• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie needs help with fuel system

71marine

Hi,
I'm new to the form due to the fact that I just picked up my first M35A2 Kaiser - Jeep 1970 vintage. My problem is that it has not run in 7 years. I'm not getting fuel to the injectors. There is some fuel in the filters. I'm planning to change the filters and flush the line and tank.
Any other suggestions. Does this vehicle have a pump in the tank?

Any help appreciated!!

Tom

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
it does have a lift pump in the tank. these are often dead for one of 2 reasons... one the fuse is shot, or two it's junk.
If my low air buzzer isn't going offI can hear the pump from the cab if the engine isn't running

nattieleather

The filters should be full when you turn the switch to on but not start the truck. The in tank pump should fill them.

See if you are getting fuel to the injector pump. I had a duce that had gotten gunk in the injector pump and was so plugged up that it wouldn't run. If filters are full and clear and the fuel is getting to the pump but not out then it's the pump that is mucked up.

On the other hand if your not getting fuel or only partial fuel to the pump then I would check the in tank pump.

It wont hurt to flush all the lines anyway if it's been sitting for 7 years.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Remove the cover on the side of the pump and make sure the shut off lever moves. It might be gummed up. Push it back and forth a few times with yer finger. nopics

acetomatoco

yup and get the 209 series of manuals and the other pertinent ones for the MF, etc and read read read. Don't forget that there are essentially 4 filters on your truck... The screen on the bottom of the intank pump is #1, the pre filter under your alternator is #2 and the "secondary" is #3 and the final is #4. Your intank pump should pee a stream out the bleeder on top of 3 and 4 if all is good... Don't forget to check the mod for Diesel Only....aka the compensator bypass and as the post above stated... the shutdown levers on the side of the IP.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The filter on the frame below the alternator is also a water separator and must be drained from time to time as should the secondary and final filters on the engine. The screen on the in-tank fuel pump rarily gets clogged.

If you have fuel to the Injection Pump, but nothing to the injectors (no hint of smoke out the exhaust while cranking), then it is possible that the fuel plunger in the IP hydraulic head may be stuck. Check the shut off lever first as stated above.
To free up the fuel plunger, remove the top center plug on the hydraulic head and using a clean metal rod, tap lightly on the plunger.
The plunger is spring loaded and rides on a cam. The cam moves the plunger to its uppermost position 3 times for every crankshaft revolution, so chances are that the lobe is not in it upper position, which would prevent you from tapping it down.

Make sure the fuel cut-off is keeping fuel off while turning the engine over for this job. With a 20:1 compression ratio it doesn't take much to get it to fire.

Bill W

The fuse for the intank pump is located at the tank at the top of the pump ( you'll see a wire running to it ) remove the small cover and its right there.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only ground wire for the fuel tank is #79 and it goes from the frame to the fuel pump via the connector on top. This also supposedly grounds the fuel level sending unit and provides a "static" ground for the tank. Check it!

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Wonder what ever came of this......

71marine

Fuel System help

Well, finally got around to working on the deuce... changed the filters, drained the tank, fresh fuel . No start... lift pump is working , fuel to the IP. Manual says to bleed the #1 injector I'll try that tomorrow. hey Bjorn, where is the fuel plunger you spoke about? Maybe I can try that also!!

Thanks

71marine

Bjorn,
The exploded diagram does not resemble my inj. pump. is the plunger you are speaking of in the housing that feeds the injector tubes? I removed a plate that was spring loaded and had 3 3/8 bolts holding in place. This was closer to the fire wall on the pump. The piston moved when the master switch was turned on and fuel lift pump came on.I need further help to find the plunger I guess...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks