• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie with an M-100

mark02tj

My first post on SteelSoldiers.com! From reading some of these threads, I'm pretty sure I'll get quality advice from you guys!

I picked up an M-100 a week or so ago. The dataplate says it's model 73-1000, but after doing a little research I'm pretty sure that it's an M-100. I've uploaded some pics for your viewing pleasure! It has a delivery date of 7-51.

Of course I have a bunch of question so here they are in no particular order of importance...

1) Are these older trailers more valuable than the newer M-416 trailers? I think I got a pretty decent deal on this even though it's kind of rough.

2) Right now it has some 15" Ford wheels the PO put on. The wheels in the bed of the trailer in one of the pics are 16" wheels the PO claims are the originals. It needs new tires. I'm debating whether to keep the 16" wheels and go with a narrow tire (7x16?) or go with different wheels and tires that more closely match my Jeep. Opinions? One of the attached pics shows a "military tire" that I found on CraigsList. Does that diamond tread pattern look military?

3) One of the wheel bearings is loose. How hard are replacement bearings to find? Or should I plan on replacing the axle with a new one that has easy to find bearings?

4) Obviously the tub and frame need blasted. Does the tub on these trailers unbolt from the frame or is it welded on? What's the best way to remove the tub from the frame?

5) Is there a good parts source for these old trailers? I know I'm going to need parts. Right now the brake handle mechanism seems to be rusted and I think the stand on the front of the trailer is too (right now I have a jackstand under the lunette).

6) I'd like to keep the old military lights on the trailer but they will need converted to 12V. Is there anything other than changing the bulbs to make the lights work in a 12V system? (Probably a dumb question! :-?)

7) On the subject of electrical, It would be pretty cool to keep the old wiring harness but the receptacle on on the trailer seems pretty rusted and I'll need one on the Jeep. Is it worth it to keep this original or should I just replace the wiring with something that works with a standard 4 wire plug?

8) And, finally, here's the question that will probably elicit a lot of "it's your trailer, do what you want with it" answers.... When fixing up this trailer (I'm purposely avoiding the word "restoring") should I respect it's military heritage or make it more to match my Jeep? Ultimately I want a functional trailer - something to use to haul stuff around the house as well as to take on camping/wheeling trips in my Jeep. I think it would look good either way but I'm wondering how it would be worth more when I'm done with it.

8-a) On the subject of fixing it up - I'm wondering about the fenders. It looks like the rounded fenders are bolted to the tub. I like the look of the flat fenders (like on the M-416) better. Would it be a blasphemous act to fab up my own fenders on this trailer?

THANKS in advance for what I'm hoping is some good direction to take on getting this trailer back to a useful life.

Attachments

mark02tj

THANKS for the link! I'll look there for ideas.

I paid $150 for it. Hopefully that's not too much. It's pretty solid although along the bottom of the front and rear of the tub there is enough rust where it's rusted through. A buddy of mine that's an award winning classic Porsche restorer is going to take a look at the trailer for me on Saturday. I think he'll have some tips on fixing the rust.

Haven't decided yet whether to keep it red or leave the green. See question #8. :) I'm open to suggestions and would like to hear some opinions.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I paid a lot more than $150 for a lot less in terms of condition. You got a great deal there any way you cut it.

harleyhouse

$150 is a steal. I have seen them sell between $200 and $1800 depending on condition.
Having a restorer as a friend is a big help. sand blasting and painting cost big money when you have someone else do the work.

I have a 101A2 and love it. I did change it a Little.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/trailers/82301-rebuilding-my-m101a2-harleyhouse.html

There are some awesome little trailers out there.
Just search the net or Expo for ideas.

Keep us posted on the progress.

Danger Ranger

Ok, I know nothing on these little trailers, but I can tell you that if you do it up to match your jeep (wheels, tires, paint, etc.) it will be worth more to you than anyone else, because it would be a redone trailer that matches almost no one else's vehicle except yours. As you stated: It's your trailer and you may do with it as you wish.

The diamond tread tire you show above is not military, or at least I don't believe it is. I have never seen them on any MVs, and we have had several on antique tractors. I see them more on the tractors and sometimes old trucks, rather than the military stuff.

Good luck on your project. :)

Scrounge41

The TM is here:http://test.steelsoldiers.com/upload/trailer/TM9-2330-201-14.pdf. Like you said, it's your trailer, so do what you want. My opinion is that everything you are considering is reversible (ie:wiring, tires/rims) except for modifying the fenders. If you were to go back to the 16" rims which are correct, the downward angle to the tongue would be even worse. You may want to consider an adjustable height hitch on the jeep to make the trailer ride more level, but it may interfere with the tailgate or spare tire operation. Some of those adjustable hitches are weak, but I wouldn't expect you to be carrying anything that would torque it too bad with that rig. I think you did real well on the price. Mine was missing the box on the front of the bed. It had also been modified by a fire agency to a conventional coupler vs. a lunette. Good luck.

mark02tj

THANKS everyone for your responses!!

Harleyhouse - I really like your 101A2!! I live pretty close to WPAFB which has a government liquidators "outlet". They have a handful of 3/4 ton trailers out there right now that go up for auction next week. I really like those bigger trailers but at 1300 pounds or so empty, that's pushing it for my Jeep to handle - especially with the 3.07 gears that I currently have!! The M100 tows great and it's hard to tell that it's back there. Thanks for the all of the links. Of course I spent time this afternoon looking at some of them instead of working. :beer:

Scrounge - the pics with the trailer behind my Jeep are a little deceptive. I didn't have a pintle with me when I bought the trailer but talked the seller out of one. Unfortunately he didn't have the male part of the receiver for it so we rigged up the pintle on the bottom of my steel bumper. So, in the pics it's pretty low. I've since bought an adjustable male and bolted the pintle to the highest position so it sits in a pretty good angle now. You're right though - it does interfere with opening my tailgate with the spare mounted the way it is. The Jeep will be getting lifted a little more in the fairly near future too. Right now I just have 2" spacers in the springs, but I'm going to a 3" spring and regearing my axles after which I'll be running 33" tires instead of the 30" tires that are on it now. That will definitely affect the angle of the trailer too. THANKS for the link to the TM. I will download it tonight.

DangerRanger - I didn't think that tread was military even though the guy selling those tires on CL claims it is. He said he was selling them because a project took a different direction. My guess is that he had an old CJ and was going to put those tires on for rock crawling. I googled Jegs for the tires that Harley showed and found a thread that mentions a tire distributor about 30 miles north of me that specializes in restoration tires. I'm going to call them tomorrow.

Here's what I'm leaning towards.... I think I'll stick with the military theme as it will go with any vehicle, plus it looks cool!! I'm kind of partial to military vehicles anyway growing up as a military brat. Plus, I can paint it OD with a cammo pattern using a spray can and still get a decent appearance. I think it will be a lot harder to match my Jeep using a spray can. Plus, if I do any mods to the tub, it will be easiest to match the OD instead of the Jeep red. I'm also leaning towards keeping the 16" wheels with the original military tread (again - looks very cool!!)

But, I still need questions 3 and 4 answered....

3) One of the wheel bearings is loose. How hard are replacement bearings to find? Or should I plan on replacing the axle with a new one that has easy to find bearings?

4) Obviously the tub and frame need blasted. Does the tub on these trailers unbolt from the frame or is it welded on? What's the best way to remove the tub from the frame? (Maybe the TM will tell me this?)

THANKS again guys!

JB

The tub does not unbolt on those trailers, they do for the m416. Wishe you were closer I'd trade one of my 416s for your m100. Not sure about the bearings but I am fairly sure there will be a civy counterpart. Check g503.com there is a 1/4 ton trailer forum there. Nice find. Found a thread that says to use Timken/Bower 18590 Cones, 18520 Cups, 4 Ea. Same as front/Rear MB/GPW, Front CJ-2A/CJ-3A/CJ-3B/CJ-5/M-38/M-38A1.

Last edited:

Tobiasinla

Nice trailer, I just paid more that twice that for the lunette assy, if someone with a red M101A2 would keep his suggestions to himself.........

Not sure about the bearings but I am fairly sure there will be a civy counterpart. Check g503.com there is a 1/4 ton trailer forum there. Nice find.
One random thread off the G

Marty said:
Same part numbers as those in the front hubs on an early CJ, MB, M38, etc! Online, an easy application would be a 55 CJ-3, front wheel bearing/s, same numbers, inner and outer.

18590 bearing
18520 race
6626S seal (National)
I haven't gotten that far to check the numbers so buyer beware

And you will need to buy the spindle nut tool for the same or you will be using a screwdriver / chisel

Tobiasinla

Here is anouther post by the owner of the RED M101A2 My suggestion:
Check here for parts:

Trailer Parts
:)

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2012 7:02 PM
Subject: Re: trailer parts

Lunette is in stock. I have M416 casting, but it is not the same as the M100. No M100 castings. John

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2012 10:52 AM
Subject: Re: trailer parts

good afternoon. thank you for the inquiry but I do not have a lunette for your trailer. As I'm sure you are finding out, that part is very hard to find and expensive when you do find it.

good luck in your search,

George

And a few phone rejections from the WW2 jeep parts sellers.

/ hijack off

Now back to the congradulations.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks