• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie with some M101A3 questions...

jbmilart

Howdy fellas... I've just bought my first trailer... a 1997 M116A2 cargo trailer through GL, now just waiting on the EUC paperwork to show up. My question is where do you find parts for these trailers? I see from the photos of the trailer that it seems to missing the master cylinder cap on the tongue... also would like to get a spare tire and wheel as well.
Here are some photos of the trailer I just bought...(won) still waiting for me to pick it up. Let me know what you fellas think... I hope it's a good trailer.

M116a3 trailer photo #1.jpgM116a3 trailer photo #2.jpgM116a3 trailer photo #4.jpgM116a3 trailer photo #12.jpgM116a3 trailer photo #11.jpgM116a3 trailer photo #9.jpg

The last photo shows the missing cap...

Thanks

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:

jbmilart

This was the description that GL gave to this trailer along with it's placard and serial numbers during the auction last Thursday... in fact there were 3 other trailers just like this one being offered with the same descriptions. Does GL make mistakes about trailer descriptions and model numbers? I don't know... being a newbie at this Government auction thing... all I know is that I've won the auction for this trailer... I think this looks like a great trailer for what I paid for it... but I still might need some parts for it... Most of you guys are the experts here... are there parts for these trailers... and where can I find them?

Thanks again for the information!

Jim

GREENMV

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check post above yours. Piper Cub and yes they do post wrong descriptions but that Is a nice trailer.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
all the surge brake parts are made by balcrank / toledo.

Croft trailer supplies sells the master cyl cap. There are 2 different styles- both work the same. vented and non ven tented.

m116 is the chasis, m101 is the bed mounted on the chasis. GL descriptions are trailer salad.

check the classifieds as there many humvee tires and rims listed as that looks like what you have.

jbmilart

Thanks fellas... I knew this was the best place to learn about military vehicles... learning already! I hope I can help you guys sometime... I guess it's just a waiting game for the EUC paperwork to clear... the girls on GL really gave me a helping hand with it...

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A nice M1070 would look good towing that trailer...........

(That's humor.)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your Ford will likely do OK. The M101A3 is one of the best small trailers you can get. Your appears to have all the racks, bows and maybe even a top. 55" between the inner fender wells means it will carry most stuff that fits in an 8' bed. The HMMWV tires sway a bunch when not properly inflated. I have one and love it but since I don't need the tall tires and they are quite heavy, I'm switching it back to regular stuff. Overall you would be hard pressed to find a better trailer.

Adjustable front landing gear and a rear stabilizer are a plus. BTW, the master cylinder cap is there, the steel and rubber vent line is missing. That's easily crafted using steel tube!

Last edited:

jbmilart

That just might be able to manage it..... :D

Now, what about lights? Do you already have the truck wired for trailer lights?
Yeah I think I've got that handled. I bought a hook-up adapter from a company here in Northern California that takes the 12 pin 24 volt plug and reduces it to a 7 pin connector for my truck. I still need to buy the 12 volt bulbs next... probably the 1156 and the 97 bulbs should do the trick. I bought the hook-up adapter because I'm not an electrician and don't want to screw up the wiring harness... so for 70 bucks I thought it would be a simpler answer and with less headaches for me in the long run... and keeping the original military hook-up intact. At least that was my thinking...

MarcusOReallyus

Yep, those bulbs will work. You might want to spend a bit more and get some LED bulbs. They are much brighter.

I replaced my military connector with a standard 7 pin, but I'm comfortable with wiring.

If you ever decide to convert it permanently, you could just replace the existing cable with one of these:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200312018_200312018

There's a junction box on the tongue rail, and some of us here can talk you through making the connections.

Some guys just rip out ALL the military lighting and replace it with civilian versions.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since the topic of this thread is your new M101A3, I'm going to add that to the title to help readers now and in the future while using the search feature.

jbmilart

Thanks guys for all the great information... I'm sure glad I joined your forum! I just ordered a M101A3/M116A3 operation and service manual (original 1997)... hoping this will help me in the future.

Question: Should I take extra chains for the break-away chains when I retrieve the trailer? I read here somewhere, that some of the original break-away chains are too short for the tow truck...

Question: Where do you attach the trailer plates on the trailer? (I know... somewhere in the back) LOL!

Question: What tools should I take with me to help in inspecting the trailer... making it road worthy when retrieving it from the holding area?

MarcusOReallyus

Question: Where do you attach the trailer plates on the trailer? (I know... somewhere in the back) LOL!

I currently have mine bolted onto the tailgate. No light. Gotta change that to pass inspection, so I'm going with the setup I linked to in this thread:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...it-one-of-us&p=1410695&viewfull=1#post1410695

As for what to take.... Basic mechanic's tools. A good lug wrench. Yes on the chains. Take some magnetic lights, in case things electrical aren't cooperating. You MUST have lights, so don't count on your adapter and a working system.

jbmilart

Thanks Marcus... I'll do that. Makes sense to bring magnetic lights as a plan (B). I'll check into the license plate hanger too. Might want to bring some high temp wheel grease and synthetic brake fluid as well... It sure would be a great thing if the lights worked right off the bat... go right to plan (A)... LOL!

Jim

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks