• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie Looking at my first deuce

Mattsfmj

Yeah I work at a heavy equipment/ truck shop been doing it for 12 years I have all the big tools 10 ton floor jacks and 1 inch drive stuff so I am not to worried about working on it. That's kind of why I want it for the fun of driving it and working on it. At lest it's fun for me I just love learning about this stuff and everyone has been great help. Is there anyone from around my area in North Carolina on this forum?

SteveKuhn

Speaking of transfer case -- take it for a ride at 40 -45 and see if it wants to pop out of high range. If it stays in, keep your hand lightly on the xfer case shifter and see if it wants to do the Bossa Nova fore-and-aft. If it does . . .

Ask me how I know.

Steve

Mattsfmj

One more question how can I tell which turbo the truck has (C or D)? Is there a easy way to tell? And witch one is the one they call the whistler?

Woodsplinter

The "C" turbo is the whistler. I'm not sure how to tell by looking at them. You can hear a high- pitched whistle when driving but that's not an option for you now. Hopefully one of the turbo experts will chime in with some way to visually ID it.

roscoe

If you give this information to "Carnac", on this site, he can give you background information on the truck. If he still does that, anyway, it's been a while since I saw that thread.

rustystud

Title transfer from Tennessee to NC is just like any other car title transfer, no problems

Seems like to me new wheel cylinders run 25 bucks from White Owl equipment in Kinston NC and hoses ran $15. I bought both from them 4 months ago great folks to deal with.

In my opinion parts aren't to expensive for these, it's that every thing on it is so darn heavy it makes most things time consuming. Your fixing to find out first hand now with the brakes needing to be redone.
After you buy the brake cylinders, make sure they are "Made in America". If not, you can buy the seals from NAPA for a couple of dollars. Clean up the wheel cylinders and use a good brake assembly lube with the new "Made in America" seals.

Hainebd

Why hasn't someone told this guy no! If you get it all else will go by the way side. I got mine and all my other chores are just piling up. Oil changes, brake job on wife's car, cutting grass(no rain please). I spend every extra $$ on big brute and every free minute thinking of him. Been a couple of months since I ran the beast due to surgery but all my buds keep him running fine. Today took him out to get shelter put on and he ran great. Parts are not that expensive and nothing is overly complicated. I paid $1,500 for mine and put another $3,000 in him. Complete new winch, spring seat, pulled all wheels and 50% bearings and wheel cylinder replaced(easy to do), new drive line fluid, 4 flats fixed, all new light assemblies and rear harness. I for got somthing but you get the idea. I am running 11.00 tires from 1968. Just scored 12 - 395 and rims. Soon he will be done, ya right. Paint, no told not to paint.
Just do it buy the thing. I waited 30 years for mine.

Mattsfmj

Why hasn't someone told this guy no! If you get it all else will go by the way side. I got mine and all my other chores are just piling up. Oil changes, brake job on wife's car, cutting grass(no rain please). I spend every extra $$ on big brute and every free minute thinking of him. Been a couple of months since I ran the beast due to surgery but all my buds keep him running fine. Today took him out to get shelter put on and he ran great. Parts are not that expensive and nothing is overly complicated. I paid $1,500 for mine and put another $3,000 in him. Complete new winch, spring seat, pulled all wheels and 50% bearings and wheel cylinder replaced(easy to do), new drive line fluid, 4 flats fixed, all new light assemblies and rear harness. I for got somthing but you get the idea. I am running 11.00 tires from 1968. Just scored 12 - 395 and rims. Soon he will be done, ya right. Paint, no told not to paint.
Just do it buy the thing. I waited 30 years for mine.
Ha! Thanks for the advice… I think.

Mattsfmj

Ok went by the guys place again today gave it another good look. I think I have a D turbo I really wanted the C but the price is right on this truck I hate pass on it. Can I switch it over to a C? Also where can I find a C turbo? It does have a dent in the finder on the back near the door is there a place to buy sheet metal for these like a LMC where I buy body panels for my 1984 k10? Sorry to keep asking so many questions. A big thanks to everyone.

Last edited:

Woodsplinter

You can change the turbos if you want. I have the "C" turbo and quite frankly it tends to get annoying after driving for a while. People outside the truck say it sounds cool when you drive by.

Some members here state the "D" turbo produces more power. Turbos can be found with other members here and other on-line vendors. Can't give you a price as I haven't kept up with turbo pricing.

Don't let the type of turbo affect your decision- as you will see, it really doesn't make much difference.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks