• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie Needs Input On Upcoming Project...

TBigLug

Actually, that was a plan in the works. Work it for a couple years, when I upgrade or add new I wanted to convert it to my on farm only use with some extra tractor tires. Sick minded me though, I think the one in the pics looks just about right!

dburt

Big John, if you are going to do an auto tranny swap sometime, how about going whole hog (since it looks like that is the direction you are headed anyway) and swap in a Cummins 5.9 or 6.7 with the HD 6-spd double OD auto trans that comes behind the '07 and newer 6.7 Cummins? I sure wish someone would do that so we all could see the project. Can't afford it myself! I have a buddy that is about your size and build, and he manages to fit in his deuces with no major problems, I know that the steering wheel size can sure mess with things it shouldn't, maby you just need a lower seat, some kind of custom air seat lowered more to the floor? I know what you mean about staying up late thinking of mods to do to your deuce, I spend way too much time on this website. As you do this project, you will have to post pics, with info. I like your idea of a lowered towing ball covered with a plate in your flatbed. You know, your are going to modify so much on this truck, you would probably be better off just saving the time and money and buying a newer 2.5 ton 4X4 truck. Would not be as much fun tho!!

Alex400

Actually, that was a plan in the works. Work it for a couple years, when I upgrade or add new I wanted to convert it to my on farm only use with some extra tractor tires. Sick minded me though, I think the one in the pics looks just about right!
THese are available in a 42" tall 25" wide tire on a 20" rim

http://www.firestoneag.com/tirelist.asp?ref=44

put those on the back and some regular super singles up front and you would be in business.

Attachments

TBigLug

dburt- I like the way your mind works. If I had the money (or the parts laying around) the 6BT was the way I wanted to go. Last year I came narry a hair from putting a 4BT in a two door fullsize Blazer (but that's a whole other subject). I don't know much of anything about the double OD tranny you mentioned (though I will research now) but it sounds like a perfect idea. That's what i like the most about these trucks having the divorced transfer case. Your only limiting factor for motor tranny combos is what can fit under the hood! Once I get the initial mods out of the way (bobbing, moving axle, flatbed, yada yada) I'm going to start accumulating parts for the next phase. At the very least I want to find a Spicer auxilliary gear box for better road time rpm's. The multifuel will probably be around for a while for the fact I can burn anything that I can dump into the tank during the summer. I like the fact of being able to drive for free (see post about large quantities of used oil near me for next to nothing). Now, the question is, does that double OD tranny you spoke of come in a SAE (I believe that's what they call it) bellhousing to mount it up to the multifuel? Me being me, I'm sure somewhere in the future this truck will be my guinnea pig and the whole cab will come off to be stretched, raised and a repower done. For now, I have several log chains attached from my mind to the ground to keep my imagine from running to far away from me (and my pocketbook). The nice thing about the initial stage of the project is, I'll be able to do it for free. I plan on trading my truck for the deuce if possible, sell my extra rear, suspension, bed, hitch and whatever other stock parts come off to pay for the flatbed, hitch and front springs, etc.

Alex- Now, that's what I'm talking about!42" tall, close enough to a match for the 14.5R20's. Ahh, the pressure on the chains is unbearable! :-D

TBigLug

Blythewoodjoe

It is a flat bed. I made the sides to just lift out in case I ever wanted to try and pull my goose neck trailer with it. But since I put the dump on it the hoist was in the way of any type of hitch under the bed. The read bumper was my father in laws doing. I welded it but it was at his request while it was his truck. The bed is 8.5' long and the axle is placed at same position it was at originally. No new drive shaft was needed. I have a picture of it floating around somewhere with a Bradford build bed on the back, I will look for it. The bed on it in the pictures is a M35 bed that I cut down. And those are 14.5" tires on it. That took the guess work out of most things since the M35A3 uses those tires. I made the rims but now OD iron has tubeless rims I would probably use instead. It turned much easier than a regular deuce and I drove it to the Georgia rally for several hours at 61 MPH with no trouble. I loved the truck but had to sell it last year because I was broke :cry:.

TBigLug

I loved the truck but had to sell it last year because I was broke :cry:.
I hear ya' on that. After I lost my job i ended up selling everything I had. Now we're getting back on our feet so it's time to get the business rolling. That was a sweet truck you had though. Did you ever take a guess at what kind of mileage you were getting after the bigger tires and shaving off all of the weight?

ATC

Have you thought about airbags in the rear? You'd be able to lower the rear a few inches when towing, and then raise it back up for larger tires when you are working on the farm...

TBigLug

ATC- I thought about that. Modifying a setup of a Pete or something. Help with load, height and ride. If I ever do a repower in the future air ride will be on that list!

What do you guys think about using 5 ton axles instead of 2.5's? What needs to be changed as far as the driveshafts, u joints, u bolts, etc.? Wondering since the 5 tons have better gears (6.44 vs. 6.72) higher capacity and a more readily available 10 bolt pattern. It'd work out good if I could find someone to trade me 2 5 tonners for a set of 3 2.5's.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks