• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie/POSSIBLE Future '71 Deuce Owner, from Alaska/California

71DeuceAK

Another newbie to the Deuce and 5-ton hobby here. Got "hooked" about six months ago, which is kind of funny and ironic since I've been around Deuces in the past (Rode in one once) and thought absolutely nothing of them at that time. Been 'Lurking' here for about a week and a half, and joined a few days ago.

Spent most of my childhood in Atascadero, CA. Then my life slowly evolved to spending more and more time in southeast Alaska (Sitka area mostly). I've seen several other members here are from California and Alaska; that's interesting to me to say the least.

In about a year I MIGHT, emphasis on MIGHT, be ending up with a 1971 Deuce and a Half. Ah, the things you "discover" when talking to people you've known for years already. Story behind it is somewhat amusing. (to me anyway). Someone I know (who is an avid by-the-book yardsaler and collector of just about anything useful, just like I am) was going through the newspaper classifieds about five years ago and sees an ad for a truck for 600 bucks. For 600, you'd think a used pickup, right? He did. No pictures, no phone number, just a street address. Goes out there and it turns out to NOT be a pickup at all. I remember commenting "I bet the look on your face was priceless!". Apparently he didn't let on that he was surprised and bought it thinking it'd be something to re-sell. New tires, new bed (well all new 5 years ago now but never really used), but I'm told the muffler is wrapped in a piece of flashing. Apparently the guy had one too many trucks for his company (I think it was used for hauling lumber, once!) Anyway, he had it for sale for a grand, then the 600 he got it for, and still has had absolutely no interest. (And this has been going on for about 5 years now). Had it on Craigslist for months, posted ads in all the organic-food places in Port Townsend, WA (Where it currently sits), and still no interest. Soooo...long story short, I MIGHT be ending up with it more or less given to me in a year from now. (Currently writing as of June 2015).

Funny thing is, in the conversation leading up to this I was joking about how much firewood, etc. I'd be trying to fit in the trunk/backseat/passenger seat of a small Sedan. I mentioned, warning that it was one of my many wildly bizarre ideas that may never fly in the real world, that I'd like to someday own a Deuce. And it went from there.

So I may end up with it in a year...we'll see. I'll need at least that long to prepare; I don't even have my driving instruction permit and have never even gotten behind the wheel of a car although that will hopefully change in the next few weeks.

IF this actually pans out I may have less sank into this, at least initially, than a car. (And I can burn alternative fuel). It's more or less being given to me if it happens. But of course there's practicality reality checks:

-Getting it (initially) from Port Townsend, WA to Sitka, AK, and, later, Fairbanks, AK: to drive the whole way or ship? From PT to Sitka I'd probably take the ferry from Bellingham either way. From the reading I've done, the 'recovery' road trip can either be a walk in the park or a total disaster. I've read stories of both.

-Insurance...how well does that go? Done a little reading on that but I imagine it's somewhat interesting.

-And, I might add, it would likely be a daily driver; but it would be a very practical one IMO with the hauling capacity, multifuel, cold-starting (It'll possibly have to endure 4 years of winters in Fairbanks, Alaska!) I'm sure I'm doing it somewhat strangely by jumping in with one as a first/only/daily driver vehicle, bur that hasn't scared me off (yet).

I'm probably moving to Fairbanks, AK for 4 years of college. I'd like to live off-campus. Cheapest rent in that city is about 400 a month for a "Dry Cabin", with no indoor plumbing and (probably) wood heat. Hauling a month's worth of firewood at a time would be really nice. Same for if I end up moving every six months, or helping friends move, and/or the perfect yardsale vehicle.

Things I could use advice on, though, are: (And I know I can search around on the site too):
-Block heater (Every car up there has an extension cord sticking out of the radiator grille, they're essential in the winter at -40F)

-Alternative fuels at such cold temperatures...or any fuel for that matter...the current owner and I were thinking I'd need to heat it somehow, especially if it was used motor oil or used vegetable oil

-Speaking of alternative fuels: Anyone have experience with successfully getting used oil from fast-food places? I'm thinking that could be a never-ending source. How about oil/transmission shops?

-And cold-weather operation, period: I bet those cabs would never get above freezing even with the added heater option in those temps.

-And how well do batteries do in terms of cranking amps at those temps?

