• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie! Need some advice.

GreesyBlazer43

Hey people,

I just picked up a pretty good m1009 diesel blazer and I want to make it a daily driver. What do I NEED to do to it mechanically, What SHOULD I do, What would be NICE to do? Trying to get some ideas other than what I have been concentrating on. I put FatMat down, the body is getting straightened and primed, and I did an oil change and air filter. Whats next?

epitts

First welcome: Start by reading all you can on this web site, down load the TM's you will need them. I started by cleaning all elec connections and using dielectric grease on connections. They say here if it is rubber replace it, if electric clean it. Good luck with your M1009.

TCUCV

Welcome to the forum, I would also recommend downloading the TM's . . . make yourself as familiar as possible with the engine, hoses and electrical. The more you know the better prepared you are when it breaks. I would suggest carrying electrical cleaner, fuses and all the fluids for back up. The first thing I did was get a new air filter and start checking for leaks . . .

Lets see a picture of this new ride!

original

These trucks are old. Change all fluids. Preventative Maintenance is key to extending the life of the truck. You never know who changed it last. This also gives you a chance to get familiar with the truck.
Front / Rear Differential Fluid
Engine and Transmission Fluid
Power Steering Fluid
Brake Fluid (DOT 5)

jamesonsdad

welcome to the sight[thumbzup] i use my m1009 as a daily driver as well and love every mile she gives me.as stated download the tm's and learn what you can and don't be afraid to ask questions remember the only dumb question is the one that isn't asked.....

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to SteelSoldiers.

Make sure you visit the Cucv Wiki - Steel Soldiers::Military Vehicles Supersite (CUCV Wiki) that is at the top of the page on the CUCV Forum.

All of the CUCV Technical Manuals are listed and many other helpful bits of information.

Make sure you download the repair manuals. You can get then for free. A couple of our members have posted them on their websites.
Also the wiring diagrams are in the appendix of the -20 and -34 manuals.

JATONKAM35s HOME ON THE WEB

Also checkout the http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/20600-faq-thread-cucvs.html stickey. It is where we try to post helpful tips and tricks.
Almost every question you will have has been asked and answered many times. The advanced search will become your best friend. Please don't hesitate to ask something that you can't find.

Read the TM 9-2320-289-10 Operators Manual to find out how a stock system should work. It is simular to the Operators Manual for Civilian vehicles. It tells you where all the lighs, switches, etc are located and what they do.

Three of the most important tools you can buy are:
Voltmeter and know how to use it - ~$10 and up
12v Battery Charger - ~$50 for a decent one
Battery Load Tester - ~$30 for an okay one at Harbor Freight

Warthog

GreesyBlazer43

Thank You! I will download all the manuals. I bought this thing looking for a cheap diesel, and when I cracked it open I knew I made a good purchace (paid a little too much), but I'm a sucker for finding and troubleshooting a problem and electrical is my background. I think I'll have my hands full!!! I know I'll get **** for this, but my gf wont ride around in a camo truck! So it's getting primer now, but I cant wait to start wrenching as soon as it comes back. Electrical, difs, flooring, the whole interior is in the garage now getting cleaned up (except the driver seat). What should I do with the floors? Carpet with sound insulation or back to rubber? I hate the smell of that cheap over chemicaled crap so I'm leaning more toward carpet. I have FATMAT down already for the road noise. Any ideas?

GreesyBlazer43

Thanks! I never knew about that place. Looks like a dirty good time! The m1009 is going to be my tow rig/ daily driver. I am driving a jeep xj that i would like to stip and through some better footing under it to make that the wheeler. I also plan on stuffing a diesel under the hood of that! All that low end torque moving a possibly 1300lb truck! Fun!

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
when you repaint it, pick either the solid green (CARC) or the tan. My wife loves my M1028A2 dually BECAUSE it's straight green, not three color camo. I thought about painting one of my Blazers tan, but she said if I had to paint it, why not just repaint it back to CARC green (she didn't use the word CARC - obviously).

Also, the majority of braking occurs on the front brakes. So check your brakes, front AND REAR.

WELCOME TO GREEN IRON DISEASE. It took my wife several years before she become used to and then has just recently become involved in our MV club...

So have a little faith and patience with your GF. And show her the single color painted Blazers, etc...

EDIT - oops - forgot - as you've got the FATMAT down, put down AT LEAST one layer of jute and then put down the rubber floor. BEFORE putting it down, you need to put it out in the sun for a day or two, to allow the folds that occurred when it was packaged to come out. By putting it outside for a couple of days, it also allows it to gas all those nasty smells you remember BEFORE you put the mat in your truck. I have done this with several of these style trucks over the years, mainly Suburbans, but I'm warming up to the Blazers.

Again, welcome to SS.

Last edited:

Barrman

The tan paint will pick up every single dirty finger print you touch it with. It won't come out either.

I know you are moving up in size with the 1009 while most of actually are moving down when we get one. However, don't be too eager to start towing big heavy loads with it. The gearing was not meant for that kind of driving and being so short. It can get away from you real fast trying to stop on a curve with a heavy trailer.

Yes, as mentioned. Welcome to the sickness. You can't own just one!

ssgtcampbell77

Staff Sergeant
First thing to do

First thing i did was run a quart of Dextron through my fuel tank and into my oil and a cap full into my master cylinder and it smoothed alot of problems out. Then immediately handle the kingpin springs / bushings and front / rear diff fluid as these trucks are notorious for not having Preventative Maintenance on them. And flat back always looks tight on the CUCs. Good luck.

GreesyBlazer43

I was thinking of Gun Metal Grey? Its a duplicolor I think??? I have the truck primer grey right now and I think I like the color on it. The gun metal is a really black silver? I know its not an army color, but I think it will still look tough. Plus its a do it your self color. I think I saw it on one of the power block cars??? I'll post some new pics of it in primer, I think you'll see what I'm seeing.

danoscooter

My wife hates the camo paint job while my son loves it. He always asks me if I'm picking him up from school with the blazer!

Initially I wanted to paint mine black but the camo grew on me! Good luck with your M1009.

mistaken1

Camo all the way baby. No mats, no carpet, no stereo, no A/C. Mine is a military truck and it is staying that way. My wife drives it just the way it is not to mention riding in it. She knows I love it and that makes her happy.

That being said it is your truck, have fun with it. The statements about replacing rubber and cleaning electrical contacts are good advice. Learn how the 24V glow plug and starter systems work, it is only a matter of time before that knowledge will be put to the test.