• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie scared to pull the trigger

Jcrush

Hey Guys,

I'm new here and was hoping to get some peace of mind. I've always wanted to own a 2 dr full size blazer. My dad had a few when I was growing up and I've always wanted to pick one up. To be totally honest, I never thought I'd have the chance this quick.
I totalled my daily driver in an accident in New Orleans, LA. I work down in N.O. and commute to my home in a little town called prairieville, just south of Baton Rouge. That's where the meat of my "issues" come from.

I've read a good bit already on the forum concerning M1009's but I need to ask a few questions. I've found one in town from a private seller who is dumping one that seems to be in good shape. it's an '85 M1009 with just over 35k. He's had $4975.00 on it for the better part of a year. We've been talking back and forth and I think I found his selling bottom price of $3750.00. Real nice guy, loves his trucks, has evidently moved on to a new toy(amazing vintage landcruiser). I know this price seems a little steeper than those that I've seen here on the forum but it's in pretty good shape. He's also put new 33" tires on it.

My main concern is the daily driver aspect of an M1009. I've read several threads but my situation seems unique. I run a 72 mile one way commute down to N.O. and I'd say 80% of that run is interstate. I've read several of you say that the cruising speed is 70-75 and that you're getting 20+ mpg. But is that common/true for that long on the interstate. Will 50+ miles one way of 70-75 miles an hour drive me deaf and blow my engine quickly. I've not owned a diesel but the thought of a 35k mi. diesel that could run, basically, forever in vehicle terms really intrigues me as opposed to the 150k mi. gas burner trucks that I've been reduced to look at due to my totalled vehicle insurance check.

On paper, it's a perfect vehicle. Something I've always wanted, An engine that could run longer that any gas burner I'd pick up, and a truck that is just freakin' cool. I'm a shade tree mechanic at best so I'm somewhat capable but I gotta tell you, I'm hesitant to pull the trigger. I test drove it and it started to "wallow" and I though, Oh, I better slow down. I looked down and I was going 35 mph. made me laugh. Seller recommended that I immediately put billsteins underneath it but I'd like to gird the front end up as well along with hitting the recommendations that you guys have outlined in the FAQ and other newbie posts.

If anyone is still reading, could you speak a little towards the massive amount of interstate driving I'm looking at and the money and time it would take to rework the front suspension components. I love the idea of owning the truck but I worry a ton about the time/money it might take to keep it as a daily driver.

Thanks to any who could offer advice.
Jake

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
$3750 is high. They are loud vehicles. Better tires and some soundproofing will quiet them a bit. They do get good gas mileage though. I think 70-75 is high too. I would not pay over 3K for any stock M1009. By the way I know of 2 under 2500 in GA:roll:

Sumoman

If it makes you happy, and you have another driver in case you are shade tree working on the MV then go for it. You may find another somewhere else, might not. It took 2 years for me to find something I liked, could afford, and actually won on an auction.

Good Luck

rod

Jake,

Here is my 2 cents worth.

I personally would not want to drive my M1009 on a 144 mile roundtrip commute every day. The reasons being: the M1009 will be loud so you will have to wear earplugs or you will be deaf. The M1009 does not have any real comforts for the daily grind. Also you are in South Louisiane, it gets really hot in the summer and you will not have airconditoning.

My comments are based on the fact that I have been where you are, I made a 120 mile a day round trip for 16 1/2 years and the trip gets old. I would not recommend the M1009 for this commute. I am not saying that the M1009 couldn't handle it, but am rather basing my comments on the daily gring of such a long trip.

There will be guys here who will tell you that you will be great in the M1009. I suspect that most of the guys really havn't made that long commute for any length of time.

Buy a small 4 cyl car or pickup which will be dependable. Save your money and buy a M1009 for your pleasure driving.

My 2 cents worth...........

roscoe

Life goes by fast. Try one out. You don't have to drive it everyday -- just when you want to ride in something COOL and unique. Being loud with no AC or other creature comforts will weed out the pretenders and set you apart.:-D

realm

I bought an M1009 for a second play vehicle because I wanted it for same reasons... love the old Blazers. The mil look and tow points etc. attracted me all more.

This truck is NOT a daily driver IMO. I added sound insulation (3 layers) to the floor, some jute insulation on top of that, and finally a vinyl floor. I can tell you even after all that I still couldn't drive this truck daily. I would go deaf, and I'd never get where I need to get.

If you want a daily driver, I would recommend buying something civilian. I don't think you'll be happy, and for that price you can find a civy Blazer that is quieter, has a better top speed, and won't make you go deaf.

CUCV is a great play toy, but not a nice primary driver unless you get a great deal and are super desperate.

With that said, if the CUCV is in near perfect shape, needs no paintjob, only has 35K miles on it, and has new 33" tires on it all around, then while high, the price isn't outrageous. New 33" tires would run ya $700+ easily.

MuddWeiser

Just to throw out my real world experience... I bought my 85 M1009 (CUCV) in 2007. I drive it EVERYDAY. It has been a very reliable vehicle. I got mine with 71k miles. It needed a starter when I bought it, and in winter 2007 I replaced the Radiator, and in 2008 I had to replace a generator.

I have it bone stock, in the winter I run 29 x 10.50 x 15 studded snow tires, in the summer I run 31 x 10.50 x 15 interco Trxus MT.

I have a daily commute to work that is 35 mins each way... first 10 minutes are around town, and 25 mins on the highway. Highway speed limit is 55mph but I cruise around 60-65mph.

I have also had several 180 mile trips to visit my parents who live south of me. Its a 3hr drive each way...

The truck is NOT loud as in hurt your ears loud... I have had several other cars, and comparativley speaking it IS louder... The newer cars have sound deadening materials all over the place and when you close the door they are "quiet"... The CUCV has a noisy motor, but once you shut the windows and start driving it is NOT uncomfortable.

THE VEHICLE IS A GREAT CANDIDATE FOR A DAILY DRIVER OUT OF ALL THE MVs... Certainly I wouldn't reccomend the duece as a daily driver, but the CUCV M1009 is a perfect candidate.

Parts are easy to find if you ask around here for the proper part #'s...

I would say buy it if you can afford it. $3500 is a tad high, but if it is in as good a shape as you say, I would say its a "fair" deal...

We frequently see these sell for $1700 - 2800 on GovLiquidation, so $3500 is not that far off. Maybe see if you can get it for $3000. W/ 35k miles that seems like a good deal.

I USE MY TRUCK EVERYDAY, IT IS MY ONLY CAR. I LOVE IT.

feel free to send me a e-mail or PM if you have more questions... im in a hurry right now - but I say its a great truck.

Jcrush

thanks

Appreciate the feedback guys.
So much of what y'all have pointed out just reinforces the main concerns I have with picking up the vehicle.

Thanks again,
Jake

realm

Oh and something else to consider if you're single...

If you're in your teens or early 20's... a cucv is probably fine for picking up chicks, especially if you throw a little lift on there.

If you're in your late 20's like me... the CUCV isn't going to get you a touchdown. My girlfriend didn't even want to ride in it at first. :razz:

bkwudzhom

Try getting a small 4 cyl beater honda for the regular commute. This will get you to work in comfort and still cheaper on gas. In the mean time pick up a 1009 for fun and drive it once or twice a week and you would have something to drive as you make any modifications!

YellowHammer

I've had mine for a couple of months now and I've got to tell you, I'm in love with the thing. I can't speak with as much authority as those who've owned them for much longer, but I wouldn't hesitate to drive mine anywhere. I've already made 2 trips to my farmhouse down in Alabama(400 miles each way) and a trip up to my Dad's place in Charlotte, NC(180 miles) Not a single hiccup out of it.

Mine drives as smooth as glass and I get about 22mpg@60mph and just shy of 19mpg@70mph. Is it loud? Yes. Is it hot? Yes. (but manageable as long as you're moving) It would be hell to have to sit in traffic in it a lot in southern LA.
I would agree that you'd likely be better off getting a little economy beater with a/c for the commute. But if you want to make the jump, you could well manage it.

I envision a scenario where you may need to have some kind of appointment(i.e. job interview, doctor's visit, hot date ect...) where you'd hate to have to drive in 97 degree temps on the way there and be Mr. Stinky when you arrive.

Just my thoughts.

Oh. BTW. Chiks dig it! I've had more women approach me and comment on the truck than I've had in years. My wife wasn't thrilled when I first got it and now she insists on taking it out so she and her girlfriends can go riding in it. I say again: Chiks dig it!!

Last edited:

Opie

I envision a scenario where you may need to have some kind of appointment(i.e. job interview, doctor's visit, hot date ect...) where you'd hate to have to drive in 97 degree temps on the way there and be Mr. Stinky when you arrive.
I DID have to take the shop van to a dentist's appointment once. Had to park it in the Japanese restaurant's lot next door, though. (Fortunately they weren't open at the time.)

davidkroberts

I dont think any military vehicle is particularly suited for being a daily driver. That being said the CUCV is probably the best suited for it. If your a bit gunshy about owning a MV dont be. Its just a truck only green.

ClockworkSkin

I had to relocate 2 hours away from home. I make the trip home frequently in my 1009. It handles the drive well. The noise isn't bad, just noisy. My truck got upgraded to daily driver status when my Jetta TDI stopped working this winter (garbage car). Since then the 1009 has been a champ. Like others have stated the one drawback is the lack of convenience items (A/C, radio, etc) which would undoubtably start to get to you after a while.

JeepGirl

Get a good pair of earbud headphones or ear plugs, or you might not be able to hear when you get it home! Otherwise have fun.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I had one as a daily driver that I was doing an 65 mile trip each day (130 mile round trip) for 6 months and yes they are loud, yes at high speed they can suck fuel, and no they don't have A/C.

It got me there each day except for the master cylinder that blew and allowed me to meet the person in front of me on not so happy terms.

The tan one I had was for some reason much more quiet than any other blazer I've ridden in. A good exhaust system, some sound reducing mats, and other tweeks could substantially reduce the sound without reducing the military looks.

littlebob

I' d love to have one for fun just like the Deuce, Daily driver I want a 3K Honda or Toyota with over 110K miles that gets over 30 MPG on the highway. A M1009 is a going to have problems not associated with milage, but age.

Pawnshop

Loud? You guys must drive Cadillacs. I have put over 2500 miles on my M1009 in the last two months including the 400 mile trip home from OKC, and I use it as my daily driver (but a normal day for me is only about 25 miles). My M1009 is the most comfortable vehicle to drive on long trips that I have ever owned (2 VW Type 1s, '76 Ramcharger, '82 S10, 2 '95 F-150s, '95 Astro van). No AC can be an issue, (I hope you don't have a "suit & tie" job), I drove mine to a funeral the other day and enjoyed the fact that it stood out in the crowd. Loud, that is a stretch, hearing protection is NOT required. That said, if I had to drive 700+ miles a week I would be looking for a cheap Honda gas sipper and use the CUCV for everything else.