And another biggie: I'd like to move back to California eventually and my understanding from reading here on SS is that California has some very strict emission laws; that by 2015 (now) any commercial trucks over a certain weight (forget exactly what at the moment) had to replace their engines with 2010-or-newer approved models. So goodbye multifuel option, right? How are they with driving into the state and then back out in less than, say, 90 days if it's not registered in California. Also, how about registering a Deuce for personal, drive-to-school-and-work-and-run-errands type use...would that get around the emission laws, especially in California?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice/suggestions; I'm a total newbie to this but have already learned a lot from this site and it's resources (TMs, etc).

theeDIZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site ! You have a lot of questions , I suggest you spend most of the upcoming year searching and reading any and everything you can using the search function . Good luck

elkhtr

Welcome from Washington.
There is a m/v gathering at the beginning of September at Fort Warden state park.
For the non locals this is within minutes of Port Townsend.
Good time to see your possible truck and meet some of the local greenheads.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see a lot of reading TMs in your future! Congrats on a possible Deuce acquisition, they are very good reliable trucks! I dont know your back ground on trucks in general but the main things your going to have to get familiar with are the engine, running gear and transmission/transfer case. Having a Deuce as with any diesel truck there are going to be things that HAVE to happen if your going to drive this truck every day. Read a lot on cold weather operations, there are a few of us on this site that live where it gets very cold and there are things that have to be done to the truck to insure its ability to operate in this area! Good luck and keep things in perspective concerning what you can realistically expect from an older diesel engine in sub-zero temps!
Keep us posted
KK

m109a2

Welcome little snot I mean 71DeuceAK.Lol I have a 71 M35a2w/w c and I love it.I was just kidding about the little snot I think it is cool that a young man likes old M.V.s over twice your aged.Good luck to you young man.Al

dmetalmiki

Welcome, and Yep, that is what the hobby needs alright, Both there in the U.S, and here in the U.K. New Blood. Well done keep up the interest, Read up, wise up and go get yourself a truck. You will have plenty of support and friendships.

71DeuceAK

Yeah I must admit I am excited already.

I've read California has strict laws about older diesel vehicles, do they apply to a private, nor for hire vehicle I use as a daily driver to run errands and commute to and from college and work?

I plan on keeping this truck stock except for a block heater, some way to heat up the cab, and maybe even a radio, I'd want that for sure.

71DeuceAK

OK, starting to figure out how much work this could be as well as what it may cost, etc. I know from what I've read on here that it ill-advised to just take off cross-country in a 40-odd year old truck which has sat dormant for an extended period, but if possible I think that's what I will do. Even breakdowns are part of the fun of a recovery trip.

I'm thinking I'll drive frome Port Townsend to Bellingham to get on the ferry so I don't have to drive through Canada. That will take me to Sitka, AK where it would either be my daily errand runner for a few months, or stashed at a friends house or something until I move to Fairbanks, AK for college, where it would also be my daily driver. I even plan to drive round trip between Fairbanks and Templeton, CA twice each year, on alternative fuel! And my commute to and from university may end up being an hour each way. So if I get the truck it will get a LOT of miles, between commuting, running errands, and driving cross country every few months.

I've run into a fwe other Deuce owners and/or enthusiasts by chance alone and that sure helps. In fact this Winter I'm going to try to visit some friends who have what I think is an M49 I have actually ridden in but thought nothing of at the time. Maybe they can teach me more about these trucks, including some drivers ed in one. (On the same vacation I might also drive a Geo in CA, so I get to learn in both large and small, stick shift vehicles!

Am I certifiably insane yet?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I drove my M109 to Maryland from Ohio, it sat for a long time too. I think you'd be ok.

Have you called to get ferry prices on such a large truck? Its $900 here in Ohio(Put-in-bay/kellys island). Just a heads up.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I'm not sure. A bar owner died and left it to his 4 sisters(none lived anywhere close to Cincinnati), so I had to haggle to get them to sell me the truck. It almost gave me an ulcer. When we went and looked at it, the master cyl was dry and we had to bleed the brakes. I did some pmcs and drove it to Aberdeen.

jeremy turgeon

welcome to the site i am in California and drive my m35a2c w/w every day. the smog laws from what i read in california as long as the truck is not being used for work and is a collector item you dont need to worry about it. driving one of these things everyday will bring problems but busting knuckles and getting dirty is all part of the fun. do alot of reading and get to know these trucks and they will be your best friend when you need them.im right out of los angeles if your ever in my area just send me a message and i could help you with anything you need. good luck and hope you get the truck

71DeuceAK

Interesting and duly noted! I intend to be in the SLO county but would love to eventually meet other members!

Soh does driving every day not count toward being work? Laws always have bizarre loopholes! And would personal use like hauling firewood or moving house count?

And thanks for the encouragement and suppport!

71DeuceAK

Update: He's still got it. Apparently someone called him about the truck about 2 weeks ago, talked him down to 400 bucks, then never called back. Current owner is going to take pictures and send them to me though, so I know what I'm getting into. Wish me luck! If I don't take it it may end up as scrap.