• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie Tire Change Help

cg25713

I just took apart the wheel and here are some pics.

IMG_0082.jpg
IMG_0083.jpg
IMG_0085.jpg
IMG_0088.jpg
IMG_0086.jpg

Bolts backed off. Alignment holes. O-Ring in grove. O-ring came out when I took off the top so could not see any issues. Closeup of O-ring at run flat valve cut out. Last is bottom of outside half of wheel.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know if you did anything wrong per se.

Place ring in freezer, hold in place to lower half with some rubber cement or silicon adhesive and tighten bolts slowly, opposite bolts 2 at a time.

Best,

T

cg25713

I just took apart the wheel and here are some pics. Does anything look wrong? Bolts are 1/2"-20 btw.

IMG_0082.jpg
Bolts backed off.

IMG_0083.jpg
Alignment holes.

IMG_0085.jpg
O-ring put back in place. It moved while removing outside half of wheel so I could not see any issues.

IMG_0088.jpg
Closeup of O-ring at valve cut out on run flat.

IMG_0086.jpg
Bottom of outside half of wheel.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You should read old posts to this and other H1 and HMMWV forums like G503.

Seating the "O" rings is sometimes frustrating.

cg25713

Thanks Doc. I feel like I read everything on tire changes on the internet including on G503. I researched it for a week and now likely have 10+ hours of my own labor into one tire change. It seems the wheels were just not designed to replace the tire - especially in the field.

Without people like you, Action and all the others that helped me - I'd be lost. As an aside - I'm sure with this photo alone I have graduated from newbie status. Most difficult thing I've attempted in a while. Took several hours. Look what you got me into.

IMG_0069.jpg

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Assuming you’re not too far away, I am happy to go visit you and try to help this weekend. I’m in Brooklyn. I will of course need you to PM an address and tele number.

Let’s remember that since 2017 tons of people here helped and still help me and each other. Just pass it forward my friend.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just spoke to the original poster.

He has been trying to fit the tire however has not been supporting the inner rim on top of a 5 gallon bucket or any type of support structure so he has been fighting the tire and he has been fighting the beadlock. When the tire sits on the ground, the tire rubber elasticity pushes the inner rim apart from the outer rim and makes setting the O-ring that much more difficult.

It is my suggestion that the inner half of the rim be supported on top of a 5 gallon bucket. Then the tire with the runflat gets placed over this, so that gravity pulls the tire down and out of the way of the outer half of the rim. Then he can tighten the bolts down to finger tightness and then use to ratchets to tighten bolts that are 180° apart, then 90° apart from that, and so on.

cg25713

Here is what the above suggestion looks like. It seems promising but I'm not sure it will keep the wheel still as the bolts go lower. FYI - these bolts only turn 1 or 2 times by hand, even with fully greased thread. I will let you all know how it goes.

IMG_0089.jpgIMG_0091.jpg

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The last set of rims I did were 24 bolt, I purchased a full set of new grade 8 flanged locking nuts and 24 grade 8 flanged non locking nuts, I was installing new tires and bead locks, no run flats, I would just run all the non locking nuts down a little at a time with a rotating cross pattern, it was much too tight to use just 2 nuts, would have distorted the rim for sure, did 5 of them this way with no glue or silicone, after I got the nuts tight I tested the rim for leaks then blew them down and replaced all the nuts in two passes with the new locking nuts, replacing every other one each pass and torquing them down, had no issues with any of them and about 4 months later they are all within 3-4 lb of each other

Action

Here is what the above suggestion looks like. It seems promising but I'm not sure it will keep the wheel still as the bolts go lower. FYI - these bolts only turn 1 or 2 times by hand, even with fully greased thread. I will let you all know how it goes.
why are you greasing the studs? Dont freeze your o-ring (in pic). Freezing will shrink it. Snd, is it just me or does that o-ring look thin?

Action

It looks like you are installing the nuts with an impact gun. If you do that on the first bolts, you may be shaking the o-ring around. I do 24-bolters with a 1/2” drive ratchet and a short breaker bar.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
why are you greasing the studs? Dont freeze your o-ring (in pic). Freezing will shrink it. Snd, is it just me or does that o-ring look thin?
Several posts on G503 and elsewhere talk about freezing the “O” rings as they stay in place better my friend.

Action

Several posts on G503 and elsewhere talk about freezing the “O” rings as they stay in place better my friend.
i froze mine last 2 because they were slighly bigger than the groove. The OP posted a pic of his on the wheel. Itdoesnt look big enough to reach the groove. If he freezes his, it will be even smaller.

Edis06

When an impact gun is used to install the nuts, it will distort the threads in the nut. Then, they can be very difficult to remove. New OEM nuts will spin on and off easily when you install and torque by hand.
You are absolutely correct. I pulled my wheels off many times by hand and once broken free, they would spin off. Once I had my "new" tires installed by a bunch of monkeys with impact guns, I now struggle with the lugs from the tip all the way down. Did I mention they broke 3 of them off?

DO NOT USE IMPACT WRENCHES ON THE HMMWV.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i froze mine last 2 because they were slighly bigger than the groove. The OP posted a pic of his on the wheel. Itdoesnt look big enough to reach the groove. If he freezes his, it will be even smaller.
I defer to your more extensive experience.

👍

cg25713

The red o-ring I tried that did not seal the wheel is 3/16" part #12460338 from hummerpartsguy.

The original o-ring in the wheel was black and although compressed into a triangular shape, measured 1/4" wide.

I'm going to try o-ring part #12342633 which I believe is 1/4". I should get it today and will report my findings with pictures here. Hopefully this might be helpful to others in the future.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks