• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie Looking at my first deuce

Mattsfmj

Hey everyone new guy here looking at my first deuce have a question. Hope this isn't a dumb question please don't yell at me if it is. I got the the serial numbers off the plate on the inside of the cab here are the numbers.

Id data: 3320-077-1616
id number: 04A-72671 0525 18634
contract no. DAAE 06 70 C 0001

can someone break these down what do they mean? besides the obvious. Also anything I need to check. Thanks for any advice.

Mattsfmj

Of corse! Pictures duh! I will get some tomorrow should have thought of that. Does the numbers above give a date of manufacture like a car vin?

EWhytsell

The ID number 04A-72671 0525 18634 is actually

Registration number 04A-72671
This should also be painted on the doors and lots of them get painted with earlier paint schemes get them on the hood sides as well.

VIN Number 0525 18634
This should be around a 1970 built truck without a winch. Most people like to make sure this number is also stamped on the frame so that everything matches.

Woodsplinter

Does it run? Price? Title available? Pics of the engine?
If it runs do the brakes work, does it hold air pressure, any obvious leaks or damage, particularly underneath?
How does it shift, how does the clutch feel, does the transfer case function correctly?

Lots of things to consider which will affect the price and help you decide if its right for you. All of this stuff can be fixed for a price.

Good luck!

whiskey357

Banned
Looks ok...lots of potaional here ...green bug bite good on this one.....looks like a ground up rebuild...should be fun and lots quality time with the NAPA parts dealer...you even exchange Xmas cards with this one .....looking good my man have blast..

Mattsfmj

Ok everyone sorry it took me so long to get back to everyone.
Ok the good
1: it does have a title it's a Tennessee title I am in NC so is the truck
2: it has a cab heater. I thought that was cool
3: it runs great.
4: The interior is in excellent condition (like a green Cadillac :D)

The bad
1: no brakes
2: needs a couple of tires

other then that its not to bad the price seems good too. Can someone tell me what kind of cost the parts would be to redo the brakes (new hoses and cylinders Etc) so I can try and haggle them off the price. Also how much trouble will it be to get a nc title would it be just like getting a title to a car from Tennessee? Thanks for all the advice sorry for all my dumb newbie questions.

Ford Mechanic

Title transfer from Tennessee to NC is just like any other car title transfer, no problems

Seems like to me new wheel cylinders run 25 bucks from White Owl equipment in Kinston NC and hoses ran $15. I bought both from them 4 months ago great folks to deal with.

In my opinion parts aren't to expensive for these, it's that every thing on it is so darn heavy it makes most things time consuming. Your fixing to find out first hand now with the brakes needing to be redone.

Woodsplinter

Tires can usually be found for about $150 ea. Can you see any signs of leakage on the back side of the wheels? Might tell you if you have a leaking wheel cylinder and where.

You can check the fluid level in the master cylinder by looking through the floor panel in front of the drivers seat. Any sign of leaking from the master cylinder or air pack? They are located by the frame under the drivers seat. It not, either they're not leaking or are out of fluid. Not uncommon if its been sitting a long time.

New master cylinder- $95, rebuild kit about $25-30.
New air pack- $480, rebuild kit $80.
New wheel cylinder- $28.50, rebuild kit $5.75

Prices from www.eriksmilitarysurplus.com just for illustration. They are available from other online vendors and eBay.
Check around as prices will vary.

Hope this helps!

DeucesWild11

Contract No. the middle number is 70 which means the contract to build that truck was issued in 1970 so if you don't know the year then the oldest it could be is 1970.. As a newbie just keep reading on this site. I was one about 3 years ago and now I am not afraid of taking anything apart on the deuce! Hope you get her.

SteveKuhn

Dot5 brake fluid: $50/gal & up if you can get it from a member or at a show. If NAPA or the other parts store, lots more. Don't even think of adding Dot3 unless you go through a (bad idea) flushing procedure.

Makins for a power bleeder: $25 - $30 from Lowes (pump bug/weed sprayer).
See http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?3229-Deuce-Power-Bleeder-R4x4-Style

How's the compressor working? Did you bleed the water from the air tanks under pressure to see if they blow rust?

Do at least all the checks on this and preferably the stuff from the -10 manual for the Deuce in the TM section of SS. A methodical check could help you identify other repair expense.

Nice truck to start with. Best of luck with it.

Steve

Attachments

Mattsfmj

Hey thanks everyone for the great info I am getting pretty excited about it. I am a Heavy equipment/ otr truck mechanic for a living. I got a field service truck with a 10,000 lbs crane air compressor welder and so forth so the "heavy" part of the truck does not scare me. I really appreciate the help I will let everyone know what happens. One last question how much are y'all weight are you putting on your registration my freightliner is 26,000 I want the deuce to be registered light enough so it doesn't Require cdl to drive.

Lindsaym151

DSC03041.jpgIn Fl we can register it as an antique! Military Vehicle needs no VISIBLE plate (but must be ready for inspection upon request)
I reged mine as 10 k75.00 for life! 120.00 a year for ins! and running my own fuel blend! total cost per year 200.00
ILOVE MY DEUCE!!!

SteveKuhn

Check your NC state laws for registration information. Historic is great but in some states it limits usage. If you need to put down a weight, make sure it squares with your weight and dimension data plates.

Steve

Dipstick

Matt, I echo Splinters suggestions and add: Check the tires for dry rot. Check the visual conditions of the batteries and cables. Take a hard look under the truck at the transmission and transfer case oil seals where the drive shafts enter and exit the transmission and transfer case. I'm replacing my seals and u-joints right now due to massive gear oil leaks. The parts don't cost much, but if you're really serious about owning a Deuce you should be a pretty darned good mechanic or know a reasonable truck repair shop that can handle it. Having said that......they are a blast to drive. Good luck!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks