• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie - MK48 Advice

wingman2012

Please excuse if I have made some mistakes in posting. Newbie :)

I recently purchased a MK48 front unit from CA Barstow. Along with two trailers. One from Barstow and One with a Crane from Ocean side.

The front unit has 981 miles and 3 hours of operation but does not run.
Unlike the recent MKs that came up in Jville and Lejeune (which I think got pulled out) which all seemed to be in good condition, the ones from Barstow looks like they were sitting there for a long time.

Hoping it fires up and runs right off the bat with a new battery :)

Can anyone recommend any local shop in the BayArea California (San Jose) that I could possibly take this to when delivered. I have no idea whom to even take to. I am assuming anyone with Diesel Truck experience should be able to look at.

Any and all advice will be appreciated.

kmfcap

I would think that a Detroit Diesel shop would be able to work on the engine if needed. Are you going to use this on public roads? Have you tried registering it yet? I think CA has truck emissions regulations that a MK48 won't pass. Where are you going to get spares form? Oshkosh won't sell to the general public. Let me know what happens.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I think CA has truck emissions regulations that a MK48 won't pass.
These trucks have the Double O 92 Silver series Detroit engines which are two stroke.....they burn oil just like a two stroke motorcycle...under load or with a restricted air cleaner they smoke like a freight train. If a Detriot is not leaking oil then there is no oil in it.

My guess is that it would cause most tree huggers to stroke out if they saw one on the road.

The MK48's are heavy and ride like an oxcart. The cab forward design (you sit in front of the steering axles) takes a lot of getting used to. Because they also bend in the middle they can get loose on the highway before you know it.

If the "Double breasted Yamaha" has been run out of fuel you will play l-lell getting it primed. The best way to do it is install a valve stem into the fuel cap and push fuel to the pump.

4 MPG is a wet dream going down the highway empty, even worse loaded. If you let them slow idle they will slobber oil and when you take off you will put out a smoke screen that would be the envy of a Smoke Generation Section. To prevent slobber you have to run them over 1000 rpm.

You may also have trouble finding an old school mechanic that can work on them. My guess is that shop labor out there is north of 100 bucks an hour (it's 75 an hour here). The engines in the HEMMT's had mechanical injector pumps....no electrinics to help diagnose problems.

I have far more experience with HEMMT's than the MK48's but there are a lot of similarities.

My last tour in Korea was in an Armor unit and my Support Platoon had 10 cargo and 10 fuel HEMMT's. I drove them, worked on them, cussed them and had to keep them dispatched 24/7.

The HEMMT is a beotch to work on because it was designed by someone with four tiny arms, double jointed hands and a prehensile tail. The MK48 has the additional hydrolics for the articulation and to run the systems on the various trailers. Between the air lines, wiring and hydrolics chasing down issues takes Soldiers A, B and C.

The radiator cost the gooberment 6000 bucks a pop and is prob made of unobtainium.

CA has "visible emission laws" that will get you a ticket in a heartbeat (this was true in the 70's when I was trucking out there, I assume it has not gotten any better). My guess is that you are going to have problems getting it on the road but it's been a long time since I was in "Shakey" (not long enough).

I like them for the cool factor and I'm not trying to rain on your parade but you may be in for some issues that will be difficult to resolve out yonder.

Good luck with that.

Danl

Danl M915A1

These trucks have the Double O 92 Silver series Detroit engines which are two stroke.....they burn oil just like a two stroke motorcycle...under load or with a restricted air cleaner they smoke like a freight train. If a Detriot is not leaking oil then there is no oil in it.

My guess is that it would cause most tree huggers to stroke out if they saw one on the road.

The MK48's are heavy and ride like an oxcart. The cab forward design (you sit in front of the steering axles) takes a lot of getting used to. Because they also bend in the middle they can get loose on the highway before you know it.

If the "Double breasted Yamaha" has been run out of fuel you will play l-lell getting it primed. The best way to do it is install a valve stem into the fuel cap and push fuel to the pump.

4 MPG is a wet dream going down the highway empty, even worse loaded. If you let them slow idle they will slobber oil and when you take off you will put out a smoke screen that would be the envy of a Smoke Generation Section. To prevent slobber you have to run them over 1000 rpm.

You may also have trouble finding an old school mechanic that can work on them. My guess is that shop labor out there is north of 100 bucks an hour (it's 75 an hour here). The engines in the HEMMT's had mechanical injector pumps....no electrinics to help diagnose problems.

I have far more experience with HEMMT's than the MK48's but there are a lot of similarities.

My last tour in Korea was in an Armor unit and my Support Platoon had 10 cargo and 10 fuel HEMMT's. I drove them, worked on them, cussed them and had to keep them dispatched 24/7.

The HEMMT is a beotch to work on because it was designed by someone with four tiny arms, double jointed hands and a prehensile tail. The MK48 has the additional hydrolics for the articulation and to run the systems on the various trailers. Between the air lines, wiring and hydrolics chasing down issues takes Soldiers A, B and C.

The radiator cost the gooberment 6000 bucks a pop and is prob made of unobtainium.

CA has "visible emission laws" that will get you a ticket in a heartbeat (this was true in the 70's when I was trucking out there, I assume it has not gotten any better). My guess is that you are going to have problems getting it on the road but it's been a long time since I was in "Shakey" (not long enough).

I like them for the cool factor and I'm not trying to rain on your parade but you may be in for some issues that will be difficult to resolve out yonder.

Good luck with that.
WOW that was something else , My hat comes of to you Wrecker MAN:whistle:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
For the price they went for in J'ville a few weeks ago I'm still kicking my own arse for not breaking out the backup credit card.

I loved driving the HEMMT's in Korea.....over there the bigger you are the more right of way you have.

We used to haul used tank track for the M1's in our unit.......two tracks would make a HEMMT strain but they would still pull.

I hope one shows up at the GA Rally this year.

63foxtrot

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We got 7 from that sale. They all need work from drained fluids, bad transmission, cut wires, leaky air systems, missing all kind of parts, abs problems, etc, etc. I wish you luck.

wingman2012

Danl and other s......

I wish I had posted my intent to purchase. I most likely would have bailed after reading about this.

Will just need to add this to the stupid things I do.. Will keep you posted on how things work out.

Might just drive around my Ranch ;) or have this thing for sale soon :)

Any more advice - loop holes etc would be appreciated.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Will just need to add this to the stupid things I do.. Will keep you posted on how things work out.
Welcome to my world and the insane world of MV ownership.:cookoo:

I wanted a 5 ton wrecker so bad I could taste it......when I got it I was like the dog chasing the car...when I caught it it was a lot more than I could handle. Can you say money pit?

We all live and learn.......and it's all good.

Well.....until you're standing on the side of the road in the dark trying to change fuel filters on a deuce with another deuce towbarred to it in the middle of Arkansas.auaaua

goldneagle

Danl and other s......

I wish I had posted my intent to purchase. I most likely would have bailed after reading about this.

Take lots of pictures of it while you still own it. This way you can at least show you used to own one. It does have a real cool factor.

goldneagle

Welcome to my world and the insane world of MV ownership.:cookoo:

I wanted a 5 ton wrecker so bad I could taste it......when I got it I was like the dog chasing the car...when I caught it it was a lot more than I could handle. Can you say money pit?

We all live and learn.......and it's all good.

Well.....until you're standing on the side of the road in the dark trying to change fuel filters on a deuce with another deuce towbarred to it in the middle of Arkansas.auaaua
At least you had spares. Or spare parts in the other Deuce.

wingman2012

wreckerman893 - Thank you. Obviously you have been there done that !!!

Hope I can bounce things of you and seek your advice through my journey.

quickfarms

The CA DMV is not to bad if you know the regs and hand them the right paperwork. You can pm me and we can discuss it.

The CHP will ticket you for smoke but if the vehicle is not regersted commercially you can become exempt from the CARB rules.

For a recommendation on a shop I suggest you contact the local club, the MVCC, and ask them or go to tower park in September and ask around.

Good luck

wingman2012

BTW - Gov Liquidation or CA Barstow - should be putting notice selling these to the public if they wont pass CA emission stds.

Now I am getting desparate aua

nf6x

Feral Engineer
I think I saw some notice in the reams of GL fine print about CA's impending requirement to add particulate filters or swap out engines. It's my understanding that registering as a Historical Vehicle provides and exemption to that.

Congratulations on the MK48 in any case! Whether you end up keeping it or not, I'd say that you are definitely in the big league of MV collectors now.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
BTW - Gov Liquidation or CA Barstow - should be putting notice selling these to the public if they wont pass CA emission stds.

I hate to say this, that is up to the buyer to know what he can do or not do with what he buys, a little research goes a long way.

GLs job is to sell the trucks, they do not know or care the end use or if it is exempt from what ever laws, IF people start bitching about things like carb because the truck that they brought fails to the government, the sale code WILL be CHANGED to DEMIL (cut up, which will make SOME very happy), raising prices, parts hard to get, on and on and on

M1031CMT

Danl and other s......

You are not the first, and sadly you won't be the last that something like this happens to.

I get dozens of emails each year to our website where people are asking about buying "a cool army truck". I tell them the ups and downs of owning these trucks and how they should do as much research as possible. I get some responses around the lines of "You just want to be the only one with an army truck. You are saying this to make sure I don't buy one!". Which I answer them that they can do what they wish, I am just telling them what I know (they were also the ones who sent me the email in the first place). Though some of these people then ask my help in trying to sell the vehicle a few months later because of all the issues I explained to them (expensive to own/operate because of fuel and part costs, the need for a CDL, can't just park it anywhere, not practical for a daily driver in many cases, etc). Some people end up getting around what they put into it, but many end up loosing big in selling it (one guy spent $10k on a deuce and barely got $2k trying to get rid of it).

Don't really see too many loop holes for your situation. What was your intent for the truck? Was it going to be used for work or just a personal truck? If it was for work, you might be able to get it modified for the exhaust problem. Though in any case I see it costing a lot of money for the work. Both in just getting it running properly and any modifications needed. Unless you can do a lot of the work yourself, these types of trucks can cost mountains of money just to get them fixed up and driving on the road (repairs, maintenance, registration, insurance, etc).

Good luck in your purchase. Maybe you will be able to use it anyways. If all else fails, I am sure the people here will be able to help you find a new home for it :wink:

wingman2012