• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie - - - Looking For A M101A3

Andercomm

Hi...I have been readng posts from here for several months now, and have really enjoyed all of the informative posts and information you guys share. I recently joined the forum as I enjoy it so much.

As a 'newbie' - I have decided I would like to purchase my first military trailer - a M101A3.

I have signed up at Government Liquidations, and am all geared up to drive somewhere and pick one up. Several users have posted about winning 'like-new' trailers and the photos of these units look great and make one jealous. Most of the M101A3 trailers I have seen for sale seem only as new as 1993, and look 'used'. Granted I don't check the auction pages every day...maybe I should be?

Is there some secret I should be applying to find one of these 'like-new' trailers. I apprecaite the wisdom and guidance of those have been at this for some time...and look forward to being a proud owner of one someday...hopefully soon!

Thanks....

tbone1004

you have to remember, these things are solid, so you can have a trailer from the 60's that looks like new. A lot of them have sat in the truck depots with not a whole lot of use or just got rebuilt. My 116a1 is OLD and you can tell it's old, but if I put new wheels and tires on it and painted it you couldn't tell it from a new 116 aside from the axle. You should be checking the pages regularly and bidding regularly.

Andercomm

I guess I should re-tune my question - should I be searching a specific way on G/L to pull up all the listed M101A3 trailers...I have been just typing in 'M101A3'. Many times they do not list a year in the description listing...I assume I should be trying to get the newest trailer year available - it seems guys have mentioned Years 2000 or 2001 being the newest years in finding a 'like new' trailer.

I don't mind the travel for a recovery nor paying a premium on the bid to get a nice trailer - though due to working full-time I don't see me driving out a long way for a pre-auction inspection. And I really only have room for 1 trailer here at my house, so the one I end up buying will likely be a 'keeper'...!

Any thoughts, ideas or pointing to another link or previous discussion to help the 'newbie' out will be appreciated...!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
GL doesn't help your search as they are not consistant with thier descriptions.

Only way to "find" one is to check the listings, look at the pictures,not always the correct one as they use the same picture for MANY auctions, and hope for the best.

Remember, GL is in the business to move stuff, but to be a retail shop where you can "kick the tires"

harleyhouse

Are you in search of a M101A3 for the wider axle and tub?

My M101A2 was built in 1990 and after cleaning and paint looks like new.
It has the one thing I wanted 8 bolt hubs to match my 2500HD.
The trailer is built like a rock, rides nice even empty and looks cool!

Attachments

You want a M101A3 on a M116A3 frame. A lot go out of Ft. Meade in MD.

There is a nice on listed in Arkansas.

The more being auction the lower the price. Just aren't many right now. 9 month ago was a free for all.

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And contrary to what other people will tell you just because it is listed at GL as an A3 doesn't mean it is an A3. Tons of them have the old bed swap done. A3 frame and axle with an A2 bed. They have to list it according to the what the frame tag says.

May or may not be easy to spot in the pics so beware.

Andercomm

M101a3

I have seen photos of A3's that have Sand colored togues and frames and Cammo or OD painted beds - what is that all about....switching a Sand colored trailer with a beat-up bed with a replacement 'unmatching colored bed?

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bed swap as I mentioned earlier. I like my A2s, green trailers that they painted tan with the covers on. You can guess what they look like when you take the covers off...........

;-)

Ressoldier

Having an A2 bed on an M116A3 chassy is more obvious due to the HMMWV wheels sticking out to far. My 101 A2 has an A1 box on it since the A2 had the loops. in each corner for lifting/ sling load.

Andercomm

Fitting a m-250 commo shelter

I guess I should ask - I thought I had read somewhere that you needed the larger size of a M101A3 to fit a M-250 Telco Commo Shelter in the bed - and that a M101A1 and M101A2 were too small to fit it without alterations...?

Anyone know if this is right?

Andercomm

Fitting m-250 commo shelter

Guess I found my answer in that post - thanks.

It also mentioned having a M101A2 chasis/bed - but being able to swap it out for an A3 Bed which was wider - wonder if that really would work and how one would find another A3 to swap?

"My S-250 measures 48" at the bottom and my m101a2 measures nearly 46" between the wheel wells. Theres no way a 250 will fit a standard 101 bed without modification. It will work in a a3 bed."

KsM715

If you read that thread you will see that the point on the 250 that goes between the wheel wells is actually slightly smaller than the 48" measured at the front or rear. True a 250 will not slide into an A2 but it "may" fit if you have the abillity to drop it in from the top.

I'm not so sure an A3 bed will fit on an A2 chassis with an A2 axle in place. The wider wheel wells would probably rub the tires on an A2.

Andercomm

"True a 250 will not slide into an A2 but it "may" fit if you have the abillity to drop it in from the top."

That's a very interesting idea...locally there is a auto towing company that would lift the strapped M-250 up and into the trailer for me - no problem with that. And I do not plan to remove the shelter from the trailer once it is in place.

Would just like to really speak with someone that had successfully done it before running out to buy a M101A2 (which I have an eye on right now) only to find out the silly couple of inches was a major issue.

Great discussion - I love this forum...!

Last edited:

Andercomm

Fitting a m-250 commo trailer

It must be real tight though - I just this morning spoke with a surplus vendor who has many M-250's on his lot - he had cherry-picked one for a guy with a M101A2 trailer...when the buyer arrived - they tried to 'drop' the Shelter into his trailer with a forklift --- but the shelter bottom edges kept dropping onto the fender tops and wouldn't seat into the bottom of the bed...after numerous tries the guy gave up and left - as the story goes he came back a few weeks later after he chopped off several inches of the inner fenders on both sides and re-welded it shut.