• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie Question

Christian

Hello all! This past week, I found an irresistible deal on a 1985 M1009, so I had no choice but to snatch it up. The only problem is with the starter. After reading the FAQ's, I found out that CUCV's are quite notorious for starter issues. Since you are all experts, I was hoping you could help to diagnose mine.
Everything seems to be in working order except when try to start the truck, you can hear the starter spinning, but it isn't engaging. I already tried tapping the starter (which quickly escalated to beating the crap out of the starter), to no avail.
Thanks a million!
Christian

marks86

Assuming you have proper voltage, Pull the starter out and bench test normally when the starter is just spinning it means it doesn't have enough power to push the gear out to make contact with the flexplate

markg

..... or you have no teeth left on the flex plate. common problem but not easy to fix. good luck. ive seen them so bad that you had to grab a belt and try and roll the motor over to a better spot, not easy with a diesel!!!!

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site.

Always start any electrical troubleshooting with a set of fully charged and load tested batteries. Don't assume anything. Check them.

Then start testing the starter.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You location needs to be listed as a single state, not all of them. Site requirement

As a 16 year old you might tell us what your skill sets are. Have you ever worked on diesels? Electrical systems? Know how to read a troubleshooting manual and wiring diagrams?

Last edited:

phil2968

Probably a bad Bendix. It's slipping. The motor does not turn until the solenoid has pulled the Bendix into the flywheel and makes the contacts at the end of it's stroke.