• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie to Steel Soldiers

Josh429er

Hi, Ive been referred to this site numerous times now, and after reading a couple threads I see why.

I'm interested in this vehicle(M35A2) because there are cheap, and parts are cheap. I would think they are extremely capable however the engines seem very underpowered. I like the idea of having a truck that cant be stopped, and can be taken anywhere.

I know you guys probably get this alot but my main concerns are:

More power-I am very familiar with diesels, and there incredible potential for performance improfments. The weak link I would guess would be head gasket, internals, and engine block.

Is there a popular engine swap? Cummins? I didn't see any in research.

Practicality-I would most likely wind up daily driving something like this in a couple years if my research keeps heading in the good direction its in. I can, and do work on everything I own. being a completley mechanical truck is cool, I do live with others so going to grocery stoor or drive through isn't to much an issue. But parking? driving to work? Driving through town? fuel Mileage? Wear and tear? My family and friends plan to move northern to the mountains and rural areas. I want to be able to drive eveywhere and do it reliably.

I know I'm forgetting stuff, but I hope some of you experienced Duece owners can chime in and tell me whats it like? Does anyone use this massive Steel Soldier as primary transportation?

Thanks for your time!

Reckless

Turning up the fuel provides a good deal more power to these trucks, but it is recommended (and very wise) to add a pyrometer to make sure you EGTs don't get above 1300. Turning up the fuel can make that happen very quickly.

As for daily driving it and practicality, bobbing the deuce may be a thought as it is shorter, turning radius is smaller, etc. I like bobbed or stock, it just depends on your needs/wants.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Welcome to the Green Iron Laughing Accademy.:cookoo:

The duece was designed to move various types of cargo over all types of terrain while being driven by unmotivated 19 year olds that could care less about maintainence or tearing them up. They were cheap to build and operate and fairly easy to maintain with basic tools.

They are good for that and can be used for other purposes if you give them the love they deserve and stay within their limits. Making one into a daily driver is for those who enjoy pain. They tend to be cold and wet in the winter and hotter than blazes in the summer. They ride like an oxcart and are loud.

That being said I have owned many dueces but have moved up to the 5 ton club for several reasons. I put a lot of miles on them while in the Army and they always bring back fond (and not so fond) memories of my misspent youth.

You can't gold plate a turd (well you can but you just have an expensive turd).

Just the voice of experience speaking (or one of the voices in my head).

Good luck.

Woodsplinter

Several members here use a deuce for a daily driver but here are some things to think about:

The turning radius is huge- parking in a parking lot is difficult. When I take mine out there are some places I can't go because of parking limitations.

Adding power steering will be an enormous benefit.

Mileage: generally around 10 mpg.

It's slow, no matter what you do to it. Time accelerating across an intersection is measured with a calendar.

Noisy, hot in summer, cold in winter though most have a cab heater.

Keep in mind it was designed as a slow, off road cargo/ personnel carrier. It is very "heavy duty".

The "cool" factor is excellent! I love mine.

Flyingvan911

Welcome from KC. WM is right. The deuce is lots of fun but sucks as a daily driver. (Especially in a city.) The deuce does it's job well. It was made to go almost anywhere but not quickly. It's power comes from low gearing at low speeds. It can pull the moon aroud the Earth at 1 mph. I love mine. It has an LDS with about 185 horsepower stock.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi and welcome to our craziness!

Many of us started with the deuce for the exact reasons you mention. But do yourself a favor and drive a few of them and a few of the M939 series 5 ton trucks before laying down the cash. For a daily driver, the 5 ton is much easier and won't dampen the joy quite so fast!

Rick

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Once I retire, mine will be my DORD (daily off road driver). Currently, that is limited to 1-2 times per week due to work getting in the way.

Josh429er

I own a Duramax now. It's cold in winter, nice in summer, harder on the wallet than this it seems. But gets twice the fuel mileage.

I did see the Cummins swap thread earlier. It's intriguing for sure.

Im curious tho, how is the 5 ton easier? Isn't it bigger and worse on mileage?

Truth be told I don't need something that big, my truck does fine.

But my truck isn't manual
My truck isn't as reliable
When ever something breaks.....It's $1000

I'll definitely try and take a couple for a spin, and see what you guys mean. I just think a 5 ton is just adding to how much of an overkill it would be Haha.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it were not for the fuel costs I would have no problem with a 939 as a daily driver. I like the ride, the room, power steering, ABS and the automatic.

Now a Deuce, no way would I drive it to work although I do like the idea of not slowing down for deer but you get that with either truck.

Josh429er

This is the funniest forum I've ever been on. I like the authority my truck has already I wonder what a vehicle that big would be like.

I'm open to many vehicle options It's gotta be atleast a 3/4 ton and diesel and regularly available. I have to look up a 939 now lol.

tow2gunner

Nice document. I actually like driving my m923a2 better than my BMW! Fuel is definatley a cost factor (I am avg about 7MPG) - other things like - how the #$%^ do I change that flat tire!! (happened in the parking lot at work!!).
A fun vehicle - planning on sneaking a second one home eventually... hopefully the wife doesn't notice... already got a trailer (m200a1) had that home for 3 days before it was "discovered"....

Josh429er

That was a great read. I'm not turned of by the maintenance, because my truck now is very maintenance oriented also. With fluids being the most expensive.

The big thing being fuel economy right now, which should improve if some modifications are made. I think I will get one but I'm not gonna rush into it.

I'm impressed with how much everyone loves there vehicle. I mean this the forum for it. But i half expected everyone to say It's nice but It's not fun to drive and a burden to own.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The 900 series trucks with the 8.3 Cummins are a little better on fuel but you are talking about a vehicle with the aerodynamics of a concrete block and low gearing. I have visions of a 900 series bobber with a 5th wheel to haul my van trailer around (I just bought a M923 with that in mind). Since I have a buddy with a set of air ride axles for sale I'm leaning toward that option and selling the M927.

zout

I like the idea of the older units with single brake system master cylinder when folks turn them up to go faster.

When you go to buy one - choose wisely

paradeduty

Am I sensing a touch of sarcasm there, Zout???

You're just no fun at all - where is your sense of adventure?

You know that driving on todays roads in general now days is a gamble anyways!

Just kidding - But in all seriousness, the heavier/larger the vehicle the more white knuckles you can get from today's "distracted/idiot" drivers.

I know, I know - everyone wants to say that their truck will "just go over them" - but in all reality, you probably don't want that either, really.

But although it is a lot of responsibility, it is worth the thrill of driving these overly capable AMERICAN MADE trucks!

Dave

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks