• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie that needs advice.

radbaddad

Hello and thanks for the add. I recently purchased this 85 m1008 or k30. I know there are differences. This truck has been sitting for about 15 years now and I simply would love a little advice on where to start? Obviously batteries is first on my list. Can anyone recommend where to go from there? My top priority is to make it run / drive. Will I / should I drain all old fuel before attempting to fire it up? m1008.jpg

fasttruck

Change all the fluids, inspect the tires carefully for faults such as dry rot or checking. Get and read the pubs: operator's manual, organizational maintenance manual, parts book, lubrication order. These are available on line or in paper at swap meets. Lubricate everything: hinges, door latches, tail gate latch, etc. Check lube order for "oil can points."

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you heard it run yet? Does the engine turn over by hand? Are there rats in the air intake or exhaust system? Can we isolate the fuel tank by running a clean fuel source to see if the engine will run?

Do we know when it ran last?

Is it likely that the truck needs some diagnostics before you dump a bunch of money into it?

I'm not a mechanic so I just ask a bunch of questions.

cucvrus

First thing is check all the fluids. Antifreeze becomes very acidic sitting around that long. I would check all fluids. Make sure all the battery cables are clean and attached to a starter. After that I would get 2 group 31 batteries. I have a source to borrow them. It will more than likely crank and possibly start. It has been my luck with finding them setting for a long time. The Birds and mice in the exhaust went bye bye on the first start. No harm in trying. Next why was it left set? I would evaluate everything after the engine is running. Keep in mind acidic antifreeze eats expensive parts. Radiators, head gaskets, and seals. After that you need to look closely at everything as you drain the fluids. Transmission pan has a magnet as do both differential covers and the oil pan drain plug. Check them out before you proceed. How far do you want to get buried I this truck. if it is all good with you and you have the extra cash. Go for it. Get the paint taken care of after any mechanical issues. I hope you know something about these trucks. If you want someone else to do it that can get costly. I am in Pennsylvania also. I do work on these if you ever need any and want to farm it out. Keep in touch and post your findings. Setting 15 years undisturbed don't scare me as mush as sitting at someone's house that thinks they are a mechanic and starts cutting wires and trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear. Good Luck. Be Safe.

cucvrus

I found this useful. I started a Kubota L35 back hoe that sat for 12 years in the field at a local farm. Bad starter was the reason it was abandoned. Runs great again after some TLC. needed an alternator also and broke a few hydraulic lines since the resurrection. But I think all is well as long as it ran when parked. Good Luck. Anxious to hear your results.

MarcusOReallyus

All good advice above, but here's one more bit:

It's not a 1985. It doesn't matter when it was made, it's a 1984. The Army didn't want the logistics nightmare of trying to keep track of GM's yearly changes, so they specified that all models were to use 1984 parts. So don't go looking for 1985 K30 parts. They might work, and they might not. At a parts store, always ask for 1984 K30 parts.

Download the TMs. Get used to them. They are gold.

bobdole4me

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All good advice above, but here's one more bit:

It's not a 1985. It doesn't matter when it was made, it's a 1984. The Army didn't want the logistics nightmare of trying to keep track of GM's yearly changes, so they specified that all models were to use 1984 parts. So don't go looking for 1985 K30 parts. They might work, and they might not. At a parts store, always ask for 1984 K30 parts.

Download the TMs. Get used to them. They are gold.
Phenomenal advice! I would suggest reviewing the TMs also and take a glance at the PS magazine archive. I always found useful advice scheming through the issues. An example of ensuring connectors are not loose is attached from issue 513. (Source: http://psmag.radionerds.com/images/5/56/PS_Magazine_Issue_513_August_1995.pdf)

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks