• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie Looking for First Deuce - Opinions Wanted

Buy It Or Walk Away

• Total voters

oklacowboy

As the title says, I'm a noob with the Deuce Fever. I just hope this is the correct place to ask for such opinions.

I'm looking for a multi-fuel turbo, that i can rely on. The use of multiple fuels will be mandatory at times. I'm aiming to set up a response vehicle for emergency communications. It is possible that I could set up in a location without good fuel supply, Ill need to be able to run just about anything I can salvage from wrecked and abandoned vehicles or donated supplies etc. As a storm spotter and ham radio guy, my hope it to set up the truck to get into areas that are in bad shape. Either I will convert the bed to a shelter or I'll set up a trailer to be towed in to house the radio shelter. But the truck has to be SOLID, ugly I can handle... but it must be something i can rely upon to jump in, go and potentially aid in a disaster.

My initial budget is capped at $4000. There are less capable vehicles (retired u-hauls) that could be converted over under this mark. But the loss of ability to access some areas and the likelihood of mechanical failure stopping the truck is infinitely higher.

I've located a cheap deuce about 600 miles away. '71 is the advertised year. It's being offered to me for $2500, but i know it needs some work. I have limited resources to fix things on my own. Thus far I have been a write checks kinda operation. I can fix minor things, or beat things into submission to get operational in a hurry. But I don't know that I'm comfortable with a large scale repair. Here is what I know so far, i have not seen the truck in person as its 9 hours one way just to see it:

The Noted Bad:
no wiper blades
The rear axles leak, but aren't pouring or anything like that.
broken radiator mount, It pulled about 1/16" away from the radiator and caused a small pin hole where it tore loose. Unknown how long this has been like this.
decent rust spot in a bed corner.
passenger windshield frame is rough
Unknown if SCA's have been used in coolant
Unknown last time overhauled (engine or trans)
Guy traded some stuff for it and it has essentially been sitting. The guy he bought it from also let it sit. 5 years or so total is my guess, maybe more.

The Noted Good:
The truck runs good, stops good, steers good (as much as possible anyway), the locker works.
Gears don't grind, clutch feels good.
It's full of new looking anti-freeze.
The engine oil stays full and looks pretty good.
Paint is faded, but looks pretty good.
All the lights seem to work.
Heat works in cab. Both feet and defrost.
Has new soft top and cargo top
Still has the troop seats
Has two new batteries
It is a D turbo and is "quieter"

The Questionable:
"No title on these... you can get an antique tag and insurance with only the bill of sale."
Owner is unsure if it could drive top speed for 600 miles. My only option is to drive my purchase back, I can not tow a rig home. no option to borrow a rig capable of it either.

I've linked a couple of images and a youtube video of the truck. Some of you may be familiar with the truck, it is in Alabama.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NgJB49JYEU

c8a459ea.jpgde1825f0.jpg

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Oklahoma the "No Title" is a show stopper. No title in OK means a parts vehicle only. There are no antique tags without a title.

ALL vehicles require a title in OK.

There are ways to get one but it is costly and time consuming.

Move on or offer him $1000

I've bought and sold over a two dozen MVs in the last few years. I kind of know what is required in OK.

Last edited:

MT4222

You should make shure that your state doesn't require a title. If it does i would try to stay clear of this vehicle. Wiper blades are 20 dollars so no big deal there. For the radiator it may need to be replaced. And for the axles, the cost to have them fixed depends where they are leaking from.

oklacowboy

In Oklahoma the "No Title" is a show stopper. No title in OK means a parts vehicle only. There are no antique tags without a title.

ALL vehicles require a title in OK.

There are ways to get one but it is costly and time consuming.

Move on or offer him $1000

I've bought and sold over a two dozen MVs in the last few years. I kind of know what is required in OK.
Yeah, Im a collector car guy myself. Run into that title issue before, my thought would be that if it is insured and tagged in another state that it might be possible to title easily in Okla. Thats why I put it in the iffy area, as I immediately took a step back on that. I hate red tape, so I'm thinking I'll pass on this one. This truck is available on CL in Huntsville if anyone out that way is looking.

On that note, does anyone know of a truck to look at? The time of year is perfect for me to begin buying and building for the spring storm season. I won't be able to be fully operational this year, just not possible. But the sooner I have a truck, the sooner I can start shake downs of the base vehicle this year.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does you cap include the "Box" you want? There are some trucks available in the OKC area.

uriss

If the vehicle is sitting in alabama I can tell you from experience unless things have chhanged since I lived there that get the guy selling it to go to the DMV and register it. Over the years I have swooped into alabama usually Montogmery and picked out an address from some country road as the greyhound buss whizzed past it. That and a lead pencil etching of the vin number will get you a no title registration and license plate. Having done that about five times in the past I never had a problem tagging and title through Illinois dmv.
If you get it and want to build a box on the back of that duece pm me and I will try and get you pics of the box I am putting on mine right now. good luck

oklacowboy

Does you cap include the "Box" you want? There are some trucks available in the OKC area.
I'm aiming for the truck now. I can worry about the box later as it can either be something in the bed of the truck, or a trailer pulled by the truck. For this season I'm just hoping to get the truck and begin preps and testing its ability to get into "disaster areas". Obviously I'm hoping no such areas exist, but it happens.

I haven't seen any truck in the OKC area yet, my google-foo must be failing me. I'll get to hunting and see what turns up.

If the vehicle is sitting in alabama I can tell you from experience unless things have chhanged since I lived there that get the guy selling it to go to the DMV and register it. Over the years I have swooped into alabama usually Montogmery and picked out an address from some country road as the greyhound buss whizzed past it. That and a lead pencil etching of the vin number will get you a no title registration and license plate. Having done that about five times in the past I never had a problem tagging and title through Illinois dmv.
If you get it and want to build a box on the back of that duece pm me and I will try and get you pics of the box I am putting on mine right now. good luck
This is good information! I suspected there would be a decently simple way to title it here. I figured for it to have a tag in Alabama, it must be registered somehow. That said, I'm slightly worried the amount of work needed on it and the distance of travel I must cover before having acces to any form of repair may be far too great.

I plan to look locally and see what I can turn up. If all else fails, perhaps this one will still be available and I can arrange a recovery attempt.

Last edited:

oklacowboy

That S280 looks awful small compared to what i thought it was! I've considered the M109 vans, if one turns up I may go for it. It was my original plan, but Ive kinda fallen for the ability to deliver the comm shelter to a location, and still have the truck available if needed. Plus, it would allow me to use the truck when not needing the comm shelter.

Scarecrow1

There is a simple solution , have the current owner of the truck try to title it if he can the you can reimburse him the money if you wish . For me, and it sounds like a few others is the fact that you may be buying a truck that will hurt not help your mission. If you do a search of the topic about buying a MV with no title then you may see the problem. Not to mention that you may be buying a stole vehicle but, even if it is legit it is some times impossible to get it titled in some states . There is a form called SF97 that you have a limited time to apply for if you buy it from GL or many reputable business . I would try to see if it can be titled and if not then pass on it .....

oklacowboy

Thanks, ive already pushed this one to the back burner. It looks solid, but I'm looking a little closer to home now in hopes of finding something less risky.

Hey... Once you have a trailer chassis, there is no reason to limit yourself to the box it comes with. Build your own. If my dad could build a camper back in 1930 based on an axel and spring suspension from an old Chevy. And we were still using it to haul stuff in the 1980s... I'd like to think there are things that can be done with the more modern equipment. ( I'm fond of 2x4 technology actually.)

uriss

if that already has a 'bama tag then you absolutely have no problems. Just make sure to get the bill of sale and RETAG it in your name at a dmv in Huntsville before you leave Bama.
On the box that I am building for mine I will put a picture of it up on line by tomorrow, I think. Built my box to also include the area over the cab. Gives added storage, keeps the sun off the head and the truck rides awesome now that it has some weight on it which makes it even more stable going down the road. Built mine out of Lowes. All wood. 3/4 plywood sides on 2x4 frame with 2x6 roof joists and 1/2 plwood roof. Did the seams with fiberglass. Got about $300.00 into the exterior and the interior will be finished in wood panel (luan) for under $300.00. That truck is my hunting camp/bugout vehicle.

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur

You cannot.....I repeat....cannot get a title for a vehicle this old with a Bill of Sale in Alabama. You can get a tag and registration. I have gotten titles for older vehicles but only if I had a title from GL or from another state.

My guess is that the owner got this truck when deuces were real cheap and is willing to take less profit due to the lack of title. If I had the money I'd be interested at that price.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks