• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie Questions for M925A1

FarmerLee

I bet you'll find these questions a little naive, but I'm a newbie. I've read a lot, but I don't have a lot of experience. Never drove or worked on diesel, Never drove automatic trans. Never drove or worked on air brakes. In any event, I just looked at an M925A1 and had a couple of issues. I started the truck and let it warm up for 5-7 minutes in 35 degree temperature. Neither the engine coolant nor the transmission oil temp gauges moved even a breath. Both reservoirs were topped off. Is it usual to take that long to get a reading or am I dealing with bad gauges or a circulation problem? Second, the truck had an engine oil temperaure gauge. I thought it was supposed to have an engine oil pressure gauge. How am I supposed to insure that the pressure is at least 15 psi, like the manual suggests? Third, from what I read, the air cleaner indicator was supposed to be a red/green, go/no go indicator. Instead, this truck had a cylinder with a piston that moved from 0% to 25% (and i think it was measuring oxygen content). It barely got off the bottom of the cylinder and high school science taught me that air has a 21% oxygen content. Does this imply that the indicator is faulty (it's the newest looking part of the truck) or that the air filter is clogged. Any help is necessary, because if I buy this truck, I've got a 300 mile ride back to the farm (in crappy Midwest winter). Thanks, guys.

Scott88M

In cold weather it'll take a lot longer than 5-7 mins to heat up. If you need it to get warmer for the heat to pump in the cab throw a good size piece of cardboard in front of the radiator like a tractor trailer. Not sure about oil temp gauge it's possible it was installed in the wrong hole and the label isn't right possibly? And you're over thinking the oxygen gauge. It measures restriction. You want the yellow part to be low in the glass higher it is more restriction dirtier the filter.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
At idle you will not see the temp. gauges move, you will need to get it on the road and drive a little then they should start coming up.
It should have a oil pressure gauge and on the air intake thing???
Can you post some picks of the gauges and air indicator?

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have an M936A2 that reads about 25% up on the filter minder (after driving) just due to the restriction of the mushroom cap on top of the intake stack. The air filter is new and clean.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M939 Oil Pressure indicator is between the Fuel Quantity indicator and the Transmission Oil Temp indicator. Engine coolent Temp indicator is above the Trans Oil Temp. Primary and Secondary Air Pressure indicators are the far right top and bottom indicators. Truck will take a very long time to warm up idling in 35 degree temps. Need to get it up to speed to get water temp up. Trans Oil temp will take longer with no load. DO NOT trust the fuel quantity indicator.

FarmerLee

Thanks guys. You've been very helpful. Wish I had taken pictures now. I'd swear it was an oil temperature gauge right where Scar59 says an oil pressure gauge should be.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks guys. You've been very helpful. Wish I had taken pictures now. I'd swear it was an oil temperature gauge right where Scar59 says an oil pressure gauge should be.
Lee,
Google "M939 Instrument cluster" or "M939 Dash Gages" and look at the images. It will come back to you. The first time you sit in one of these monsters and it's idling, your mind is racing trying to take it all in and trying to figure how to get this monster home, and what am I going to tell my wife, and where am I going to parts for it, and what kind of mileage does this thing get? We have all been there.
JC

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks