the deuce? Great idea about putting it on your iPad, I'll have to do the same.

** Edit > I found the relevant TMs in the Deuce FAQ. **

I would definitely see if there are any SS members nearby that you could entice into giving you a 30 minute tutorial-what an experienced deuceophile
Any Utah Deuceophiles reading this? I'd love a lesson, I'm even happy to pay.

Welcome. After you get it home, cut up all you credit cards. I noticed that deuce parts kept being delivered to my house after I got mine home. Seems like there is no way to stop them!!
LOL! Turns out all of my passions are pretty expensive, and my cards are maxed, so hopefully those random parts won't be too frequent.

Congrats on your purchase. That M109A3 looks great. They look awsome in tan.
Good luck on your recovery, If I were you I would ask to get a letter from the owner and save a copy of the ebay listing about the movies its been in. Enjoy.
Excellent suggestion.

If I were doing this recovery, I would have someone drive me down and have a chase vehicle for the return trip. You can make alot of repairs if you can get to a parts store. If you can't, you will be stuck getting towed. A 600 mile trip will take about the same amount of time and cost about the same driving rather than flying. There are many places on your trip that I would not want to be stuck with a broke down Deuce.
Good luck on your recovery.
The more I thought about your suggestion, the more I agreed with it. I think we are changing our plans and going to do this very thing. Plus it'll make it MUCH easier to transport all the supplies I need for the journey. Excellent tip… thanks again!

Some others with more experience I'm sure will chime in on this but I see in the original listing it says that it comes with the SF97. I thought that only the original person listed on the SF97 can title the vehicle. When I bought mine from an SS member they titled it with the SF97 and then I did a title transfer. You may have already taken care of this but I would hate for you to get it home and then have the DMV refuse to title it.
Hrmmm... food for thought. Though I'm not really all that familiar with the SF97 and it's implications. I'll have to ask around some more.

There are quite a few of us in this area of Cali that would help if needed, PM me and I'll give you my #
Very kind offer! PM on it's way shortly.

Got my M109A2 from the same place and under same circumstances, I was able to get title in my name after having the bill of sale and the signed SF97. Maybe I got lucky, but it's registered in CA and we all know how much fun the CA DMV is.
Just for clarification, are the current/previous owners signing it (SF97) over to me? Or am I signing something?

Thanks again everyone for your helpful advice! I can't wait for my journey.

Jeremy

Last edited:

Bad_Carp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just for clarification, are the current/previous owners signing it (SF97) over to me? Or am I signing something?

Jeremy
David, (whom the SF97 is issued to) will sign it along with a bill of sale. That was enough for me to get it registered here in CA.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks