• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie saying hello to all...

Asmoday

and a very big thanks in advance...! I'm new to these forums and will be trolling this forum quite a bit in order to educate myself as much as possible before I pick up my first M1009.

I currently have a 87 Blazer which is gasoline powered and quite nice with the exception of paint which I have had for many many years but since I pretty much have an unlimited supply of free Jet A do to my occupation, I have decided that I want to go over to diesel land...:) I had pondered doing a diesel conversion but as I'm in Southern California and it's such a pain in the ass to deal with the DMV and such I feel it's just too much trouble and definitely not cost effective.

So now I start my search for a M1009 subject for restoration. This will become my daily driver to the airport. If there are any members who are local to the Los Angeles/ So Cal area who have M1009's and can offer advice it would be very much appreciated.

Hopefully I can find one realistically priced that's already a driver and relatively rust free....LOL. At least I can dream....:)

Thanks again for all the awesome past and future posts...!

Adam

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard from Illinois! Lots of good info on here and even more good people! Enjoy the search, it's just the start of a long, "Love/Hate" relationship! LOL Good hunting!
God bless,

Tony:)

Asmoday

Wow..So many welcomes already...very cool...! Thank you....

Cucvnut

Been to 100dollarman.com ...:) I will definitely be checking with them as I get together a little more money to hopefully find a better grade M1009. All the ones I have found locally so far are way overpriced and I don't trust the 12V conversions on them. Besides I want the 24V system. I have already registered with GL all though I will need to learn a lot on how to get one into California and legally register it. My problem will be getting over to where ever the auction is to do an inspection since it seems most are far far away...LOL. I may have to call on members to help me out...:)

Last edited:

idM1028

Welcome from Nebraska. Keep an eye on this place too: gsaauctions.gov. They've also got all the fun stuff the U.S. Marshall Service "acquires" :grin: I've noticed the government auction side fluctuates a bit in regards to trucks. Its kinda like playing country wide whack-a-mole. Case in point, GSA's got more M1008's than you can shake a stick at in Montana right now. A week from now it'll be the same thing somewhere else.

Asmoday

Good advice from all...Thanks.

I definitely will go look at the possibles on GL if it's local. I just have a distinct feeling that I will have very stiff competition on any local auctions here in Cali as all the ones I'm seeing are already overpriced based on their condition. I have learned this thanks to this great forum or I would have already been stung...:)

I have seen some nice possibles listed but they're all so far away...LOL.

I'm in no hurry though so I will take my time and find a nice subject. I'm planning on transferring items from my gas powered K5 to the M1009 such as certain suspension upgrades, wheels, possibly the shell with the sliding windows, etc. and then selling off the gas powered chassis.

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How much is overpriced ? Just wondering as I'll be putting mine up for sale soon...I want to be able to pass the giggle test but not give it away either.