• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie, not sure what to ask seller or look for when buying M1009

magicman

Hi I am looking to buy a CUCV M1009 but not sure what are the right questions to ask the seller or what to look at when examining the vehicle. Can anyone help point me in the right direction?

Sorry if this question has been asked I tried looking around to find a similar question but didn't see any info.

Thanks for your help!
~MagicMAN

cpf240

What is your end goal? A period accurate show / parade vehicle? A daily driver? Off-road? That will determine what areas of the vehicle concern you. Other than that, it is a 30+ year old truck, and has all the concerns of any vehicle of that age. Rust, maintenance records, modifications, etc. For the most part, treat it like you would any purchase of a used vehicle. There is nothing all that special about them that would change any of the usual concerns, with adjustments for your intended use.

Otherwise, read through the various Helpful Threads in the CUCV forum for common trouble areas, etc. Take a look through the TM's, at the very least the -10 TM to be familiar with the basics of the truck.

Happy hunting!

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Things I look for in CUCVs:

1. Is the support bracket on the starter?
2. Does the glow plug system work properly? Is it using the resistor bank or just 12v?
3. Is the wiring still stock? (24v/12v system still intact?)
4. Does it still have the correct running gear?
5. Is the IP leaking? Hard to start cold? Smoking? Low power?
6. Is the frame cracked at the steering box? (Common flaw of the 73-87 Chevy trucks)
7. How is the sheetmetal? (Cab corners, rockers, door jambs)
8. Does the dash gauges all work? (Gen lights light up at start up)
9. Does the 4wd engage properly?
10. Does the transmission shift properly? (Could be a few things causing delayed shifting)
11. How is the coolant level? Is there any steam coming out the exhaust? Sweet smell to the exhaust? Is there any coolant in the engine oil?
12. What is the service records of the vehicle in private ownership?
13. Are there any oil cooler leaks?
14. Does everything function on the truck? (wipers, signals, blower motor, exc.)
15. Title? Mileage?

Now for some 1009 specifics....
Does the rear tailgate and window work properly?
Is there any rust back there?
Water leaks around the rear cover?
Is the rear seat there?

Then there's the basic stuff like the condition externally, interior, jack/lug wrench, exc.

This is just stuff that comes to my mind with the CUCV. I'm sure there's other points I've missed.

magicman

Things I look for in CUCVs:

1. Is the support bracket on the starter?
2. Does the glow plug system work properly? Is it using the resistor bank or just 12v?
3. Is the wiring still stock? (24v/12v system still intact?)
4. Does it still have the correct running gear?
5. Is the IP leaking? Hard to start cold? Smoking? Low power?
6. Is the frame cracked at the steering box? (Common flaw of the 73-87 Chevy trucks)
7. How is the sheetmetal? (Cab corners, rockers, door jambs)
8. Does the dash gauges all work? (Gen lights light up at start up)
9. Does the 4wd engage properly?
10. Does the transmission shift properly? (Could be a few things causing delayed shifting)
11. How is the coolant level? Is there any steam coming out the exhaust? Sweet smell to the exhaust? Is there any coolant in the engine oil?
12. What is the service records of the vehicle in private ownership?
13. Are there any oil cooler leaks?
14. Does everything function on the truck? (wipers, signals, blower motor, exc.)
15. Title? Mileage?

Now for some 1009 specifics....
Does the rear tailgate and window work properly?
Is there any rust back there?
Water leaks around the rear cover?
Is the rear seat there?

Then there's the basic stuff like the condition externally, interior, jack/lug wrench, exc.

This is just stuff that comes to my mind with the CUCV. I'm sure there's other points I've missed.
THANK YOU this was very helpful!

Rvitko

They will all be a restoration project, unless someone previously did the restoration and then you want to be sure it was done right and the price tag will likely be hefty. From my experience, Patracy nailed it. Their are a lot of little things that can cause huge headaches if not attended to. For example the metal oil cooler lines are clamped at the left side of the radiator, if that clamp is missing the lines will rub through. The guy I bought mine from gave me some good advice, drive it every day, but stay close to home, that way when it breaks down you can get it back cheaply to fix it. At a minimum expect that everything rubber will need to be replaced and the clamps for the lines are not just niceties, the fuel lines and oil cooler lines can break or rub through if they are missing and they are parts that can be hard to get.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks