• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie - MK48 Advice

cpf240

BTW - Gov Liquidation or CA Barstow - should be putting notice selling these to the public if they wont pass CA emission stds.

Now I am getting desparate aua
I bought an M1009 last October, and have already received at least two e-mail and one snail-mail notice regarding the CARB rules, etc. My understanding is that they don't really apply to the CUCVs, so I'm not too worried about it. If I had something like an M35, then I'd be worried.

kmfcap

Forget the emissions requirements, can you register these for road use in CA? Has anyone here done that yet or at least inquired?

Bighurt

BTW - Gov Liquidation or CA Barstow - should be putting notice selling these to the public if they wont pass CA emission stds.

Now I am getting desparate aua
Not their job, they sell surplus, they aren't a dealership. The sale doesn't come with a title either, you have to apply for that separate.

I got news for you most those diesel trucks driving around CA now won't pass the up and coming CA emission standards. And the new laws no longer allow vehicles to meet their model year standards. You meet the new standard or you don't operate in CA.

I bought a truck via GL once that was missing a ton a parts, but I put her back together. Just takes patience, work, and money. My guess is one of those you have or are very good with.

I wish you the best of luck.

pyro1955

Reading about all these rules in California only re-enforce my reasons for never ever moving there. I refuse to be told what I can drive and what kind of guns I can have, I collect alot of WWI & WWII guns, most of which would never pass California's restrictions, and now that I have my Deuce, I'm sure it would never pass their emissions restrictions.

quickfarms

Here is the link: V C Section 5004 Vehicles of Historic Value

You can be exempt from wight, which would kill you on this. I recommend using a registration service that contracts with the DMV. If you show up at the DMV in that, you are wasting your time. They could not even handle my M35A3.
I went that route with my truck first and a well know registration service could not get it registered. I ended up doing it myself. Once I did the research and got all of the paperwork together it only took a couple of hours to get my plates at DMV. DMV is not a waste of time if you have all of the paperwork.

jpinst

I went that route with my truck first and a well know registration service could not get it registered. I ended up doing it myself. Once I did the research and got all of the paperwork together it only took a couple of hours to get my plates at DMV. DMV is not a waste of time if you have all of the paperwork.
I guess it really depends on which DMV, because I already had it titled and plated out of state, and was not even trying to get a first title with GL docs and the just could not deal with it. The Lady came out to do the inspection and when I pointed everything out to her she filed and said "I am not even sure we are supposed to register these" and then told me to take it to CHP for inspection. I did not need that, and the registration service had me plates in a few hours on the same day.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
After having worked with these things all day today I can say that I would not own one on a bet.

The steering is scary to say the least. I backed one up onto a RGN trailer this morning and it was eye opening experience. Driving them around the parking lots was interesting too.:roll:

They do have a cool factor but my guess is that they will be a maintenance nightmare.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
After having worked with these things all day today I can say that I would not own one on a bet.

The steering is scary to say the least. I backed one up onto a RGN trailer this morning and it was eye opening experience. Driving them around the parking lots was interesting too.:roll:

They do have a cool factor but my guess is that they will be a maintenance nightmare.

Richard....

While I certainly accept your wisdom and well intentioned mentorship on these MVs, I had always thought that:

COOLNESS trumps ALL other factors every time!!!

But again, I default to your sage observations.

Owning an M48 shall remain but a covetous dream.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks