• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ReidC

Hey guys! I'm new. I'm from Texas and have lurked the forums for a while. I have always loved military vehicles, especially the Duece! I sort of want to take the plunge and buy a cucv, but want to hear you guys' opinion on the matter. Right now, I was hoping to buy a CUCV and do some basic mods ( lift, winch, paint,lights) and convert it into a hunting truck. They seem like they would do well. I was just wondering if this would be a good car to start working on. I don't have a ton of experience working on cars, but I'm not mechanically retarded. Is it hard to find parts or is the aftermarket well supported? Could you share some of your experiences with your first? Really just looking for a project to do this summer. Thanks in advance for any replies!

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I'd rather hitchhike with a deuce key in my pocket than ride in a CUCV.

I hated them when I had to drive them in the Army and my opinion has not mellowed with age.

If you are a glutton for punishment and an electrical wizard go for it.

hilber

My m1009(blazer) has done fine. It has been trouble free for the year I have owned it. I would suggest to do as I did and read every post you can in the CUCV forum. I spend 10 to 1 times reading as posting or more. I am not as smart as a 5th grader but smart enough to know to read these forum because these guys have been a lot farther down the road than me with regards to MV's. Now if you want to talk Real Estate I'll talk all day as I have 40 yrs experience selling it and averaged selling over 100 homes a year for the pawt 10 years.

hunderliggur

I've put almost 4000 miles on my M1009 since I got it last month. It reminds me a lot of my '76 K5 Blazer ;-). Runs great but I am prepared for something to go wrong. I am not more than 50 to 100 miles from home at any time so getting it home if it breaks won't be a problem. With basic PM it should run fine - yes its old, but it is SIMPLE. Hopefully I can start feeding it biodoesel this summer - then I will have to change a lot of fuel filters.

Cucvnut

I hated them when I had to drive them in the Army and my opinion has not mellowed with age.

how does this help ? thanks captain scare away the noobs with your poor attitude .

86m1028

That gave me a good laugh....

Im fixing one of mine by coverting to gas & doing away with all the stock electrical on it.

Welcome to the green fever.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I own TWO CUCV's right now. I've owned two more. AND A DEUCE.

Sorry WM, but you can KEEP your deuce - takes 'Soldier B' way to many times any time maintenance is required. It's even difficult just changing tires by yourself if you don't have a robotool to get the lug nuts off, and a 10 ton air over hydraulic jack to raise the whole thing in the air. YOU CAN change a tire manually by yourself, but if you are not in top shape it will take A LONG TIME and you WILL be exhausted when you finally put the tools away (ask me WHY I purchased both of those tools for my deuce).

While a deuce is a great truck and I loved mine, for similar money I bought an M1028A2 dually that does most of what my deuce did. I'm even modding my MKT75A with 16" dually wheels and tires to pull it easier behind the M1028A2.

ReidC,

I know you are down in the northern Austin area, but if no one else here steps up and offers, and you can spare a day, drive up to Keller, Tx and we'll go for a ride in both of my CUCV's. My other one is a M1009.

I can do almost ALL the work on my trucks without help, though I've got a buddy of mine that is a super diesel mechanic and has helped me on several occasions.

And I LOVE a truck that during the winter, the heater works, the WINDSHIELD WIPERS WORK, and it has a hard top that you can actually roll the window down to access the rear compartment - or in the case of my M1028A2 dually - lift the rear cover's window and you can access dry storage. Tough to do on a deuce.

Last edited:

ReidC

That would be sweet! What would one expect to spend on restoring/ modding one? Is it worth it to convert to 12V? I've been reading up all day... I have wanted a MV for years and now I have the finances to purchase my first, hopefully in the next month or two. Wallew, do you know of any good places to buy CCUV's that is somewhat local?

steelandcanvas

...takes 'Soldier B' way to many times any time maintenance is required. It's even difficult just changing tires by yourself if you don't have a robotool to get the lug nuts off, and a 10 ton air over hydraulic jack to raise the whole thing in the air. YOU CAN change a tire manually by yourself, but if you are not in top shape it will take A LONG TIME and you WILL be exhausted when you finally put the tools away (ask me WHY I purchased both of those tools for my deuce)...
Sounds as though you've gotten a little soft since moving to Texas Jim. Hope the CUCV doesn't start kickin' your butt! :)

richingalveston

2nd 1009 and a 1008 on the way

I have had a rust bucket 1009 bought from a friend, rusted out but ran and drove great so I bought what was a perfect body 1009 (in the auction pictures) until GL got ahold of it. Typical GL damage is bent driveshafts, dents in all body panels bent crossmember.

Buy from GL for a parts truck and you might get lucky and get a good one that they did not tear up with the fork lift.

I am on my way tomorrow to pick up the 1008 from ft. riley. I hope it still looks like it did in the pictures. This was not the case with my 1009 I picked up from Barstow 2 years ago from GL.

I know GL provides a service and they are not all bad but plan on what you get from there to be a parts truck.

As a newbie if you have 5 to 7k you can get a good truck from someone that has already done alot of work to make it a somewhat reliable truck.
GL and other auction trucks are 2 to 4k for a reason.

If you do go the auction route, buy something cheap that requires a EUC. get the first EUC approved (3-4 months) first that way your second EUC will take less than two weeks. The longer GL has it after the auction closes the worse off you will be. The longer they have it the more times they have to move it with a forklift not designed to pick it up.

If you do not know what an EUC is then get to know it before purchasing.

I have been there!!!!!! and done that!!!!!
just sharing my experience
but I do love my 1009

86m1028

That would be sweet! What would one expect to spend on restoring/ modding one? Is it worth it to convert to 12V? I've been reading up all day... I have wanted a MV for years and now I have the finances to purchase my first, hopefully in the next month or two. Wallew, do you know of any good places to buy CCUV's that is somewhat local?
Pm me
Im close, & have an m1028a3

Barrman

A lot of us or close to Cedar Park. The montly meeting was just last week, but come on out to Camp Mabry next month and you will meet about dozen members of this forum and see all kinds of vehicles.

Lone Star MVPA - Welcome!

Or, come join is in Temple a week or so from now at the air show.

Barrman

There has been a 1008 off US90 off and on in Sabinal for about 6 years now. It is probably that one since the town has like 4 houses. New paint job though. I drive through there every year or two.

I would be very suspicious of the 24-12 conversion wiring. You are probably going to be testing someone elses bright idea of how things should work. Keep reading every CUCV forum post since the beginning on this site and you will see what I am talking about.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks